Animal Abuse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my opion but I would never take anything on the internet that came from Peta at 'face value"

Anne

I second that opinion. I don't know how much I would take at "face value" from PETA personally. After reading the news article that was linked on the PETA page, it sounds like the authorities are doing a pretty good job of handling this themselves (which I think is wonderful to see!)

Letter writing can be a powerful thing! It helped in the Slick Gardner case!
default_yes.gif
:

I hope people don't dismiss this just because PETA is involved. If you read the PETA piece, you see there is a news link to an actual newspaper article that was written about that farm. According to the article, the Wisconsin Dept. of Ag and the police department are involved with the case. In my experience with animal rescue - if you are able to get authorities involved and keep them involved - it is QUITE serious.

I agree that you can't believe everything you hear. This is a terrible thing but sounds like they are on top of it without PETA's help. A couple years ago we had people reporting Rodney, (son) that he wasn't taking care of his dogs. He has 20+ sled dogs. All in a huge fenced in yard. Each dog has a 10-12 foot chain depending on the size of the dog, so they have a 20-24 foot circle to run in. Each have their own house filled with straw periodically as needed, are fed daily as per their weight, always have fresh cool water. And LOVE daily from 3-4 people. All arranged to be with a dog they like and noses can touch.

Well this woman was complaining that they were tied up. She seemed to think if you have any dogs they should be in the house with you or you should NOT have them. How rediculous is that. A husky would not be happy in the house. They love cold weather. In fact one of them is 6 yrs old and NEVER uses his house. Never Has. Curls up in a little ball and lets the snow cover him. He loves it.

Called the sheriff and reported animal abuse. Bernie came out personally and talked to Rodney. Found nothing out of order. She came up behind our yard took video and threatened to give it to the Minneapolis tv station. Which is a station we get in our area. Sheriff Bernie called her and told her that if he heard one more word from her he would fine her for trespassing as she had to cross 3 peoples land to get to ours from behind. Never heard another word.
default_smile.png
Our dogs and horses are very well taken care of, but the mud, like we all had, is animal abuse to some people. Go figure. I don't like the mud either but the horses do have their shelter to get out of it. So I don't consider it abuse. Am I thinking right? I hope so.

Sorry to rant but I have NO TIME for PETA.

I wouldnt take a lot of what Peta has to say at face valu personally. If the proper authorities are already involved (which it sounds like they are, along with rescues) they will take care of the matter according to laws.. Corinne

Yes, if you read the news article it states what has been going on. I know when it comes to PETA many people shy away, but this is no exaggeration. My friend has seen first hand the horror of this place. She is actively involved in trying to get a prosecution. She has been told by the DA that there may not be enough evidence. Please help out and make a call and let them know this kind of treatment should not continue.

Sorry but as soon as I see PETA I stop listening.

What is their problem- the authorities are involved, they are getting something done- why does Peta see the need to interfere- perhaps they just want the publicity- then, when the case is cleared and they all take time to clear, Peta can claim they did it!!

No, I would have nothing to do with it, sorry.

I'm a little closer to this case, you can read more about it on the discussion forum for Midwest Horse Welfare Foundation. Yep, the police/sheriff's department are on top of this one. They have video, pictures, eye witness accounts and all, but the DA does not see the need to act in this case. I too, do not care for a lot of what PETA does. In fact, I was saddened to see that they were involved, because I knew that would cause many to stop listening. The fact is that this woman is abusing animals, has been for YEARS and they can't ge the DA to do anything about it. Please read the thread on this in the other forum if you have an interest in helping these animals. You can gain a lot more information there. It is through the efforts of the readers of that forum that we were able to get this out to the media and get the ball rolling on this case.

www.equineadoption.com

I'm a little closer to this case, you can read more about it on the discussion forum for Midwest Horse Welfare Foundation. Yep, the police/sheriff's department are on top of this one. They have video, pictures, eye witness accounts and all, but the DA does not see the need to act in this case. I too, do not care for a lot of what PETA does. In fact, I was saddened to see that they were involved, because I knew that would cause many to stop listening. The fact is that this woman is abusing animals, has been for YEARS and they can't ge the DA to do anything about it. Please read the thread on this in the other forum if you have an interest in helping these animals. You can gain a lot more information there. It is through the efforts of the readers of that forum that we were able to get this out to the media and get the ball rolling on this case.

www.equineadoption.com

Thanks you for that update! I've been involved with local dog/cat rescue for years (not PETA). What has to be understood is that it is very difficult to prosecute cases like these because of just what you said above. It seems there is always someone who puts the brakes on things. Really, our laws are not all that generous to our animals! I'm saddened that so many don't care BECAUSE PETA is involved. It appears that there are knowledgeable people outside of PETA that have said that animals are suffering and dying at that place. Sometimes a little public outrage is needed to help with a situation. Yes, it sounds like the proper authorities are doing what they can, but sometimes that is not enough.

