Anderson or Parelli

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky seven

Reaction score
I'm looking at these trainers for ideas on working with Seven, he needs to listen better to me and I think these trainers have good ideas. I have read some here who don't like Parelli at all. Could I get some input and what training levels you have found work with your horses? I need help with lunging, he doesn't listen at all. We need a much better connection. I used to watch both trainers on RFD but no longer get that channel. So will be buying books and dvd's, don't want to spend money on stuff that won't work for minis. thanks

My advice is... Don't just follow one, follow all. Get used stuff off on ebay, or find stuff on your local craigslist, don't have to buy brand new stuff. Agree or disagree with trainers is more open minded and wanting to learn, then going to the same trainer, learn your own techniques and do what you start feeling is right. I don't like parelli for what he has done behind, and in front of people, and I hate HIS followers because they act like he is God, but that is another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing the way PP and his wife Linda treat horses in their care I would not touch anything he does or says with a six foot, plastic coated, barge pole. If you wish to see some of his work, especially the debacle with the show jumper who did not like to be bridled, it is all out there on You Tube, including his wife abusing a very confused horse.

I would recommend you try to find someone local to you, who you can watch and decide if you like their approach for yourself, and steer well clear of anyone who relies on selling you high priced, unnecessary , gimmicks.

Books and videos are all very well, but they are no substitute for hands on hard work and experience!

Find a local mentor, is my advice, and leave these "experts" well alone.

Got to agree with Rabbitfizz on this one. Maybe it is because we are about the same age. But these trainers have to make a living somehow... not on me though.

I am another who would avoid Parelli.

Practice, patience, and consistency. Some times you need to be firm, it's just a case of knowing when. And firm is not synonymous to mean or abuse.

I follow Clinton Anderson's methods and I say probably 90% of his groundwork I do with the minis. I had a horse who has never been trained for obstacle and first time this year working with him on Clinton's method and showing him in obstacle he placed 3rd in Halter Obstacle at Nationals this year. You don't have to buy his products but I defintely think it helps make it go faster, plus I love his halters for the minis and will not use nylon halters again. Plus he has always says you don't have to use his products to get the job done it just makes it faster and easier.

What rabbitsfizz says is true on Parelli and go and search for videos on youtube.

I personally avoid anything PP, but have had great success when I've applied methods by CA as prescribed. As with anything, if not followed as directed, they won't produce the desired outcome, but when I didn't cut any corners and really followed what he said, I felt those horses and I both learned a lot. I can tell a difference in my herd when I work with one I've used the ground training methods on and which ones I haven't.

Currently, at least in my area, CA new shows (yes, new ones!) are shown on Fox Sports Midwest. I would assume they are also on the other Fox Sports channels.

I will say I am not a Parelli fan at all. I find him to talk and say one thing, then act out another way. Like mentioned above, his followers act like he is God. It is crazy.

With that being said, I do like Clinton Anderson a lot. I find his methods are pretty basic and apply to every sized horse. I have had great success using his methods. Now CA methods come from a long line of "natural" horseman. There are many who practice & teach the same principles. I would say buy a CA video (sometimes you can find used copies on Ebay) or two. You will not be disappointed.

I would also like to recommend that you get the book, "Don't Shoot the Dog," by Karen Pryor to get a real strong understanding of how training works in the different modalities. Different styles are going to be more effective than others in general, and definitely your personality will dictate what is best for you. But understand what it is that you are doing in each framework.

As for horse training, I generally follow John Lyons and Alexandra Kurland (http://www.theclickercenter.com). Both are very gentle methods; most of Alex's stuff is based in John's work so it helps to have an understanding of the Lyons philosophy to get the full benefit of Alex. I find this to be most helpful while training driving horses, as John's work is strongly based on communication through the reins and doesn't rely on a lot of leg and weight cues. He is the only one out there that is truly "different" IMO. The rest of them are all flavors or shades of the same.

The only good thing I can say about Parelli is he is a marketing genius, because he can get people to buy anything he puts his name on and worship him like some horse God. Wish I had one tenth of his marketing savvy. His training ability though? Overstated, overrated, and overpriced!

No kidding, huh?

The only good thing I can say about Parelli is he is a marketing genius, because he can get people to buy anything he puts his name on and worship him like some horse God. Wish I had one tenth of his marketing savvy. His training ability though? Overstated, overrated, and overpriced!

You do not want me to get started on Parelli. Please don't because then I can't stop myself. Any of us "oldies" or seasoned horsemen I should say can see right through this. He preys on the newbies and somehow convinces them he is some kind of genius. I swear they do follow him like he is a God of some sort running a cult. He is laughing all the way to the bank on abused horses and the very naieve newbies and that makes me crazy. He's a moron, but a darn rich one. Who really needs their horse to sit their butt down on a stupid ball anyhow?

