Amy's sick, vet just left for vacation.... need imput

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've actually never had our dogs get diarrhea, except for one dog we had 15 years ago! It's amazing. However, any time my parents' dogs get it (fairly rarely) the vet has them feed what we are now feeding -- 3 parts rice to one part lean meet. It helps bind apparently. We have been feeding that to our dogs for dinner for a month or so but because we're so upset about all we've been reading about canned dog food, not to help w/ diarrhea.

Also, I didn't reall all the way through, but I'm thinking that if your vet goes on vacation and doesn't have someone to cover the patients of his practice, then you will want to know of a back up for next time.

Marty,

My friends lab (until she was bout 2) used to eat EVERYTHING. Metal was her fave......she ended up having 2 surgeries, once was to remove a key chain with 8 keys on it........Belle also ate her wedding and engagement rings ( she was pregnant at the time, and took them off at night and put them on the bedstand). She found them missing, got her x-rayed and ta-da......they were there. She had to "go fishing" every time Belle pooped, until she found them. Took about 3 days, I think. I know this is not helping, but mabe you could duct tape her mouth??? LOL, KIDDING!
default_wacko.png
:

Alicia

lol you have one of those!!! We have one too, except we usually come home to vomit all over the house, this dog eats everything! hes had 3 surgeries so far to take various items out of him. (thank gosh I work at the pet clinic!)

as for canned food, I would not feed it, it generally is too rich, contains alot of moisture and is only going to make the problem worse.(unless its a gastro diet such as id or gastro) rice and chicken works wonderfully, Tylan powder is also handy if you have some of that. you could also try a table spoon of pepto. If you have been fasting her, start her up on food SLOWLY, a couple tablespoons 4 times a day to start with. It will just ease her gut back into working again. If it doesnt clear up this time I would take her Back into the vet. I wouldnt be worried so much about an obstruction as she is still energetic, interested in eating (even though you are fasting her), and is having diarrhea. So everything is going through her! If anything she probably ate something and it gave her a nice colitis! If she stops being interested in food, becomes lethargic and starts vommiting. then take her for the x ray.

Cheers

Masako

Well no more runny poop in 2 days now thank goodness for that. You really wouldn't believe so much could come out of one puppy I swear it was that bad but so far so good.

I started her this morning on a small serving of boiled chicken breast and rice. I made enough for an army. Dan comes in the kitchen and dips his hands in it and I smack his fingers and tell him that's dog food....he's like OMG.......
default_wacko.png
: He's just as bad as the dog eating everything in sight.
default_yes.gif
:

We'll be working outside all day in the barnyard so I can watch her when she goes and look at it.
default_wacko.png
:

We are going to the vet anyhow tomorrow to the emergency clinic just in case for a check up in Chattanooga. I called them and they said I could bring her in anytime. That is who my vet refers his clients to when he goes on vacation; he left the number on his answering machine......he does take lots of vacations but this time is to avoid the Worlds Longest Yard Sale. He hides from it every year. :lol: But I'm not waiting a week and a half for him to see her.

It can't hurt for her to get checked out and I really don't want to fool around with this just in case it's a bug she picked up or is harboring some kind of infection. It's probably nothing other than eating junk but I have to go there anyhow to pick up some dog food at Petco where the Pets go and some other things for work. She'll have a nice ride anyhow. Hope the storms quit though. Do not like to drive in big storms!

I just heard Petco has their newest line of doggy tee shirts out
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
: Sounds like a must have to me.
default_yes.gif
:

Marty,

Sorry i wasn't on and i was worried about your Amy when I read your post. I am so greatful your sweetie is getting better. Give her a hug for me!!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: I pray that her sick episode is over for you!!!

Latest posts

Back