Angry, disgusted but mostly heartbroken

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I went to the auction again this evening. I honestly don't think I can go anymore. It was REALLY bad tonight! A lot of the horses couldn't even stand up they were so weak. There was a baby just laying on the ground with his head propped up against the metal fence. Some of them were SO skinny. I wanted to cry the whole time but managed to hold it in until I reached my car and then I lost it...all the way home. I don't think I will go back until I am prepared to bring one home...the worst one there. For the first time, I can finally understand why people say it is sometimes kinder to put them down. If no one is going to help them, then it is for the best. So so sad
default_no.gif

Wow, that sounds bad.
default_sad.png
That is horrible that people are so concerned with making a bit of money that they would take a horse to an auction in that shape.
default_no.gif

Brandi --

I'm so sorry!!!!

I've never been to any kind of a horse auction. I know some are better than others and there are some mini only ones. I just know if I went, I'd make impulse buys. And, if I went to a bad one, I don't think I could handle it emotionally.

I'm really sorry it was a bad one
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Jill

Personally I would like to
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
the owners or horse brokers that bring animal to auctions in that state. I am surprised because most auction houses will not accept animals that are unable to get up. There is usually a vet on site, it's the law apparently in the U.S. and the vet has the power when seeing an animal down to humanely destroy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located?? We are in FL and the auctions have been very bad< BUT the AG agent has to be on hand and every horses has to be walking without aid and be in fair health. ITs the law! SOrry you had to see that its horrible what people do.

People are not wanting to bring the horses to the sales in that condition, it is a last ditch action. Wether you want to face it or not with so many losing their jobs or taking pay cuts, the rising cost of fuel and food, the soaring cost of hay and grain so many just can not care for these horses anymore, the rescues are full, can't sell them, can't even give them away....many can not bear to euthanize though it may be better in the end, this is what stopping slaughter with an economy in recession, during a drought year, while turning feed grain to ethanol, has created. Things are snowballing to the detriment of so many helpless animals.

Public horse auctions in general are not happy places, but I've not seen one that bad. Stormy nailed it right on the head though, and it probably won't improve any time soon.

Jan

People are not wanting to bring the horses to the sales in that condition, it is a last ditch action. Wether you want to face it or not with so many losing their jobs or taking pay cuts, the rising cost of fuel and food, the soaring cost of hay and grain so many just can not care for these horses anymore, the rescues are full, can't sell them, can't even give them away....many can not bear to euthanize though it may be better in the end, this is what stopping slaughter with an economy in recession, during a drought year, while turning feed grain to ethanol, has created. Things are snowballing to the detriment of so many helpless animals.

Well, they could sure choose to sell a horse BEFORE it gets into that deplorable condition - no matter how much I love my animals and want to keep them, if I knew they were going to have to start doing without I'd rehome them one way or another.

Well, they could sure choose to sell a horse BEFORE it gets into that deplorable condition - no matter how much I love my animals and want to keep them, if I knew they were going to have to start doing without I'd rehome them one way or another.

With the way things are, I wouldn't be surprised if many of those people DID try to sell their horses, before resorting to taking them to auction, but had no success.
default_sad.png

I don't agree with letting any animal get into such horrible shape either. It is really sad, and Stormy is so right... I'm afraid that things are going to get a lot worse still...
default_sad.png

Stormy is right in every remark! Also I would like to add that if these people had not brought these horses to the sale they would have been left to die a very slow miserable death. Also as someone else stated if a horse can't walk and then stand at the sale the sale barn can and should refuse the horse. Most people like to blame the sale barn but it is not their fault that these animals are in this condition. What should be done is for the sale barn to call the ASPCA and have the original owners of the animals made to acount for their actions!

It is the same auction I posted on a few weeks back...it just wasn't that bad last time. It is here in Ca. I think a lot of the horses were sick because their weight wasn't bad but they just didn't want to move. I tried to take a picture of the worst one there. She was standing up but SO skinny. She was a black appaloosa with a white snow cap. SO pretty. Maybe she had been nursing a foal and thats why she was SO skinny but she was also terrified. When I was leaving I heard one of the gals that work there say, "oh, here comes the rescue group" like it was a bad thing. But after that she said, well I hope they can help some of these horses out tonight. Maybe it only appeared so bad because there were a lot of sick ones. There is a dark corner of the sale where they keep horses that aren't going through the sale, but that are in "training" or for sale otherwise. (this is what the owner told me last night) That is where I found most of the ones laying down and skin and bones. One baby was black as night and he blended in with the mud he was laying in. My heart sank because I was sure he was dead. But then it was just cold enough to cause a white poof of air as he breathed. His lead rope was wrapped around his belly and looked really uncomfortable so I went in his pen to try and get it off of him. He just layed there as I tugged on the rope. Finally as I moved to his back side he got up. Several of them had chains around their necks with numbers on them. I think they might have been a shippment from another state. I think I might do some research and see just how regulated the Turlock sale is. To me it seems like there isn't anybody looking out for these horses. The owner himself beats his horses. The first time I went this year he was saddling an old appaloosa gelding for his daughter that was about 6. The old man(horse) penned his ears at the little girl when she walked up to him and the guy started socking the horses stomach over and over again. Then as he was cinching him up, he penned his ears again and the guy started beating him across the face with the leather reins. THEN as he was taking him to the arena, he opened the gate and the horse kept walking straight so the guy took the gate and slammed it into the horses face
default_no.gif
I honestly think the horse just thought they were going straight...there was so much going on around him he probably didn't even see the guy open the gate. Once in the arena the old man(horse) was a saint and towed the little brat around like a gentleman. I told my husband, now there's a good horse. Anyways, it seems to me that if anybody who knew anything about humane treatment of animals was there, something would be done. All the ponies that were there were of good weight except one. She looked like a quarter pony or something close to that. And maybe a year old. Her back leg wa wrapped and she wouldn't stand on it. It looked like it was wrapped so tight. But that wasn't the worst thing. She was just skin and bones. Her little face was just as sweet as could be. As I stood there wanting to cry while I looked at her and whisped sweet nothings into her scared little ear, a little girl, probably about 10 climbed through the fence and started petting her. Her dad walked up and just watched as his daughter picked out her horse. It made me so happy to know that they were going to bid on her
default_yes.gif
They looked like good people and she really needed the help. Anyways, whether it's the reality or not, it is not right. If everyone just turns the other cheeck and says there's nothing I can do, it will never change. I really think a license should be required for breeding any animal. Most "backyard" breeders would stop because they wouldn't want to pay the fees.

