Anderson or Parelli

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky Seven,

Parelli use to offer an Introduction to Natural Horsemanship DVD for free, not sure they still offer this, if they don't I have one I'd be happy to send you for free.

Wishing you success with Seven.

I also am NOT a PP fan at all...can't stomach his wife
default_smileypuke.gif
. I think he has done a lot of good and some bad...and I think you could say that about every trainer, vet, horseshoer and doctor!
default_wacko.png
...don't care at all for Monty Roberts, that man has a lot of dirty secrets under his sleeves I suspect!

If I were to choose a excellent trainer to take your horse to, hands down I would pick Buck Brannaman. He is not the best with people, but he sure knows his horses and learned from the Ray Hunt and Tom & Bill Dorrence and the were absolutly the BEST
default_yes.gif

I also like Clinton Anderson too..he is Very good with people and I like his methods. I also like Craig Cameron a lot too...has a great Smile and is good with horses
default_wink.png

There is my two cents! Good luck with getting your horse straightned out
default_smile.png

Blessings,

Jenny
I have to agree with you about Buck. I am very impressed with him as well. He and PP had the same mentors, but have done different things with it. PP is a marketing genuis. And actually I enjoy his wife more than I do him. LOL to each their own. Now Clinton, he is very good and his methods have helped me a lot more with my "biggie" than PP did. Plus, Clinton is just plain fun to listen to and look at :-D

When I really get stern with seven and get after him when he nips, well...........he holds a grudge. I mean I can't get near him! I end up leaving him alone for a few days to a week until he gets over it. I am beginning to think I need to start from scratch with him, like he doesn't know anything at all. Will keep you all updated. It doesn't help that I am laid up right now so Im taking the time to come up with a game plan. I intend to keep a journal and keep track of any progress and go over it in the spring. He is my first mini and the mini 'tude is way different from the big ones I am used to. But he sure is cute!

When he holds his grudge, can you put him in a stall where you can more easily catch him? Leave a halter on him with a short rope (about 12-18") attached. Make sure the halter is well fitting so he can't get a foot caught in it.

I still wish there as a good trainer nearby. It doesn't need to be a miniature trainer, a good big horse trainer would do.

I would probably put him in a stall and remove him from his other horse buddies so he has no choice but to turn to you (or another person you trust) for company.

By leaving him alone when he holds his grudge, you are actually giving him what he wants - which is to be left alone. He needs to learn that he must have manners and that he will have to submit to being handled daily. In exchange he will receive food, water, and eventually he'll enjoy the love you give him.

So when he nips, pop him with the chain and then continue petting, grooming, etc. So he learns that nipping will be corrected and he still needs to put up with being handled.

When he holds his grudge, can you put him in a stall where you can more easily catch him? Leave a halter on him with a short rope (about 12-18") attached. Make sure the halter is well fitting so he can't get a foot caught in it.

I still wish there as a good trainer nearby. It doesn't need to be a miniature trainer, a good big horse trainer would do.

I would probably put him in a stall and remove him from his other horse buddies so he has no choice but to turn to you (or another person you trust) for company.

By leaving him alone when he holds his grudge, you are actually giving him what he wants - which is to be left alone. He needs to learn that he must have manners and that he will have to submit to being handled daily. In exchange he will receive food, water, and eventually he'll enjoy the love you give him.

So when he nips, pop him with the chain and then continue petting, grooming, etc. So he learns that nipping will be corrected and he still needs to put up with being handled.
I agree 100%. He NEEDs to respect you.

Clinton has a great DVD on dealing with behavioral issues such a biting(nipping) and a lot more.

I will pick up as many ca tapes as I can to watch over the winter. Weather gets so bad can't do much anyway. A new barn opened up and I have contacted them to see what they offer in the way of horsemanship training.

I hadn't really follwed any one person and still don't. BUT i was lucky enought o be able to go to the WEG in KY last year and stumbled upon CA doing a demo with his mini Phoenix. Gotta say i was surprised to see one of these "big guys doing something - anything with a mini. i ended up findign one of his satff memebers who said that Phoenix was bought as a traveling partner for his tour horse Diez and as with all of CA's horses they put him thorugh the groundwork of Clinton's method. This guy did great and Clinton was good with him - i thinkt he audience was pretty surprised in general. After the demo i followed CLintona dn crew back to his tent booth area and waitied to ask him personally about his mini. Just as his staff said, CLinton siad that all of his horses are put through his method and that Phoenix is no different - he knows his Fundamentals and Intermediate groundwork. he was a really nice guy and spent as much time as he needed to answer all the questions everyone had for him. can't say that about PP - he didn't seem to have time for his fans? Tommie Turvey was pretty great to talk to as well.

Anyway - since keeping tabs on CA i discovered he has all of his TV shows on the internet for FREE - no membership no tricks. that scored him points in my book
default_smile.png
here it is

www.downunderhorsemanship.tv

What In mean by holding a grudge, he won't let me in. He tosses his head and will let me feed him but expects me to keep my distance. He acts this way for awhile then hr goes back to normal. Miss Gracie thanks for the offer. If you want email me privately. I checked ebay and couldn't find the ones that I want. I received the CA catalog in the mail but haven't looked it over yet. Thanks all

What In mean by holding a grudge, he won't let me in. He tosses his head and will let me feed him but expects me to keep my distance. He acts this way for awhile then hr goes back to normal. Miss Gracie thanks for the offer. If you want email me privately. I checked ebay and couldn't find the ones that I want. I received the CA catalog in the mail but haven't looked it over yet. Thanks all
He is being so disrespectful to you its not even funny. I don't care that this is a mini, imagine a big horse doing this, it could be downright dangerous. Mini's are horses period, you can't treat them no different. I highly recommend looking into Clinton's fundamentals package. It really changes the horse and makes him more respectful. If I'm having issues with anything I always try to remeber to go back to the fundamentals, thats how valuable this package is. Clinton has said if everyone teaches their horse the fundamentals he would be out of the job.