[SIZE=10pt]I dont for a minute pretend to know any thing about Peta, but did forward this link to a friend who's buisness is nothing more then to rescue horses....[/SIZE]

Lori

PREFACE: Perhaps the anesthesia and meds/antibiotic from two surgeries in a month, BUT...

Edited to Apologize:

I had a night to SLEEP OVER MY POST regarding this topic, and must apologize for the written frustration expressed on this Forum. PLEASE FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE!

Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
PREFACE: Perhaps the anesthesia and meds/antibiotic from two surgeries in a month, BUT...

Other than writing a news article and numerous requests for donations, there's absolutely NO "CONTACT US" button to push. :new_shocked: By the time the story was written, inclusive of requests to "write officials".......how have the tormented animals been helped????!!!
default_sad.png

That said, one wonders if this is a mere rallying of kind hearted folks to do their bidding -- rather than garnering someone with people/animals skills to politely contact the woman directly.

Question -- why didn't the photographer strike a deal to purchase the animals.....while surveying the farm. Surely, there's many resources (monetary contributors) who'd cough up the money on behalf of these horses....within a day or two.

Very often (please read "Horses of Proud Spirit....written by a woman kind enough to offer sanctuary for neglected horses) if someone kindly approaches the tormentor with respect they may not deserve, they can appeal to their potential lack of funds (to help to care for the animals) and relinquish them for a nominal fee.

With the financial BACKING of PETA, to those folks bringing these sick animals into their homes, then nursing them -- until such time as they may be placed in a permanent home.

The handling of this particular situation by said organization is the equivalent of spittin in the wind!
default_frusty.gif
:

Just sayin is all......flame away!

P.S. - Color me weird, but with regard the utilization of the word "RESCUING" a horse requires a safety net and helicopter to remove them from a dangerous situation (like the side of a mountain -- which I saw for myself in Switzerland.

Guess the way I figure it is ...... if an animal is in trouble and I/we see it, then God is providing us with an opportunity to make a creature's life better. I.e. - don't let the right hand know what the left hand is doing.

In the past couple years, a few folks have accused me of "making money off selling abused horses brought back to health". However, what they fail to realize is the vet bills, special feed, etc. incurred to achieve the goal.
default_poke.gif
: That's all I ask.....no more.
Actually, the last thing we want to do is purchase these horses from this woman. She has numerous times been fined for mistreatment of animals and how she pays the fines and court costs is to sell off a few horses and then go out and get more to lock in a stall filled with manure to their knees, or tie to a post in the yard until is expires, etc.... While it is a honest and kind thought to save the horses by purchasing them from her, all it will do is condemn future horses to a life of misery.

I'm really confused here.

I've been hanging around for a couple of years now and have seen Lil Beginnings members jump up and stand in line to help out in abuse cases. I also know from past posts that PETA is not a favorite organization of our members. But, I don't understand the apparant lack of concern about these poor animals. It isn't the animals fault that PETA is involved. Will someone please explain (without flaming me). Thanks.

Actually, the last thing we want to do is purchase these horses from this woman. She has numerous times been fined for mistreatment of animals and how she pays the fines and court costs is to sell off a few horses and then go out and get more to lock in a stall filled with manure to their knees, or tie to a post in the yard until is expires, etc.... While it is a honest and kind thought to save the horses by purchasing them from her, all it will do is condemn future horses to a life of misery.
Yes, you're absolutely right! Much as it pains our hearts for these poor animals, a better course is getting the appropriate "governing officials" to GET INVOLVED....fast!

If the DA's won't act upon a case brought before them by Sheriff and local animal control officials, complete with photographic evidence of the current case and a criminal history of same behavior....then I suggest the COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF CLARK COUNTY be advised.

Perhaps, the Supervisors will perform an immediate investigation as to WHY THIS CASE IS NOT BEFORE A JUDGE -- who will certainly understand the immediacy of protecting these animals?

