@$#@#% AMHR!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...I wonder if chestnut pinto would have worked?
default_laugh.png

Before I got into minis, I was involved with AQHA. Let me tell you, if you try to register a foal as a color that it couldn't genetically be, they get in contact with you and you have to DNA/PQ the involved horses.

I really do hope you fight this. Show them, highlight that they have listed down white as an acceptable color choice. The funny part is they don't even list perlino. My friend had got herself a solid white filly, no color on her at all, but I can't remember what they listed her as.

Problem is AMHR is not taking the colors very seriously, this needs to stop.

Funny, I have a light palomino mare that they registered as "white" and she's got more of a golden tint to her than your girl!

Funny, I have a light palomino mare that they registered as "white" and she's got more of a golden tint to her than your girl!
Wow this whole mess just doesn't seem right. Man I really wish I knew what this one filly my friend had what color she was listed on her papers. I know her reg. name if someone wants to look it up in the stud book.

Hopefully someone can remember to bring this up at Convention. I'll try to remeber.

I think the AMHR does a great job.. Your pic could of been a little dark when you sent it in to the home office. This has happen to us no big deal. we put on our
default_pantiesbig.gif
and get the problem fix.

Yes I can understand you are upset about the problem. I would not
default_new_argue.gif
about it I would just fix the problem and move on..

My main issue is that I put down white, and I was told they go by what the horse looks like. Does she not look white to anyone else? Also, that I was told white isn't a color choice, when the registration application lists it. I did call AMHR and tried to work this out over the phone, but with her insisting that white isn't an option, and that my choices were palomino or perlino, and that since her eyes are blue, that makes her a perlino, what am I supposed to do?
I would ask to speak to the boss/supervisor and make it plain that if that didn't work that I would be contacting directors.

Colors DO matter. It is not something that should be shrugged off as unimportant.
default_xreiter.gif
Just saying, "Oh well, it's not really important" shows a lack of seriousness in a breeding program. Color is not the MOST important thing, but it IS important.

Last year I bought a 3 yr old zebra dun mare who was registered as buckskin. I had her color tested to show she does not carry the cream or silver gene. Paid for the color change with the transfer and sent lots of pics showing her markings on her legs. And I sent in a copy of the color test. They called me to ask about the change and wanted to know why I said zebra dun instead of buckskin. Well, no cream gene for one and she is homozygous for black! Said there was no way she can be buckskin and no bay has looked that light and had all the primitive markings, mane frosting, etc. So they said they'd talk it over with their director and I got the papers back with her changed to zebra dun.
default_smile.png

Marsha

I think the AMHR does a great job.. Your pic could of been a little dark when you sent it in to the home office. This has happen to us no big deal. we put on our
default_pantiesbig.gif
and get the problem fix.

Yes I can understand you are upset about the problem. I would not
default_new_argue.gif
about it I would just fix the problem and move on..
I tried to get the problem fixed, but was told that white is NOT an accepted option, and since she was white with pink skin and blue eyes she is a perlino and that was it. She was unwilling to change it. I am trying another way by contacting directors. As far as a dark picture, they know she is white, so it must not be too dark, right??? And if the pictures were dark and that disagreed with what I put down, they could have contacted me. When AMHA has a problem, they contact people, but AMHR just seems to decide on their own what to do. Hopefully I'll hear back from a director soon.

Had I been able to get the problem resolved, you would never have read about it on the Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would simply call and ask to speak to Zona. White is a color option with ASPC/AMHR. We have a Shetland stallion that is maximum expression sabino with blue eyes. (For reference his picture is below.) His color and markings on his registration papers are:

Color: White

Mane and Tail: White

Other Markings: Blue eyes and Four white legs

In the office's defense, they probably do get a lot of applications where the perlino horses are listed as white.

I know how you feel though. I had to fight a color change made by them once with genetic testing, and while it was frustraing it all worked out.

DSC_0232_reeditedagain.JPG

I just spoke to AMHR again, and she said to send the papers to Zona and she will make a decision when she comes back. At least I'm making progress now!
default_aktion033.gif

Gorgeous stallion, Lisa!

Ditto on the stallion .... I was thinking the same thing when I saw his pic!
default_wub.png

ThreeC ... the color change sounds promising and better that it be done now than later! Color is not the most important thing, I agree, but in this case it is important because one of the reasons that filly is going to be moving south is because of her (DNA) color and future breeding.
default_wink.png

Perlino or red based maximum expression sabino are going to give me two totally different results with my guy in the color department!

Hi ,

I see you have already heard from Tracy..
default_biggrin.png
I spoke with Zona this AM about your Letter. The office is only human and sometimes they do make mistakes , but we are more than willing to listen and try and fix them when they do .
default_wink.png
default_wink.png
Glad it worked out for you

The bottom line here is......Our office personel need to be instructed to accept the color which the owner sends in as correct unless there is a glaring error in which case the office personel should call or email questioning that color listing before issuing any papers. (contact office manager and directors to request this change in procedure)

The owner who is looking at the horse and often the parents also is much more likely to be able to judge the color than is a person a thousand miles away looking at a picture when that picture's processing can have great effect on the appearance of the color.

Granted, there will always be those who are not skilled at determining color of their horses but those people can include a note to let the office decide color since the form doesn't have a place to check for the office to designate color.

Charlotte

p.s.

Lisa, Gorgeous stallion!

K Sera, Congratualtions on your new filly! Have you seen her in person? She's even more beautiful than her pictures!

I've been told the office personnel do not have the authority to change the color over what the owner sends in. I'd talk to a director.
Despite "not having the authority" they sure as heck do it. Sent in pictures of my BAY pinto colt....you could easily see that his muzzle was BROWN, and that his flanks were definitely brown. His papers came back as a BLACK pinto. No way, no how is he a black pinto! Oh well........

I agree, allowing them to get away with it only means they do not have to learn. Your registration papers are a legal document. If you lied about the parents of your foal they would come down on you like a ton of bricks, yet they expect you to lie about the horses colour?

Lying on a legal document when you know that you are lying is fraud, so, are they asking you to perjure yourself and commit fraud?

It actually is that serious. Supposing along the line someone who is a legal expert buys this horse and says "but it is not brown/pink/green with blue spots" and follows the trail back to the original registerer...who innocently says that they had the horse tested and knew that it was magenta with blue stripes, but did not bother to get it changed. Fraud has been committed on a legal document.

Simple as that.

So, are the two societies that present themselves as premier in the world actually asking (demanding) that their members commit fraud?????

Well I can agree we have all had our problems with both registries.

Even though mine is not a color problem, I did have AMHR mess up one of my last papers I sent in to be transferred.

Though it is not a real big deal, they changed it with out asking.

I co-own a stallion with a friend. I sent the papers in and the horse resides at my house. I filled out the transfer with my name and address and put or (friends name)on owners line..

When I got the papers back my friend's name was first and even with her address which was not included on the transfer. But the papers where still sent back to me. I had sent in a couple more transfers so that might be why they sent them back to me.

I feel they shouldn't of changed any of this with out asking.

Latest posts

Back