AMHR Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They certainly do both have their good points and bad points-that's just life in general. It's a given. Yes, there are a lot of people who breed straight AMHR/shetland, but there are other ways to advertise besides the Journal. I myself have a mixture-I have miniatures who are just AMHR and some who are double. Why should taking away AMHA papers make the current horse market worse? The current horse market is due to a poor economy and an overabundance of poor-average quality horses. It has nothing to do with registering a horse with one registry or the other.

My suggestion is a perfect way to try to make the Journal change their ways. They can't come out with it late every issue and not expect upset people. You can take my suggestion and do it in a tactful way. They have to understand that and in order to keep advertisers they are going to have to comp a lot of the late advertisements. That is the way business goes.

You are right about people jumping the gun about complaining about the registries. We have no idea exactly what goes on at the headquarters every day. It's a lot of work and I love that the registries are always trying new things, whether they fail or not. BUT, this is not AMHR trying something new. This is their magazine that has been out for years and years and years. I used to love the Journal. Not so much anymore and the late issues have been coming for far too long.

ohmt, please don't think that anything in my post that came across negatively was directed at you. My only point in quoting you was that people that don't breed AMHA cannot very well advertise in AMHA.

I do see this entire situation as an opportunity for the advancement of the Showcase (which I love).

This has nothing to do with one registry being better than the other. It is about the Journal magazine coming out on time and getting to its members. These are hard times for many and people pay for advertisement and expect it to be out on time. I dont want to sit in front of my computor and read the current news. I enjoy relaxing and reading about things in the Journal. I dont know who is at fault . I just want to make them aware that members are not happy about this magazine being late for some time now. If you call the office they cant tell you anything so who can. I think the members need a explanation as to why this is happening. First it was not enough help then Amy got someone to help then people say it because of backing out on something but it time to FIX IT. Who do we go to to complain about this?. Do members get refunds for ads not on time and out dated.? Does this delay cost the regisrty more money to keep on changing things? I think as members this should be explained and adressed on there web site. I also know of many members that dont have computors . How else are they to get information about AMHR ASPC without the Journal?

ohmt, please don't think that anything in my post that came across negatively was directed at you. My only point in quoting you was that people that don't breed AMHA cannot very well advertise in AMHA.

I do see this entire situation as an opportunity for the advancement of the Showcase (which I love).
Songcatcher-I do know you didn't mean to offend anyone! I have been on this forum for years and you've always been wonderful. I did not mean to come across as being snappy either. The downfall of a forum instead face to face conservation
default_smile.png
Sometimes I get in a hurry and forget to add a few smileys to let people know that I am in no way out for a fight. I also love the Showcase-the quality is great and so are the prices for advertising!

I have been told its late due to us pulling out of WEG.

I am not sure why it is late and am sure there is a reason but the sole reason being WEG is one I simply can not believe

I I am not sure how getting caught up will ever happen but Congress and Nationals are the biggest issues and with the current 2 issue behind mess I can not see how they will get caught up and get out on time for a Congress or Nationals issue. I can only imagine being this far behind adds even more stress to Amy

Although like someone else said even in this economy seems like it would be a great time for someone to start up a Mini/Shetland magazine with informational articles, historical articles and I am sure lots of advertising??

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply cannot understand some who are abandoning their AMHA horses and going totally with AMHR and ASPC with the problems that exist.
I suspect it is because ASPC/AMHR is so much more than just the Journal. The Journal (or lack of it!) is just one small part of the organization, and I'm quite certain that even if the Journal were to cease to exist the majority of members would still continue to pay their membership and buy/sell/register/show their ASPC and AMHR animals.

I don't know why the Journal is late. Previously some indicate it's the editor's fault; others will say it's the fault of the office for not getting reports in on time...if you talk to the right person at the office you are likely to get told that it's not the office's fault at all, because all reports were in long ago...I don't think that contacting anyone really does any good because I know plenty that have complained to their directors nd yet nothing has changed.

If they did away with the Journal I would hope there is a huge price decrease of membership, but I digress. I am sure all of our questions will be answered in the June/July issue coming to mailboxes in late Sept. Just keep watching for it.