I watch many different trainers and take away only what I like. Some I like more than others.The thing that bothers me most about any of them is they can show you all the things to do and break it down in laymens terms but they cant teach someone timing. Without the ability of correct timing no video, book etc. is going to help and in some of the cases I have seen has done the opposite of what was intended. Made the horse worse. I'm mainly referring to someone who has never owned a horse and now thinks they are a trainer because they got a video. Oh and the overpriced product they pimp to the masses. That drives me crazy too. JMHO

I take a bit from different trainers and take most from seasoned experienced people I know more closely. People with excellent common sense and they are focused on the animal, not making a buck or selling a trick. I have friends I admire their techniques and their horses and manners and training. Give me an excellent breeder friend to talk to , or a forum member with years of experience over the TV personalities that are trying to make training the same from animal to animal and owner to owner.

On dogs... Cesar Milan (dog whisperer guy) makes me cringe like Parelli does for some of you. He sets dog obedience back on its heels 40 years. He is a nut case and the scary thing is that people watch his show and think they are learning something. ugh.
default_smileypuke.gif
Seasoned dog trainers just shake their heads and just change the channel at his techniques.

Victoria Stillwell (its me or the dog lady) is the TV trainer you should be watching and her methods are very kind.

I used to watch Pat Parelli, one show still sticks to my mind. He had a disabled young girl and a teenaged standardbred. I love standardbreds so was very interested, at one point he had the girl shooing the horse away from her with her arms wide, kept telling her to do it. Didn't see much point except to comfuse the horse. The poor boy didn't know what he had done wrong. His lower lip kept flopping up and down with confusion. I did get discouraged with trying to get Seven to lunge so made a "carrot" stick, put a carrot on the end of a lunge whip and he followed it at a walk in a circle until it fell off, he ate it and wouldn't move again. I have also concidered clicker training. Any thoughts on this method? CA horses look happier, PP spends too much time selling his products.

Cannot stand PP. When he first appeared on rfdtv, I watched his shows. He put me completely off one day. Not for his training methods, which were questionable, but because he was down right rude to his wife on the show. I was shocked they even left it in. Seems as though nothing bothers them. Either of them! Some Youtube movies will tell the tale. They'd be laughable, if they were not so sad.

I like Clinton Anderson's methods. I've been to his clinics some time ago. Also John Lyons' methods. My daughter has her horses (big and small) trained mostly by the JL methods. Her Gypsy Horse mare was the youngest horse ever, to be ridden in The Rose Parade.

Lizzie

Thanks Lizzie, I used to collect JL magazines, kept them for references for many years when I had a riding horse. I will look into his methods again. Just looking for some fun stuff to keep my boy interested.

JMS Miniatures said:
1319050661[/url]' post='1419397']What rabbitsfizz says is true on Parelli and go and search for videos on youtube.
What are the titles on videos? Did search but am getting alot of hits. ??

Oh my gosh Marty! You crack me up! You are 100% right! Any real horse person that has real horse knowledge laughs at PP. His followers are newbies as you said and the backyard "my horse is human" owner. PP spends more time on the ground then he does in the saddle and his followers are stuck forever having their horse chase them and "play" with them, they hardly ever step in to the saddle and most of his theories do not make sense. At least the horse owner seems to get a lot of exercise under PP guidance.

You do not want me to get started on Parelli. Please don't because then I can't stop myself. Any of us "oldies" or seasoned horsemen I should say can see right through this. He preys on the newbies and somehow convinces them he is some kind of genius. I swear they do follow him like he is a God of some sort running a cult. He is laughing all the way to the bank on abused horses and the very naieve newbies and that makes me crazy. He's a moron, but a darn rich one. Who really needs their horse to sit their butt down on a stupid ball anyhow?

For those of you that are knocking the Parelli program how many of you have actually tried it? I too use to be against the program, mainly because I couldn't stand Pat's arrogant personality. I have owned horses for 31 years. Before the Parelli program I considered myself a fairly knowledgeable horseman. I have gotten so much out of the program and my Paso Fino is a much happier horse. My miniature mare has come a long way with the program. I have also tried Clinton Anderson program, very similar but I feel he takes a more aggressive approach. I agree that Pat Parelli is a marketing genius, I do feel that some of his products are over priced. Before training my miniature to harness I bought a well known miniature horse trainer's dvd, I used most of what I learned from Parelli and very little of the miniature horse trainer's method. This is Miss Gracie's 3rd year in harness and she is doing wonderful. I would recommend starting with the The Seven Games, it's part of the Success Series. Products can usually be bought cheaper on eBay.

Latest posts

Back