I couldn't get the e-mail to work so I IM'd you. Let me know if you didn't get it.

I also highly recommend the Fundamentals Kit Clinotn made. It may seem very expensive when you first look, members can get it for $399 or on Ebay, but Ebay prices are not much less. It contains I think 14 HD DVD's a book on how he looks at horse behavior and training, arena mates which are informative little books to stick in your pocket or hang somewhere handy, and broken down steps of each exercise, horse problems, handler problems, etc. He makes it so clear and so easy to not only teach your horse, but to understand the why of what your teaching. I have used his method of training for 12 years and still learned something new in his Fundamental Kit. Lots of people resell them when they are finished and ready to move on to the Intermediate exercises. It's worth its weight in gold as they say in this area (gold mines in Nevada). You can't buy the value of that kit anywhere else.

And if you want to "try before you buy", you can become a club member and see many of the same information for free on the club website. Also, there is a horse related DVD rental company that works like Netflix where you can "rent" the DVDs. It is a bit of a waiting list to get to the Fundamentals but there are other CA DVDs available while you wait. In both cases, there is no long term commitment required.

I probably have the first videos Clinton Anderson put out from 10-ish years ago. I just get his training and the words he uses. I always watch other trainers too, some I don't even understand what they are doing or saying......makes me mad <sigh> but I always go back to Clinton. I watch is free programs on RFDTV and any others I can UNDERSTAND...........

I lunge, bend and flex my minis, I also use clicker training.

I like CA's website. His is very imformative. I am trying to use a little parelli and ca mixed together. I wish the videos weren't so expensive. Also you have to buy the halters, sticks and leads. Wish they would simplify the equipment to keep costs down.

You don't have to buy the equipment, it just makes thing go faster and easier, but you can still get the job done with a oridinary halter and lead and you can use like a lounge whip or driving whip. However I won't use anything else cause I like the products personally. Check on ebay for great deals.

I have not read all the replies due to being on my phone. I am a clinton anderson follower! I saw him at one of the tour stops. He was easy to understand what he ment when he was working with the horses...and he actually made progress with them to. I have used his techniques for my witchy bad mannered poa mare and they worked so well with her. I am also using his training for my 2yr old stud colt and he's imo the best mannered stud cold I've ever been around. I really like CA.

I do not like Parelli.

To be perfectly honest here I don't think it is the horse that needs training - it's you. A horse is a horse whether it is 2 feet tall or 10 feet tall. They all behave with the same basic instincts, the difference between them is intelligence level and personal character. The smarter the horse is the smarter you have to be and I think your little guy is quite intelligent and has you figured out. Horses use very subtle tests to establish dominance while avoiding injury to themselves. A knowledgeable trainer or layperson with good equine instincts doesn't permit the horse to become dominant. Unfortunately you missed the signs and have allowed your little horse to quite firmly establish that he is dominant over you. This will quite quickly escalate to other humans and needs to be nipped in the bud NOW. I can see this horse becoming downright dangerous very shortly if you don't get him in hand. You are in NY and can't find a trainer to help you out? There are quite a few of them in the state - try googling for them and then ask for references. You don't need any particular discipline or belief, what you need is to learn basic horsemanship and a bit of time put on your horse to retrain him so that you can go home and put things right with your little guy. I am just across the border in Ontario and have had a couple horses here from New York. I would be happy to help you out if you really can't find a trainer closer.

I am not sure if you have another horse that lunges.?

If so can put both in the round pen and start lunging the one that knows how too with using your whip the other will catch on much faster than.

If not try just a short lead line start with small circles and praise praise praise than start going wider until he catches on, he might not know what you are wanting and so just stops.

Say walk and never hit the horse with the whip just right behind the back heels, have to be able to make the sound with the whip, it takes time and patients.

Good Luck.

Rebie, my other horse is an old ott standardbred, he was never formally trained to lunge.

MiloMinis, you are right on, what I have is a mini who knows how to lunge, I have lunged him in the past. Earlier this summer I was lunging at walk and trot transiitons, he flew into a gallop, yanked the line out of my hand and ran from one pen to another and into his stall. I had a tussle getting the line off him and he hasn't cooperated since that time. It was suggested that I find tapes that describe how to deal with horses with behavior problems. That was what I was asking, who was better with this type of behavior problem, CA or Parelli. He is really smart and keeps me off balance most of the time. I have also noticed now when I lead him, instead of walking on my right, he lags behind and shifts over to my left. When I worked with him yesterday, just asking him to walk with me politly, he started jigging and rearing up at me, I just kept going and after trying alot of the tricks he has used in the past to win the battle, he decided it was less work to behave. So I finished really feeling that I succeeded with him this time. My job is to keep that up, he needs to learn that he is going to work alot harder if he misbehaves. I have succeded with one of his major behavior problems that he came with, food aggression. I can now work around him, clean his stall and rub him without him mule kicking me.

Latest posts

Back