And the results are in.........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
It's official, I have breast cancer. Dang it all. And, of course, once I spoke with the radiologist, I wanted to speak to my surgeon or to my OB/GYN but both of their offices are closed on Fridays. WHAT?? So I have a call in to both of them and I suspect on Monday I'll speak to one or both of them and find out where I go from here. I'm going to need a lumpectomy, that much is certain. And living here in rural Kentucky, I think hubby and I have decided that we want to go to Tennessee and have any procedures done at Vanderbilt's breast cancer center. I might as well have anything I need done by the experts in this and it's only like an hour and a half away.

I really cried yesterday when I was talking to the radiologist (even though I promised myself I wouldn't). I mean it's not like I've grown accustomed to my boob...oh wait....I have. Nevermind. LOL

But he did assure me that this wasn't the "bad" kind of cancer and that the survivability rate is quite high. (Which oddly enough wasn't overly reassuring, you know discussing the likelihood of me surviving and all that).

So now we wait, again, to see where we go from here. Don't know if I need a surgeon, an oncologist or a surgical oncologist. I figure that is where my OB/GYN comes in, to guide me down the golden path.

And don't you know that I have a dental appointment on Monday morning at 10:00 an hour away from here. I figure everyone will call while I'm in the chair when the dentist has both hands, up to his elbows, in my mouth. That would just be my luck.

I'm pretty blue and am having a little trouble controlling my emotions but I guess that's just because I don't know what is going to happen and I'm anxious. Hubby says he'll love me anyway, even if I only have one boob. Heck, they are small enough normally to be almost non-existent. Not like it's going to be a great loss. LOL At least I can joke about it.

So everyone just keep me in your prayers. I figure if I have enough people rooting for me, the outcome has got to be good.

Shelley, prayers sent for you for a speedy treatment and complete healing. Many {{{hugs}}}

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, I am soooo very sorry. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. This must be so difficult for you...it's OK to be scared, it's OK to cry. (((HUGS)))

Praying for you........hope that you can get some answers, guidance and advice on Monday, hang in there!!!!

I've been sending prayers & hoping, waiting for your results. I'm so sorry about the cancer
default_sad.png

I'll be sending more prayers to you. I wish I were close enough to hold you in a big hug and let you cry on my shoulder.

{{{{hugs}}}}

(({{{{Shelley}}}})) healing prayers for a complete recovery. I'm so sorry you got this diagnosis on a Friday.

Special.jpg

Dixie_Belle,

Being anxious is normal. When I was diagnosed, the first thing my doctor told me, "It isn't a death sentence" They have come a long way over the years. Check with your doctor about options. At first, I was told I needed a lumpectomy, with followup chemo or radiation. I said I really didn't want to have to go through chemo or radiation. Was then told if I had a mastectomy they would be able to get it all and not need chemo or radiation. After much thought and discussion with my husband, I chose the mastectomy. I was on medication for five years after and have been cancer free since Oct 2002. I wear a prosthetic and nobody knows unless I tell them which one I had done. Since then I have met several people that are breast cancer survivors. You would be surprised how many of us there are out there. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear! hang in there girl! My oldest daughter has just celebrated her first year being cancer free! You can get through this! Sending you love and prayers, and strength. This is a battle that you will win!

I had all three (surgeon, oncologist and medical oncologist). Take all the support you can. I had the lumpectomy and radiation, as I figured we'll go the minimal route first. So far, so good, I'm two years cancer free!

Will be keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. ((((HUGS))))

Tomorrow at 1:30 I go back to see the surgeon who recommended the biopsy. We'll see what treatment he says. And, of course, the tooth that the dog hit like 6 months ago is still hurting like the very dickens. Went to the endodontist this morning and I'll have to have another root canal on that tooth. Nevermind that it already has a root canal and a crown. Sigh. I have so many doctor/dentist appointments scheduled that I had to buy a calendar to keep in my purse so I wouldn't schedule two things on the same day. (I'd use my smart phone for that, but I don't have one...ahem...I don't want a phone that is smarter than I am) So now I just have to get thru until tomorrow afternoon. Thursday I go to the regular dentist for my 6 month check up. If she finds something wrong I'll go nuts. Wait a minute, I'm already there. Nevermind.

I am sending you prayers and praying, if it is at all possible in this confusion and chaos, that a certain amount of reassurance is gained by your appt tomorrow. Hang in there, I am sure, beyond your forum family, you are important to many family and friends, do what you need to do to get onto the road to recovery, friends and family will be there.

I'm sending you prayers!! I've been down this road here in rural KY (Owensboro) too. It *is* survivable -- even if you get one of the "worse" types.

I'm glad to see you're going to Vandy. They have a pretty good program there. Before you make a definitive decision about your treatment, I'd advise getting at least one second opinion. I highly recommend MD Anderson in Houston TX as one of your opinions because they are in the forefront of breast cancer research. My daughter & I are 4-year survivors since my diagnosis when I was 20 weeks pregnant with her. It's been a long row to hoe, but I firmly believe that had I not sought MD Anderson, either my daughter or I wouldn't be here. Even if you have a "simple" kind of breast cancer, getting other opinions never hurts!

God bless! I sent you a PM before I read this thread. However, still feel free to PM me if you wish.

Back