AMHR Prefix

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a prefix or suffix

• Total voters
I picked my farm name ( Silver Maple Miniatures) in 2004 without ever looking into it to see if others had that name.

I was new and didnt know any better. BUT have been lucky I THINK to be the only mini horse farm with this name.

I have however seen other mini farms with similar names and other farms with the same name but not that worried about it. My foals have my farm name on it with their sires name in thiers so I know my horses.

Other then that, I wont pay to have it. sorry. Of the sounds of it from all of you, its a waste of $$$ anyway....

I personally feel that $200 is unreasonable period, especially in this economy! The only reason we haven't reserved ours yet is due to price. It is not pocket change. $100 would be ok, $200 is better spent somewhere else (like hay!).

I personally feel that $200 is unreasonable period, especially in this economy! The only reason we haven't reserved ours yet is due to price. It is not pocket change. $100 would be ok, $200 is better spent somewhere else (like hay!).

I couldn't agree with you more!!! It is exorbitant! I could only afford to register one prefix and since I show and advertise in AMHA I chose that one to reserve my prefix with but I would love to start showing AMHR too. In light of today's economy, I think they should readjust some of their pricing............that's what our businesses had to do.
default_wink.png

Actually there is a very good reason why the prefix registration price was raised to $200...I think maybe some here have forgotten this?

It wasn't all that long ago that prefixes (and suffixes) cost only $20 to register (which is when I bought mine--I didn't see any need to have more than one prefix so bought only the one). But--people (people on this forum in fact) were

ABUSING the system by registering common words they wanted to use in a horses name as a prefix or suffix. For a brief time the fee went up to $50, but that didn't help. I think it got worse--remember the posts on this forum about how certain words couldn't be used in a name, so people here (yes, they posted about doing it) went and registered several words each so they could be guaranteed use of those words at the beginning or end of a horse's name. They are the reason the fee was hiked up to $200. They are also the reason AMHR no longer registers suffixes! A few spoiled it for everyone. I know people who sat in on the board meeting in Reno when the decision was made and that was the reason. Apparently there has been talk about raising it it even higher--a lot higher I am told!--just to keep some from reserving everything under the sun as well. Even at $200 there are likely some that can afford to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh yes, I understand that Minimor, but wouldn't it be better to just put a cap on the number of prefixes/suffixes one can reserve? The way they have it now, there are a large amount of farms that can not even afford to reserve ONE prefix/suffix.

I believe my black leopard colt is registered under two different names in AMHA and AMHR because someone reserved the suffix 'Fantasy' in AMHA. So he is O Henrys Secret Fantasy in AMHR and O Henrys Fantasy Secret in AMHA. Wasn't happy about that one.

Just to clarify, is my prefix, Star Ridge Acres, that I paid $200 to reserve, still limited to my use only, or is that reservation now void? I can understand that link off the site being temporarily down, but that is vastly different from disregarding the agreement I made with AMHR when I signed that paper and they cashed my check.

Remember that businesses and organizations can't adjust to the economy, just because many of us are struggling. You don't go and buy tires and ask for a discount because the economy is bad. Groceries cost the same, etc etc. I am unemployed due to the cruddy economy and would love it if Verizon would defer my cell payment and if Wells Fargo would defer my car payment... that just isn't practical. Sucks for me, that's just the way it is.

$200 is barely enough to get a full page advertisement in a magazine, ONCE. $200 reserves your prefix for a lifetime. I think it's more than reasonable. I think it's ridiculous to have to pay it twice, or renew it, that is a different issue.

The bad economy is effecting all of us yes, but AMHR isn't dodging it either.

Thanks Minimor for explaining that. I was unaware and now I can see why they have upped the fees. In light of this thread, I think I shall name any future foals just like I named my Quarters and the heck with worrying about a prefix. For example, instead of Samples Significance it can be I'm Significant.........In the end, I don't think it really matters.
default_wacko.png

I checked out the ASPC/AMHR site and I found a prefix & suffix report and guess what, i'm not on it!! I saved it for me before it went up to $200.00, I guess i'll have to look into my paperwork, I have saved everything from AMHR thank goodness.

We reserved our prefix in both AMHA and AMHR in Oct 2003, both show up on the online reports so I am good to go with mine. We did them when they were still cheap. The only issue I have is AMHA does tell who holds the prefix or suffix but AMHR only states that its reserved. It doesn't tell who has it reserved.

I noticed at AMHR Nationals that there where a few minis that had the same prefix/suffix spelt the same way as I do on their minis. When I went to the AMHR website to see what prefixs/suffixs that have been reserved that are like my farm name, I found out that mine wasn't reserved. I called the office and spoke to settle this and was told the same thing, that they didn't have record of the name ever being reserved. Now, our name wasn't reserved 20 years ago, it was reserved 10 years ago and they still don't have record of it. I sent in 2 checks to reserve both the prefix & suffix. A family member also sent in 2 checks to reserve two different spellings of our prefix/suffix & none of these checks are on file. If you think your hot about a $50 dollar check not being recorded for a prefix, how hot do you think we are about 4 checks not being recorded?

If you know the year of the check your bank and who it was for, they keeps copies of all them ?, have to give approximate date and year and might be able to find them for yous that cannot find paper work.. Just a suggestion.

Good Luck
default_no.gif

l just read this and went and looked and found my 2 prefix and 1 suffix listed now...a while back l went in and looked and l wasn't on there so l presume they are updating as it all looks fairly new from the last time l checked and couldn't find myself and l like this way of finding names a lot better..l would have been livid if l had to pay again and l was a tad worried not being listed at first
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Mine just showed up again! WHEW!
default_smile.png

Thanks for checking again for me Diane!
default_wub.png

I see the webpage has been being updated just since this thread has been started. The other day when I checked, my prefix was not listed. Now, it shows "Songcatchers" registered 9/17/2004. My suffix, "SR" was registered on 9/14/2006. Now I just wish that they told who the prefixes and suffixes belonged to.
default_rolleyes.gif

I'm sure I paid $20 each for these back then.

Back