AMHR Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the Journal is very frusterating. Another thing to add to my list is where is the AMHR National premium? I emailed AMHR about it and it almost sounded like they forgot about it and will try to put it out the end of this month. One thing I want to say about that is how can AMHR forget about their biggest money maker??? Also yes they are going to loose advertisers to the Journal if this keeps continuing and it started last year.

No one has forgotten about the Nationals, let me assure you of that.... If YOU got the impression that the office forgot about the Nationals your way off the mark.. The show department and Lenard are working on the schedule and even some of the classes were discussed on the conference call while waiting for others to join in. THIS is how unfounded information gets out to the membership with one making a statement such as yours. I mean no disrespect to you but I assure you no one has forgotten about the nationals.. Lea Dill -- part of the committee for Congress and Nationals.

And guys I hate to say it, but there are always late ads going into Amy, many of us, me included, directors, membership, are all guilty of that. Amy has always been wonderful about accommodating stuff. She works hard and puts in lots of hours a week. I don't envy this job to her. I am glad they hired someone to help, I think we will see a big difference in the near future.
Unfortunately, it has gotten to the point where everyone knows that they can submit things late and still get them in. Start publishing it on time and people will start submitting things on time.

This whole situation to me is just sad. Seems like a big witch hunt with a whipping girl at the end of it.

Dear Kay,

Why would you say this is a witch hunt? I do not understand why you feel that Belinda is out of line for her statement, she has given you the summary of the Conference call regarding the Journal and we move forward. Seems you did not like the answer so you attack??

If the WEG agenda was the cause of the Journal being late, what is the excuse for all the other Journals being late? We were told that 55 to 60 hours a week is spent trying to get every Journal issue out on time and it is just not happening.. How many Journals have been on time is the question to ask? Maybe the Journal needs to come into the national office in order to manage it in a more efficient way. The editor could be set up in a quiet office as we have plenty of space in the ASPC/AMHR building plus have available staff. I am sure if needed the editor be able to use additional office staff for proofing, research, etc.

I have asked for a time line of hours per week spent on the Journal, so it can be determined where the time is spent. With this maybe the hours can be evaluated as to what takes up most of time. If time is spent laying out the pages then maybe this can be delegated that to the printing company. Maybe if time is spent researching articles, it can be handed off to someone else to gather the information needed.

To be honest with you, maybe it was appropriate to have the Journal off premises years ago but I truly believe the Journal needs to be brought into the corporate office. It would be more efficiently managed in the office in my opinion with staff not to mention calls from membership, billing, etc.

As far as pulling from the WEG games, I have to express this as I am very upset with the smoke screen that was put out there to the participating members of WEG. Johnny Robb spoke to us about the WEG games on the conference call and you can poll other directors about this, BUT Johnny encouraged us to pull from the WEG games. She in fact said more then twice on the call “SHE DID NOT BLAME US FOR PULLING FROM THE WEG GAMES"! I in fact was all for the WEG games but when Johnny was encouraging us to pull from WEG. I flipped my vote and said to pull. When Johnny sent her email out to the participates of WEG, blaming the board I was very upset and wrote Johnny an email asking her why she encouraged the board to pull from WEG, she has yet to answer me.

I feel in hindsight the process for getting into WEG was a stumble and trip approach, as WE went along with the games and our enrollment in WEG, requirements of WEG were discovered which did cause problems to the process thus we could not use the 5,000. Journals nor could reasonable housing be gotten nor did we know about the liability insurance that was needed along with other concerns. So with that said, our Project Manager failed us, not the board of directors and I for one am very tired as a director of getting BEAT UP over the WEG game. WE as a board had no choice but to pull out of the games as I felt we were not going to be able to meet all the requirements regardless of what some were told. Again, not to mention the encouragement of Johnny not blaming us for pulling out of the WEG games. So folks, there are the real facts on WEG and my opinion on the Journal! So let the stones begin as I have spoke up as a director and given the facts as I know them and my opinion. I am sure there will be a counter attack to my post.

Lea Dill

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my 2 cents!
default_biggrin.png

"April/May is printing in June/July's alloted slot and the next opening will not be for a couple of weeks. Our printing company is great and bends over backwards for us"

And I"ll bet we - the membership - are paying well for it! Third printing for the same magazine. Heck yes as a printer I'd be bending over backwards too, and CHARGING well! They ain't doing it for free!!!