Nothing like politely following the "chain of command".
default_wink.png
:

This has been a VERY INTERESTING post. A few weeks back, I got flamed for speaking up about a certain "rescue" that took place also here in Wisconsin. These horses were also purchased, which I completely disagreed with. These horses were being fed, watered and had clean living conditions, granted they did need some hoof work done, but that was also minor, (long toes and walking off the heel) not a one of these horses looked extreamly emancipated, but yet "rescue" went in and purchased them, which I think was completely wrong on there part. All purchasing does is allow the "breeder" to go on breeding more and more animlas...which is exactly what happened in the case I am referring to, every mare is bred back for next spring again, so in reality all this did by rescue buying these horse was ENABLE this breeder to go on and on...is rescue going to make it a habit of purchasing ALL the horses that are being bred by mini mills, so the owners can go on and on breeding more and more to suffer in there hands?? If horses are surrendered , its a differant story, no one is going to keep breeding and breeding mares, and GIVE the foals away without some payment. This animal abuse case, authorities need to be much more involved, and people need to get the ball moving once and for all. Someone needs to wake the DA up, for the sake of the animals! There is a woman up my way who sounds just like this woman..the one up my way has been fined, jailed, we have taken horses left and right from her, she has been booted out of counties for animal abuse, you name it and she has been seved with papers about it...now, finally after years and years of this, she has no animals by her home..only because she knows she is being watched, BUT--she still goes to auctions to buy and buy, but now keps them at another farm...which is also being watched now, and the owner is aware of it, because I have personally talked to him and do keep up on alot of things with him. Bottom line is our LAWS need to be changed, to protect the animlas, and do justice to the ones abusing the animals! I have said what I feel is right as far as buying animals, in situations, so now I guess I will put my flame proof suit on.(unless my post gets deleated like the last time I expressed my views on the Wisc. rescue, however this posting was not on the Back Porch) RESCUE should be just that--to RESCUE animals in need of being RESCUED ...and this "animal abuse" post is a very good and clear example when rescue SHOULD take place!

This has been a VERY INTERESTING post. . .

said what I feel is right as far as buying animals, in situations, so now I guess I will put my flame prrof suit on once again, and get flamed (unless my post gets deleated like the last time)

No flames from me, I hear you loud and clear and agree 100%!!!

These animals do need to be rescued so why are we going back and forth on how it should be done?

do we not "buy" animals from shelters? we sure do have to pay for them! I know that buying from a shelter and buying from a person who is abusing are very different things. Adopting from a shelter gives them money to feed, shelter ect more animals in need, buying from a abuser gives that person more money to buy another animal, breed another animal, abuse another animal. It al really depends on what is good enough for the rescuer, in each case the rescuer still gets to say they have rescued an animal.

I think a person's choice in this case shows how they think, in the here and now ( i have saved this animal from death) or in the long run of things (I have saved many animals form death). I can't help but think that shelters hardy ask for enough money to adopt animals and what you pay depeding on how long the animal has been there could not even cover the food it's eaten. Of course if you buy form the abuser you are more then likely giving them a profit. So what is more morly correct? I personaly can not choose. I would like it if the law worked quickly and more effictly at shutting animal abusers down and getting the animals to shelters, or rescues, but that is not the case. Sometimes we do have to take matters into our own hands and buy out the absuer even though we know there is a chance of them doing it again, but there is also a chance they will not. Why can't we reach a medium here, buying the animal recording it's condtion contact the police with the proof and get them shut down? maybe it's not so black and white after all.

As for PETEA I bloody hate them, I don't think that they should be in the involvement of any animal rescue. Records from 1994 to 2004 show an 80% death rate in all animals they took in (pet and wild). Of course the blowing up of mailboxes does not help my veiw on them much. Vegatians came around at lunch and handed out petea crap at school one day about KFC, it consited of a bloody knife on the front cover, because that is so how they kill chickens :lol:

and also I can't get over how they got away with posting those photos up on the internet. Is there not some kind oflaw protecting this lady, i don't know something about her privicy, how did they get those photos? she may be doing wrong but is not protected under the laws at least until she is proven guilty of a crime?

No-one is in any doubt that they should be rescued, we just do not want to have ANYTHING to do with PETA, no do we want to be in a situation where PETA can claim they did the rescue- of course if there were no other recourse then rescue would take priority over the latter worry.

Latest posts

Back