AMHR Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted about the Journal about a week ago. My opinion till they can get the Journal out on time to the members to me it is a waste of money to take out any type of advertisement.

Yes the Journal is very frusterating. Another thing to add to my list is where is the AMHR National premium? I emailed AMHR about it and it almost sounded like they forgot about it and will try to put it out the end of this month. One thing I want to say about that is how can AMHR forget about their biggest money maker??? Also yes they are going to loose advertisers to the Journal if this keeps continuing and it started last year.

If it (meaning the April/May) issue has not yet gone to print I wonder if they can combine it with the next one? Otherwise how can they ever catch up? Our June/July issue should be going out now this would put the Nationals issue out in Feb or March sometime if it doesnt get caught up
default_new_shocked.gif

Maybe combining 2 issues would be less stressful for Journal staff as well?

The Nationals premium listing is to be posted on the website at the end of June and the deadline for entries will be the same as last year, August 1st.

What was the reason given that the Journal is so late being issued?

I have been told its late due to us pulling out of WEG.

They would have been better off attaching a flyer saying to omit the information on the pages of the magazine about the WEG if thats the case. This way others who purchased ads could have their information out to others on time. The magazine would have come out on time with a note avoid such and such page cancelled. To me there is no more issues for the Journal not to get to its members who pay to advertise and not geting what they paid for. We as members have to have our ad in on time. They need to do something to get the Journal out on time or no longer publish a magazine. This is my opinion.

I know everyone is frustrated. From what I heard the april/may journal has been re done almost 2 times now due to last minute changes. Anytime you pull or add its going to delay printing as then you have to get the printer to put you back in the schedule. I just feel bad for Amy has I think she takes a lot of heat for the Journal being late when many times its out of her control.

I dont think they could combine 2 issues as advertising would be a major nightmare.

I really dont know what the answer is?

So what is being done to correct the problems? This isn't the first time, I'm sure at this point it won't be the last. But what is being done to fix it? Who is responsible for the changes that lead to it being late again? Who makes all of the decisions anyway, I never see anything on the website until after the fact. So who is held accountable?

I agree with all of you. The Miniature Horse World gets THEIR Worlds issue out in Dec, and THEIR National competition is AFTER AMHR's! I didn't see my Nationals issue until January or Feb last year... by that time, who cares?

If whoever is handling this isn't up for the challenge, maybe s/he needs replaced?

Lucy

I think to be proactive people should contact their directors. Some times these late pulling and adding in the magazine pre printing are due to board decisions being made which alters what is printed. Like I said Amy has no control over that.

I am tight and watch every penny, but have always felt that the Journal was the where I could get the most bang for the buck. I have advertised heavily in the Journal for many years. However because of it being so late the last year or so, I tried someting different for the past issue.

The lady on Good morning America always says not to pay for things until you get them and are satisfied, so I tried it. I sent my ad in for the April-May issue on Feb. 15th. I have not paid for it. I have not gotten a bill. Do you guys think I should pay for it. I suppose I will,because I won't be able to get any paper work done if I don't, but kind of think that I am getting the shaft.

Lavern-I think that is a GREAT idea! There is no way you should have to pay for an advertisement that was supposed to be out in APRIL that is still not out-it is almost JULY. I really think that if you called and complained and said that if you didn't have that comped due to it being 3 months late then you'd stop all advertising with The Journal and were going to go to the AMHA magazine instead, I bet they wouldn't make you pay. If they still decided you need to pay, then you definitely should not advertise with them anymore and neither should anyone else.

NOW as for the issue of the Journals coming out late due to last minute changes. DEADLINES DEADLINES DEADLINES!!!!!!! Every magazine has deadlines and that is due to this very situation. If there are last minute board changes then that needs to be put into the next issue PERIOD. If they would have waited to put those changes into the June/July issue, there would not be a bunch of angry Journal advertisers and they'd still get their changes into the Journal in a timely manner. This is absolutely ridiculous and is exactly why when I do advertise it will be with AMHA.

The thing is is that I love the Journal. The colors are so much truer with the Journal verses the World. I see some of the ads that go to the World and they are nowhere near what is sent in. And the Journal are dead on, but the paper is not as good. Neither of them are even close to Betty's Showcase. The black color in the World is poor.

What difference does it make if they have wonderful color if no one gets to see it and when they do its outdated information. I do agree this is not totally the editors fault, but someone must be held accoutable, this is after all, a business. We pay good money to receive the breed publication at predetermined times with every regular membership. And as it is now, we barely get more than a color pamplet with less and less advertising in it.

Well,first you spend a fortune getting the perfect picture- Then there is the graphic person -maybe 100 to 500 a page to design it. And then the back and forth with the graphic person to get it just like you want. It is always change this color try this shade, "no, I don't like that font". You just want it perfect. It goes on for days. Finally you get it just like you want it then you wait and then when it comes out you compare it with what was sent in and it is not the same, you get mad, but you have already paid the bill.

But I agree what difference does it make if you don't even get it.

I don't want to comment on Amy or the Registry or whose fault it is... but this "late LATE Journal" thing is RIDICULOUS! I have had magazine subscriptions, as have lots of people... usually they hit newstands by the FIRST of the first month (i.e. June 1st for a June/July issue, December 1st for a Dec/Jan issue, etc.)

Why bother even HAVING a magazine if it's not published in time for anything? If it is to advertise and provide information, well with the Internet, the bar is set. People want information NOW.

I see ads in the Journal for sales and auctions that have already passed by the time I get it. I get Convention news just a couple of weeks before the actual Convention.

I just rely on the Internet for information, since the Registry obviously is behind the times here.

Andrea

.... I really think that if you called and complained and said that if you didn't have that comped due to it being 3 months late then you'd stop all advertising with The Journal and were going to go to the AMHA magazine instead, I bet they wouldn't make you pay. If they still decided you need to pay, then you definitely should not advertise with them anymore and neither should anyone else.

.... This is absolutely ridiculous and is exactly why when I do advertise it will be with AMHA.
I have not commented on this topic so far, because I don't have the money to place farm ads in either publication (although I do advertise in all three publications through the Smallest Horse Group).

Your suggestion would work splendidly for anyone who raises double registered horses, but simply would not work at all for those who brag about their horses being Exclusively/Straight/ or simply R only.

Again, I am not putting down R horses. Every horse I have is registered with both AMHA and AMHR. I simply cannot understand some who are abandoning their AMHA horses and going totally with AMHR and ASPC with the problems that exist.

Some members on this board trashed AMHA to no end for a variety of problems, including dropping the HorseStudbook after investing so much money in it. Later, AMHR did the same thing. Seems to me maybe AMHA was a little ahead in the game. At least at the moment, some of the heat is off of AMHA.

BOTH registries have their GOOD points and their BAD points. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all concentrate on improving each in a positive manner (and certainly not inferring that the above quote is not trying to make a positive improvement).

I gave up on the Journal a long time ago and don't take it any more. Sorry problems are still going on by the thread here.

Joyce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back