IMO Anybody who advertised in the April/May issue should get a refund - "Time sensitive" or not!!!

At this point, cancel the June/July issue. What's the point?? Put any news into the next issue and get it out on time.

If the December issue is mailed by the 15th of December, WHY would I "expect" it in January - 3 weeks later? The post office on the whole is better than that.

The WEG question should have been settled in March and follow up to ensure that it could happen. If it didn't, print the issue as set and oh well. Why stop the presses to take that stuff out?

DEADLINE - The whole world works on deadlines. Advertisers, news, etc - if it's NOT IN ON TIME, too bad. It's NOT the staff's fault! If you do an ad and want it changed past he deadline, too bad. Get it in the next issue. Don't matter who you are or who you know, if you don't get it in on time, it's YOUR fault!

AMHA vs AMHR - never ending story and has no place in this thread.

This is not the place to bash the editorial staff or the office - we don't have the whole story from everybody, so let them figure it out. Trust me, they KNOW the magazines not out and what the issues are.

nuff said
default_smile.png

Thanks for the info Lea and I do agree it would be much easier to get the info passed back and forth that is needed when everyone is in the same building and no doubt there would be some extra help

I do hope the BOD goes over the "plan" of our promotion manager with a fine tooth comb to find things that will work for our registry and hit our target audience!
default_yes.gif

First, I'd like to thank the directors who put on their "flame-proof" suits and posted information on this forum.

Yes, there are a lot of questions, opinions, and some accurate, and perhaps some inaccurate information being put about. But this is a democracy, so we can voice our opinions openly!

The whole thing is like a row of dominos:

Oh, we got a late ad! ..........down one goes.

Oh, the BOD changed their minds! .........down another one goes, which takes out another row.

Oh, members and advertisers are complaining! ....... we better find someone to blame! Down comes another row of dominos. And on and on, and on.

I think ruffian said it best:

Here's my 2 cents! "April/May is printing in June/July's alloted slot and the next opening will not be for a couple of weeks. Our printing company is great and bends over backwards for us"

And I"ll bet we - the membership - are paying well for it! Third printing for the same magazine. Heck yes as a printer I'd be bending over backwards too, and CHARGING well! They ain't doing it for free!!!

IMO Anybody who advertised in the April/May issue should get a refund - "Time sensitive" or not!!!

At this point, cancel the June/July issue. What's the point?? Put any news into the next issue and get it out on time.

If the December issue is mailed by the 15th of December, WHY would I "expect" it in January - 3 weeks later? The post office on the whole is better than that.

The WEG question should have been settled in March and follow up to ensure that it could happen. If it didn't, print the issue as set and oh well. Why stop the presses to take that stuff out?

DEADLINE - The whole world works on deadlines. Advertisers, news, etc - if it's NOT IN ON TIME, too bad. It's NOT the staff's fault! If you do an ad and want it changed past he deadline, too bad. Get it in the next issue. Don't matter who you are or who you know, if you don't get it in on time, it's YOUR fault!

AMHA vs AMHR - never ending story and has no place in this thread.

This is not the place to bash the editorial staff or the office - we don't have the whole story from everybody, so let them figure it out. Trust me, they KNOW the magazines not out and what the issues are.

nuff said

As stated the Journal is the official newsletter of the ASPC/AMHR. As such certain official information is contained in it which is both time sensitive and pertinent to function and operation of this organization. These items may represent themselves as notices or reminders of events or activities involving changes, notifications and reminders of significant importants outside of promotions and advertising. This type of information takes on a priority which one would assume would supersede any single topic in so far as going to print without absolute conformation. Prioritizing of this information and recognizing that as a newletter and further as a official newsletter priority should always be given to disseminating official information and notices. The concept that a single item was of such importants to this organization ( ie. WEG) as to require that 2 issues of our official newsletter be late and further to attempt to justify that with a timeline reflecting speculation without merit seems to reflect a lack of understanding of just what is important.

During this volleying of to print and not to print several items of importants has fell to the side ie. Candidate for directors and there bios, minutes and changes as adopted in the March BOD meeting, review and input for our election process, reminder and submittal form for rule changes at 2010 convention…this is just to name a few of the items effecting this organization far and above any change involving our participation in a one time event. Outside the micro chasm of these forums exist a portion of the membership who otherwise depend upon the Official Newsletter of this organization as their source of information…regardless of who or where or why this problem exist it must be corrected and corrected now and forever….