Sorry for writing a book. I just have a lot of thoughts brewing in my head right now
default_wacko.png

If everyone just turns the other cheeck and says there's nothing I can do, it will never change.
I truly am not trying to be mean or sarcastic but isn't this exactly what you are doing? You said you took pictures. Call the local news channels, radio stations, animal shelters, etc. Get the ball rolling.

Isn't that what I just said I was going to start doing...hence why I say "research". I would like to be well informed before I start making a commotion. And I couldn't get any pics because it was with my cell phone and it was too dark. All the pics I took are just black. Whether you were trying to be polite or not, I do NOT appreciate you insinuating that I am contributing to this because I am still doing my research. I am not looking for advice, I just needed to vent.

If everyone just turns the other cheeck and says there's nothing I can do, it will never change.
I truly am not trying to be mean or sarcastic but isn't this exactly what you are doing? You said you took pictures. Call the local news channels, radio stations, animal shelters, etc. Get the ball rolling.

Thank you for the info. I will check it out.

Edited:

Wow I just read the article. I wish that I knew the guys name. I wonder if it's the same owner still. Nothing has changed so it probably is. I will call animal control tomorrow and start a complaint.

Well there is a better answer to these lives than taking them to auction in deplorable shape.....humanely put them down before leaving their home!!!! :DOH! :DOH! Blame the lack of slaughter houses but the closing of them did not create this situation, it is the almighty dollar that has been made with the exploitation of horses!! For cripes sake stop breeding and take care of what is already here.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
This infuriates me because blame is being put where it is not deserved. Let those who have made the money in the past from horses now pay for their disposal rather than take them to an auction for more suffering. There are places to dispose of the bodies if one searches them out......what is really sad is the owner of that horse at auction thinks they have to make yet that last dollar by selling the horses!! Let's be civilized! The horse has been known to carry men through wars, work for men on ranches etc. Don't they deserve better than being mistreated at the end? Mary

Mary you are absolutely right and a great post.

However, if the auction houses would not accept them in this condition or call the authorities on people who bring them in this shape maybe those who let the animal get into this condition would be the ones held accountable. Fined, required to pay for humanely euthanizing them, rather than handed a check for so much a pound.

I cant even go to the pound to get barn cats as I am upset that I cant take them all home with me.

I agree that it's not the closing of slaughter houses that has caused all this damage. Look at other countries who "raise" horses for the purpose of meat. The horses run in open fields (living wild) and are brought in when it's their time to go to the slaughter house. Whether or not we as Americans believe it's right to slaughter horses is irrelevant. It's a market that exists and that won't change. BUT we can change the overpopulation of these horses by stopping things before they get bad. I personally think all horse breeds need to go through and inspection (like they do for WB's) and those who pass can be bred. Those who don't need to be castrated and/or spayed. This way any "pet" quality horse will not procreate.

I do have to say that it appears many people get up in arms about slaughter houses yet don't have anything detrimental to say about humane societies. Now set aside the unfair treatment the horses, cows, etc experience but look at the over all similarities of the two (the only difference being Humane societies HUMANELY put the animals down). But there are numerous animals that get dropped off to HS's b.c the owner "can't care for them" or they didn't fit in with the family. And we're not just talking young animals, we're talking animals that have been in the family for years. IMO the family should just put the animal down if they no longer can care for the animal or keep it. Same with horses. If you can't keep it, can't sell it, then put it down yourself. Don't let the animal go through the aution houses and slaughter houses and become a victim.

I know I got off track but I needed to point out the similairities of the two to show we don't just do it to horses we do it to our house pets too. I also think the horses need to go through a preliminary check before going through the auction. If the horse is in poor health or is so far gone that it will end up dying anyway then they should be destroyed humanely before hand.

Unfortunatly the unethical treatment of animals will always be around as long as humans are around. We as humans have problems with being inferior and need to have a scapegoat of some sort. Animals are the easy way to handle these issues and most of them can't and won't fight back. In the end human feels better when they have knocked down something bigger then they.

It's sad all the same but something can and should be done to change they system. Someone just has to plant the seed.

Latest posts

Back