AMHR Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadow

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know the dates of this year's Nationals? AMHR does not have it posted yet on their web site. I need to put in for my vacation early so I can be assured of the time off. Also, what is the facility the Nationals are held in. Does anyone have a favorite hotel/motel they like?

Can you tell this is my first year showing the "R" circuit?

I would appreciate any information you can give. Oh, does anyone have last year's class list that they can email me?

Thanks,

Val

Meadowbrook Miniatures

They are held at Expo Square, in Tulsa OK. Address is 4145 E 21st St, Tulsa OK 74114

There is one hotel on the grounds, The Inn at Expo Square. They are a little pricier than others off grounds, but it's nice to be right there.

Sorry - can't help with dates. You could probably call AMHR and ask them.

Last year's dates Sept 9 thru 19. The show is nearlly always around that same time frame. This year there is talk of extending the show by 1 day as some of those classes run really late into the night. I remember in 2008 I won my championship driving at 3 a.m. with all of 5 people in the stands. The first couple of days are usually youth classes.

Last years Nationals was from Sept 10-19th so I would imagine that this years will be Sept 9-18th but when I was talking to Lenard Davenport just as we were leaving last year he said he was hoping to add one more day to the show and if he was able to do that then the show would have one extra day but whether it will be at the beginning for the youth or at the end for the Open classes is to be seen.

Expo center is a wonderful facility. All the barns have showers, lots of people stay in their stalls at Nationals, lots of nice motels close to the fairgrounds, great restaurants, and there is a very nice RV park on the grounds. You will need some sort of transportation like golf cart, bike, scooter etc if you stay at the RV park as it is about 2 blocks from the arena. Golf cars are available for rent on the grounds.

The RV park used to take just a 1 night deposit for your stay but that changed last year and you have to pay for your entire stay with your reservation application so be sure of your stay and for how long as refunds are hard to get refunded. You can alway extend you stay once you get there--that is what I did last year--original reservation was for only 4 days and then when I got there I extended it for the balance of the show.

If this is your first Nationals be sure and bring a change of shoes if you plan to do lots of walking--helps with sore/tired feet. Also be sure and bring a jacket as the arena is A/C and for the spectators it gets cold sitting in the stands. Come prepared for any type of weather--some nationals it has rained for days on end (all the barns are connected) and we needed tarps to protect the end stalls from getting wet. Sometimes it is hot and you will need fans for you and the horse and last year the weather was great. Never did use the A/C in the RV as I just opened the windows and had a nice breeze.

The fairgrounds are still being upgraded and the barns are being equipped with roll up doors on all sides. I know that barn B (Oklahoma Ford Dealers Barn) was done last year. I'm usually down in the Barn C (Explorer Barn) which is close to the arena and if you have a handicap plackard that is the barn they try to put you in if you include a copy of your plackard in your show entries.

Come prepared to see great horses from all the country, talk to some of the top trainers in the business, and visit with some of the top farms in the country. Bring lots of spending money as there are lots of vendors who will be glad to help you spend it.

If you are looking for horses to add to your herd this is also the place to look as there are wonderful horses for sale as well--I know I came home with 2 last year--one was being delivered and the other one I bought straight out of the ring as he won his Res National Champion Weanlinging Over class.

You can go to http://www.exposquare.com to get a lot more information on the Tulsa Fairgrounds.

Hope to see you there. You will have a wonderful time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nationals is awesome!!! We have gone the last two years and loved it. I talked to the office a few weeks ago and they said the tentative dates were Sept. 9-19. I assume the tentative part was about adding an additional day.

Last year we got a trailer with living quarters so we stayed in the RV park. It was really nice. They have great showers and a laundry. The first year we stayed in a motel called Guest House International Suites. It was great. If you have several people it's really nice. There were four of us. It had a kitchen, a murphy bed, a sofa bed and a full bathroom downstairs. Then upstairs it had a bedroom and another full bathroom. The 2 bathrooms made a huge difference for all four of us getting ready in the morning.

Hope you enjoy your first Nationals!!!!

Latest posts

Back