That decision was made in June well after the April/May issue was supposed to be printed and in the mail.I am not sure why it is late and am sure there is a reason but the WEG is one I simply can not believe

Given that the June issue should be coming to our mailboxes now and that the WEG decision was made by the BOD THIS MONTH IN JUNE I do not see how that decision should effect an issue that should have been hitting mailboxes towards the end of April. I am not sure how getting caught up will ever happen but Congress and Nationals are the biggest issues and with the current 2 issue behind mess I can not see how they will get caught up and get out on time for a Congress or Nationals issue. I can only imagine being this far behind adds even more stress to Amy
I just dont think it is that cut and dry. I feel sure questions about pulling out of WEG started before the board conference call in June. I dont think the WEG issue is the ONLY reason but it contributed for sure. If changes kept being asked for in the april/may issue and a firm decision was not made until June then its easy to see why its late. Which in turn makes the June/July issue late.

I guess unless a director happens to come on and tell us why then none of us really know what the hold up is.

I suspect it is because ASPC/AMHR is so much more than just the Journal. The Journal (or lack of it!) is just one small part of the organization, and I'm quite certain that even if the Journal were to cease to exist the majority of members would still continue to pay their membership and buy/sell/register/show their ASPC and AMHR animals.
Strongly agree

Kay

This has nothing to do with one registry being better than the other. It is about the Journal magazine coming out on time and getting to its members. These are hard times for many and people pay for advertisement and expect it to be out on time. I dont want to sit in front of my computor and read the current news. I enjoy relaxing and reading about things in the Journal. I dont know who is at fault . I just want to make them aware that members are not happy about this magazine being late for some time now. If you call the office they cant tell you anything so who can. I think the members need a explanation as to why this is happening. First it was not enough help then Amy got someone to help then people say it because of backing out on something but it time to FIX IT. Who do we go to to complain about this?. Do members get refunds for ads not on time and out dated.? Does this delay cost the regisrty more money to keep on changing things? I think as members this should be explained and adressed on there web site. I also know of many members that dont have computors . How else are they to get information about AMHR ASPC without the Journal?
Please don't stop reading in the middle of my post or you will miss the point. It actually IS about one registry being better than the other (in certain respects). If people pay for a product they do not get (magazine or advertising), that registry is not as good as one who does provide the product paid for. If people cannot get the information from the registry that they need, that registry is not as good as the one which does provide the information in a timely manner. If one registry's organization is in such a mess that they cannot get the publication of their magazine straightened out, people are likely to lose confidence in other aspects of that registry as well. So, in THIS case, at THIS time AMHR is not as good, but that certainly does NOT mean that that is true in every case, every time, as we have all observed in the past.

I will continue to register all my horses with AMHA AND AMHR and will continue to advertise in all three magazines through the Smallest Horse Group ad (as it is not time sensitive). But, like many of you, if I were intending to place a time sensitive ad for a sale, show, etc., I would not waste my money on the Journal.
default_rolleyes.gif

JMO, the late Journals aren't just the responsibility of the editor. I think we're looking at a number of issues in a disfunctional organization. This may just be the tip of the iceberg.
default_hot.gif
Wow that is a pretty strong statement.. You don't see some of the disfunctions of AMHA being aired here , and both have their demons believe me .. It does no good for either Assoc to bash one over the other .. There is more than enough room for both Assoc. and each one has their good points and plenty of them.

We as Directors for AMHR/ASPC are concerned and we have had a meeting about the late issues , and the Editor has assured us we will be back on track by the Aug issue , and yes we know if not then we will need to take further measures .. But at this time more help has been hired , and we can just hope that we have fixed the problem.

Again as Area V Director I am sorry to those who had ads in the April /May issue and I was one of them, we will refund the money for those advertisers who had time sensitive ads, such as sales , shows etc.. Believe me you will not be charged for those . I hope we can just go forward from here and have the Journal in our mailboxes in a timely manner .

And for any of the other Directors who lurk on here , I welcome you to put your two cents in also., Silence is not always golden !!!!!

Belinda Bagby

Cross Country Farm

I would say to all qualified potential editors, send in your resume and let the members vote on who can do the job. But god forbid with the last ballot fiasco, it would take another 6 months and 3 more missed issues to get everything in place.

As an editor you can tell the board if they missed the deadline. Too bad. Print the issue and make the deadline.

If it is important enough, a retraction or update can be mailed after the fact.

Lucy, how many times did "The Hobby Horse News" come late. And one person wrote, edited, did layout, physically published, mailed and sold subscriptions and maintained membership of a issue that mailed 6 times a year plus a bonus issue. Let me get a copy of her resume to throw into the ring.

