Animal Genetics Test Results are back. Photos included.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
So the last two foals genetic results just came back.

This colt is Homozygous Tobiano Pinto, Negative for Frame (LWO) which the sire carries.

Both sire and dam are negative for Sabino (sb1). But I do think he carries another sabino gene.

Dam is a splashed white tobiano pinto.

Do you think he is carries the splashed white gene?

pizzazz1.jpg
pizzazz2.jpg

This black colt, Pacific Cupid, came back Frame (LWO) positive. No body white that we have found yet.

cupid1.jpg
cupid3.jpg

I have seen tests on solid horses without even a blaze come back LWO positive, and others that you would think would by the 'looks' of them, didnt, LOL

I have a black pinto stallion that would frequently produced the high white stockings and bald or apron faced white. Tested heterozygous for tobiano and negative for LWO and negative for sabino.. talking to the boys at UC Davis they felt he probably would test positive for the spashed white gene--but apparantly there isn't a test currently. Is that still true?

So I would think the first colt with the wide blaze may be the same. Course can't tell on the socks since he is white overall.

Interesting color patterns though. And even more interesting when you get the markers back!

Thanks for sharing~
default_biggrin.png

Thanks Julie.

There is no test currently for the splashed white gene.

But when there is, I have a lot of horse's DNA to send in.
default_biggrin.png

In my opinion, the first foal definately carries Splashed White. The off sided white on his face is a key clue. Does he by chance have blue eyes? It surprises me that he is not also LWO positive.

The Black colt reminds me so much of mine,

IMG_4314-1.jpg

His only white is on his face. His sire is LWO positive and I will be sending in a test on the foal soon.

I absolutely think the first one carries splash. Splash covers tobi markings up like the chest shield he would have had if he didnt carry splash

Sorry Freeland. I forgot to mention that they both have blue eyes.

KayKay, that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Thank you.

I just do not know enough about how the splashed white gene acts with other pinto genes. Any further help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back