The Journal has not received minutes of the March Board meeting nor did it recived a copy of the by law changes that were just voted on for publication prior to the vote. As for the March Board meeting miniutes, the Board just finally received a corrected version to vote on on 6/19/10.

As the election process was just changed on 6/16/10 the arguement about printing the election process in recent issues is invalid. The earliest the new process could be published without creating a publication delay is August/September.

Director bios are printed in the June/July issue. Always have been. Please before jumping to conclusions about what has and has not "fell to the side" do some research! Had you read your February/March Journal you would see on Page 56 a "Reminder to Candidates for National Director" about their bios, how to submit them, necessary resolution for their photos, submission deadline information and WHEN the bios would be published.

For those of you who are not aware my experience in the publishing industry spans 20 years and ranges from pre-press to bindary. I, to the best of my knowledge, am the only director to have visited The Journal office in the last year. The process used for submitting materials to the publisher is state of the art and completely in line with current industry standards. As for having the printer do more of the layout - anyone who has a background in the printing industry will tell you that the proliferation of in house desktop publishing specilists at businesses starting in the late 1980's was in direct response to the excessive cost of these services at publishing houses. Publishing houses have continued to streamline and many have eliminated their design departments entirely or contract out design services to other firms or freelance designers. The vast majority of freelance designers such as myself and Janet Hughes are home based businesses.

Right now the printing industry is hurting. There isn't a printing house out there that is not going to bend over backwards to keep a long term regular account even if that means eating some expenses. Since The Journal office handles all pre-press work we have incurred no added expenses from our printing house due to the delays.

Durn you got to love when directors has the patience to come in here and give us the straight scoop as they see it, as versus all the rhetoric that can go on without direct input.
default_wub.png

Thanks Belinda, Lewella, and Lea, I personally appreciate your candid responses and hope you will continue to give them to us. Even when it is something that we do not want to hear. LOL
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

I, to the best of my knowledge, am the only director to have visited The Journal office in the last year. The process used for submitting materials to the publisher is state of the art and completely in line with current industry standards.
How many Journals have been on time is the question to ask? Maybe the Journal needs to come into the national office in order to manage it in a more efficient way. The editor could be set up in a quiet office as we have plenty of space in the ASPC/AMHR building plus have available staff. I am sure if needed the editor be able to use additional office staff for proofing, research, etc.
Is there a Journal office?

Lewella,

I first want to say glad to know that you have printing background. I to have had a lifetime in the Printing business , As that was my Fathers trade before retiring !! He owned two printing company's one in Dallas ,Tx and one in Fort Worth. He did all of Good Years National Advertising for well over 25 yrs , and when growing up I work many hours in the printing company's !! So there might be more of us that have a back ground in other things beside horses than you know .

And as far as visiting the Journal office ?? I have never been invited to Amy's house , so guess that is why I have not been . We all Know the Journal is done in Amy's home.. So it is not that you could just stop by when in the neighborhood..

So to answer Sunshine Acres question is there a Journal office, NO not a PUBLIC OFFICE THAT ANYONE CAN JUST DROP IN AT ..

Not to argue specifics but I seem to recall a little know resolution regarding the timeframe the minutes would be posted. Further I recall agreement by the BOD at the spring meeting that the elections resolution would be posted in the “next” issue for the membership to review and comment on. The rule change proposals that are due NLT July 1, not withstanding any information to be announced which is otherwise not yet available until published. The specifics of any of these items are not relevant except to the point I was attempting to make which is as the official newsletter of this organization the delaying of printing and distribution of it must take into account the totality of the information it is intended to offer and as such without consideration of the importance and the intent of it as being the official newsletter and for whatever reasons it being several months late is not acceptable under any circumstances.

My point simply being I commend the BOD for acting on this and their efforts to correct a problem. I also commend those directors that have come here to explain to those who frequent these forums at great peril the reasons and efforts to correct this problem. However at the end of the day those members who do not come here and who depend on other sources for their information and understanding of the operation and functioning of this organization are still out in the cold so to speak and that is the bigger picture of any situation such as this. Thus my position that this situation is inexcusable stands.