I personally wish that we could decide whether or not we want to get the journal, I usually just scan thru it and put it aside as there isn't anything really to read in it like the AMHA world. I think that we should be able to have our membership with or w/o the journal our choice, it would save millions of trees and our membership w/o should be less.

April

default_unsure.png
Whoopsie

We as Directors for AMHR/ASPC are concerned and we have had a meeting about the late issues , and the Editor has assured us we will be back on track by the Aug issue , and yes we know if not then we will need to take further measures .. But at this time more help has been hired , and we can just hope that we have fixed the problem.

Again as Area V Director I am sorry to those who had ads in the April /May issue and I was one of them, we will refund the money for those advertisers who had time sensitive ads, such as sales , shows etc.. Believe me you will not be charged for those . I hope we can just go forward from here and have the Journal in our mailboxes in a timely manner .

Belinda Bagby

Cross Country Farm
Thanks for the info Belinda- I sure hope it can get back on track and we can all move on to other issues - no pun intended lol :) and I am sure those advertisers really appreciate not having to pay for those ads.

Nice to have someone come on and let us know what is going on!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

I would like to applaud Belinda for responding to this. Is she he only director with any guts? I can understand directors not want to stick their necks out and actually say something , shoot they might not get re elected if they ever talked to us. On the other hand maybe thats how you do get re elected. But, hey they wanted the job.

Now for a question to Belinda. Has it always been the policy of the Journal to refund money to advertisers that didn't get time sensitive material in? Or is this something that was just decided on by a majority of the board members at a recent meeting. It sometimes seems that every director gives you a different answer to the same question.

I would like to applaud Belinda for responding to this. Is she he only director with any guts? I can understand directors not want to stick their necks out and actually say something , shoot they might not get re elected if they ever talked to us. On the other hand maybe thats how you do get re elected. But, hey they wanted the job.

Now for a question to Belinda. Has it always been the policy of the Journal to refund money to advertisers that didn't get time sensitive material in? Or is this something that was just decided on by a majority of the board members at a recent meeting. It sometimes seems that every director gives you a different answer to the same question.
LaVern

To answer your question about has it been policy , I do not know !! All I know is at' this time when I was talking with Larry , as I had several complaints from people who had placed ads that were dated, Larry said under no circumstances were those folks going to pay for those ads, and then when we had our conference call the board all agreed that those folks would not pay. Actually I think the ads were pulled from the Journal.. I agree this lateness is not acceptable , but we are trying to fix the problem ..

Thank you Belinda, A straight answer to a question. Bless you. Renee

If people pay for a product they do not get (magazine or advertising), that registry is not as good as one who does provide the product paid for. If people cannot get the information from the registry that they need, that registry is not as good as the one which does provide the information in a timely manner. If one registry's organization is in such a mess that they cannot get the publication of their magazine straightened out, people are likely to lose confidence in other aspects of that registry as well. So, in THIS case, at THIS time AMHR is not as good, but that certainly does NOT mean that that is true in every case, every time, as we have all observed in the past.
You know, I'm honestly not sure how a late magazine means that the registry is not as good as some other similar registry? I'm not even sure how a late magazine makes a registry's complete organization "a mess"! For me, a late magazine does not make the registry inferior in any way. If the only thing that makes a registry or organization superior is the newsletter or magazine that it produces, IMO that doesn't say much for the registry/organization.
I too thank Belinda for coming on here & giving that info. It is good to know that the BOD is on the magazine problem and trying to get it resolved.

Thanks for the information Belinda . Can you tell us when we can expect the April/ May issue of the Journal ?Hope it gets solved and the Journal comes on time.

Belinda-- this is a statement given by all directors?

I would say to all qualified potential editors, send in your resume and let the members vote on who can do the job.
I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be an employee of ASPC/AMHR and read comments like these on a very large public forum.

Lets all put ourselves in the "editors" shoes. How would you feel about your job performance being discussed here? Especially by a director?

Over the years anytime I have questioned what an employee has done/did of ASPC/AMHR--on a public forum-- I was always told personnel issues cannot be discussed except by the board and in closed sessions. Which I totally respect.

I was told by a different director that many changes were asked for and that it was not just the editors fault that the Journal was late.

This whole situation to me is just sad. Seems like a big witch hunt with a whipping girl at the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back