AMHR Prefix

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a prefix or suffix

• Total voters

ruffian

Reaction score
I just contacted AMHR because there were a couple of Prefixes I heard at Nationals that were very similar to my LDS. I've had mine for over 20 years, back when they were jsut $50. I was told that I had NEVER reserved it as far as they could tell and they generously provided a form for me to pay $200 (TWO HUNDREND BUCKS) to reserve it as they no longer "protected" prefixes. I was a little hot. I remember very clearly reserving "LDS" in AMHA AND AMHR. AMHA had no problem finding it, but AMHR 20 years later can't find theirs and expect me to pay again. They said that if I could find my check from 1993 (???) they would accept that. Geez I'm sorry, I don't keep any records past 3 years as per the IRS guidelines. They also said that unless it was "EXACTLY" the same they would not prevent anyone from reserving something similar.

I wonder how many others wouldn't be able to find a check from 1993 or if AMHR can find their paperwork from that long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so unfair
default_no.gif

now I need to call them this week to check on ours although it was only maybe 5-6 years ago. It seems no one can locate the list on line either anymore

I paid $50 to AMHa and AMHR for my prefix many years ago. once, while going through the stud book on line with AMHA I found three horses with my prefix that were not mine. Plus they were registered a few years after I bought my prefix. I called AMHA and they corrected it right away so that no one could use my prefix Riverdance or Riverdances. The three that were already registered with my prefix stayed that way, (which I was not happy about). Now there is a farm in Australia who has been using the same prefix.(they did not have AMHA horse to recently) I noticed lately that they changed it ti Riverdances Stud Farm. I sure hope that AMHA will not accept that as people will automatically think it is mine.

AS for AMHR, I can not get onto their stud book, so I do not know if there are registrations with my prefix.

I feel that neither AMHA or AMHR should allow anyone to have a prefix that is close to another. Can you imagine if someone bought a prefix that said Little Kings Stud Farm. I do not think that would go over well....

This is not nice to hear at all. I reserved the prefix "OTM" in both AMHA and AMHR and figured I was all set... Guess I had better do some checking. I admit I would be MORE upset if I tried to use the prefix and they told me I couldn't because someone else had it, but gee, why did I spend all that money to reserve it if they just let anyone use it????

ETA: I just checked AMHA and there ARE other minis with OTM as a prefix, but those are all from before we reserved the prefix.

I reserved Samples with AMHA and later noticed there were horses with registered names very close to Sample so I called AMHA and they said that they had no control and if someone wanted to reserve the name Little Samples or My Samples that would be fine as long as it's not the exact same name. After, that phone conversation I felt let down and like I wasted $200.00

My grandparents have not reserved their prefix YET, but I am working on it! I heard a Henry's prefix at a show this summer-MUCH too close to our O Henry's!

On another note, my great grandmother had Mars as her prefix since about 1990 and then Mars Montrose came along and reserved their prefix and she was no longer able to use hers because AMHR said it was too close. She had to change her to C Mars which she was not happy about (she did not know you could reserve your prefix at the time). I would think that if AMHR thinks Mars and Mars Montrose are too similar, they would put their foot down on a lot of others too.

We've had Field of Dreams for about ten years now. There is a Field of Mini Dreams out there, which came AFTER us and I felt cheated. Plus, AMHA wouldn't let us use Field of Dreams when we applied, said it was too close to someone else's... then promptly gave it to SOMEONE else a year later!
default_1857272.gif
:arg! so our horses are PA Field of Dreams in AMHA.
default_thumbdown.gif

Mine, that I PAID for is gone too.

Seems that they dumped them all in order to force people to pay another $200 to get them back. But what's to say they won't dump them again in a few years?

I'm angry right now. I'm tired of being done unto.

$200 doesn't sound unreasonable to me for this sort of thing but... there really should be a more "permanent" way of doing this OR a way of letting you know that it "expires" in a set amount of time and you have the option to renew first.

Andrea

Looks like mine is gone too! Glad I saw this because I never would have known that it wasn't there. It used to be listed on their old website. I paid $200.00 for it about 2 1/2 years ago!!!
sad.gif
Found my receipt and I'll be on the phone with them in the morning!

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

Before everyone starts getting concerned about this, I just got an e-mail from Laurie Villalpando, ASPC/AMHR Tech Person:

"All of the prefixes and suffixes that have been registered to members since the ASPC/AMHR

began - are there - you just cant see them yet

as we are trying to making them more user friendly - :) for people to see

what is there right now is just the suffixes (those reserved for behind the horses name)

hoping in the next few days the entire 93 pages of prefixes (those in the front of the horses name)

will be up on the web site..........

If you have any other questions - please dont hesitate to ask!"

Eagles Ring Farm... please see my post above... the website is simply being updated... they are NOT gone.

Andrea

Eagles Ring Farm... please see my post above... the website is simply being updated... they are NOT gone.

Andrea
Lol wish I would of read further down. Nope had to go to the website search search, but came to the conclusion it wasn't all up yet as I could only get to the suffix. But thanks for posting!!!

When you use just three letters as a prefix, how could you reasonably expect that a registry prevent someone from reserving something similar. There are only 26 letters and there are hundreds of farms.... LDS... Are you thinking that no one else should be able to use an L? Or just that it shouldn't rhime... LPS? LCS? I mean come on........ As far as no one else using LDS, which is exactly what you paid for and reserved, I am fully on your side that you should not have to pay again an that no one should be able to use the exact same prefix. But with only 26 letters and many many farms using 3 letters as a prefix, it's ridiculous to think that none others should sound like yours....

Now, when you are using full words and/or phrases, yes, I agree that they should be preventing anyone from using something similar. However I might have a different idea of what similar is.

What I think is similar would be something like....

Greystone and Grey Stone or

Little Americas and Little America

Salty Creek and Salt Creek

If we get too ridiculous, there already wouldn't be any prefixes left, because something is bound to be "similar" to something else already out there......

$200 doesn't sound unreasonable to me for this sort of thing but... there really should be a more "permanent" way of doing this OR a way of letting you know that it "expires" in a set amount of time and you have the option to renew first.

Andrea
$200 is extremely unreasonable for anyone who has already paid to reserve a prefix. Hopefully all the prefixes are still there when the list goes back up, but it sounds like a few here (ruffian for one) have actually called the office & were told that their prefixes are not registered to them. There is something wrong with that!

I don't recall AMHR having any rule that states a prefix must be renewed after so many years, & I don't think there's any rule about a prefix expiring if it's not used, or not used for a certain number of years? In Morgans a prefix that was registered & never used would expire after so many years, but I believe that was if the prefix was never used at all, not if it were simply unused for several years after having foals registered under that prefix.

In any case--I do have my prefix registered with ASPC/AMHR and I sure hope it doesn't disappear from the list at any time. I don't suppose I'd have my cheque any more, but the invoice for that prefix registration is surely in my files somewhere. I'd just prefer it if I don't have to go looking for it! I think I registered it when the fee was only $20--I think I got it in just prior to the fee increase to $50 & was sure glad I had it in before the fee went to $200. Just because I paid only $20 for it, I don't think it would be justified if I had to pay $200 to reregister it now--not when I registered it less than 10 years ago & have been using it.

Latest posts

Back