Not to argue specifics but I seem to recall a little know resolution regarding the timeframe the minutes would be posted. Further I recall agreement by the BOD at the spring meeting that the elections resolution would be posted in the “next” issue for the membership to review and comment on. The rule change proposals that are due NLT July 1, not withstanding any information to be announced which is otherwise not yet available until published. The specifics of any of these items are not relevant except to the point I was attempting to make which is as the official newsletter of this organization the delaying of printing and distribution of it must take into account the totality of the information it is intended to offer and as such without consideration of the importance and the intent of it as being the official newsletter and for whatever reasons it being several months late is not acceptable under any circumstances.

My point simply being I commend the BOD for acting on this and their efforts to correct a problem. I also commend those directors that have come here to explain to those who frequent these forums at great peril the reasons and efforts to correct this problem. However at the end of the day those members who do not come here and who depend on other sources for their information and understanding of the operation and functioning of this organization are still out in the cold so to speak and that is the bigger picture of any situation such as this. Thus my position that this situation is inexcusable stands.

CAN'T argue with you on that... Inexcusable!!!!!!

default_10_2_12.gif
OMG can we please stop the finger pointing? Surely I am not the only one that has a horse show to get ready for. Instead of pointing fingers and looking to blame someone, how about we think of ways we can HELP the Journal get out on time?

For those of you who are not aware my experience in the publishing industry spans 20 years and ranges from pre-press to bindary.

Then perhaps with you being on the committee you can go into the office and get the journal ready to be mailed out...I think that is what we all want we want our "OFFICIAL NEWSLETTER" and sorry Carin, there is nothing we as a membership can do to get out 2 journals that have not even printed at this point, that lies with the people who are paid to do this....

The process used for submitting materials to the publisher is state of the art
I disagree with this. As a designer submitting to the publication for the first time, I was told there was no way to FTP my submission to the office. I had to write everything to a disk and mail it in. I do not think this is state of the art! This is one area, if improved, would help with late ad submissions in my opinion.

I disagree with this. As a designer submitting to the publication for the first time, I was told there was no way to FTP my submission to the office. I had to write everything to a disk and mail it in. I do not think this is state of the art! This is one area, if improved, would help with late ad submissions in my opinion.
I believe you misinterpreted my statement - the process for submitting materials to the publisher (M&D Publishing) is state of the art and entirely electronic. The Journal itself does have several different ways to receive files electronically but does not have FTP as the ASPC/AMHR does not have web space dedicated to this purpose. I have not personally submitted an ad via CD in years.

And as far as visiting the Journal office ?? I have never been invited to Amy's house , so guess that is why I have not been . We all Know the Journal is done in Amy's home.. So it is not that you could just stop by when in the neighborhood..
I wasn't invited either. The Journal office is located in Amy's home but has two exterior entrances. It is not unusual for advertisers who are in the area to stop in to The Journal office and past chairs & members of The Journal Committee have also stopped in as well as the wife of a past President. Visitors have always been welcome at The Journal office during business hours.

As a fairly new person to the miniature horse world, I would like to say that I want what I paid for, a subscription to the Journal.

I am sure that other newbies do the same thing that I do. I study the Journal and the World magazines for styles, breeding and anything to do with miniature horses.This includes the styles of halters, harnesses, carts, clothing , breeding and on and on.

I closely study the advertisements and read every detail. Without all of this information, I have to go seek it elsewhere and sometimes cant find answers.

I have been involved in the AQHA industry and the Paint industry for 50+ years and have never had a problem getting the Journals from either association. I think the fact that we cant get our magazines, that we paid for, is inexcusable.

Lewella..

I ask again..... Was the director bios and Congress info and schedule added to the April/May issue since it has been to print so many times? When will the April issue hit mailboxes and then will the June/July issue be out prior to Congress?

During all this production of the June/July issue of the Journal continued. The August/September issue is projected to mail on time.
Lewella Tembreull

Director Area VI & member of The Journal Committee
You said the August issue will be back on track being mailed out mid August- so in the next 45 days or so we will be getting 2 issues of the Journal?

Perhaps if you could give guessimate dates we can expect the April and June issues it would answer a lot of the questions?

I had to write everything to a disk and mail it in. I do not think this is state of the art! This is one area, if improved, would help with late ad submissions in my opinion.
I would have to say I have my doubts about that being of any help. All it would do is have people thinking "oh, I can just e-mail this ad in, so I don't need to do it now, I can leave it until next week, because the deadline is next Wednesday. If I e-mail it in Wednesday or even Thursday, that will be good enough."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back