AMHR Journal/Membership

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you feel if AMHR decides to make it a option for members when they are renewing their memb

• I would like to keep it the way it is Members always receive the Journal.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I would like to beable to choose whether or not to receive the Journal if the membership price is re

Votes: 48 64.0%
  • I am not a member but if the membership price was lowered without having to receive the Journal just

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not interested in becoming a member.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
This is coming from another post about the AMHR Journal. Since the Journal is having issues at getting it out to its members perhaps we should have a choice whether or not to receive the Journal. Which means lower membership fee and possibly bring in new members.

I understand they consider the Journal a "newsletter," not a magazine, but as far as I'm concerned it's a big magazine that has absolutely zero articles of interest and takes up a lot of trees. I'm happy to read it online but wish I didn't have to both pay for it and throw it out every couple of months! What a waste.

Leia

Leia the Journal IS the official newsletter of ASPC/AMHR. This is where all official changes and notifications are published to get notify the members. If you have members that dont get the Journal I can only imagine the lawsuits when they find out about a change they were not aware of. Now weather you read it or not is up to you but at least then you cant say you were not notified. We still have a lot of members that do not use the internet so only having an online version will not work.

Its been said before the Journal has to have a certain ratio of ads to articles.

So as members if we want more articles there either has to be more ads run or a bylaw or rule change would have to be submitted to change the ratios (I have no idea which one it would be)

Kay

Even though I am no longer raising miniatures, I will continue my membership and I will continue my involvement through the sweepstakes and other activities. And I definitely want to see the Journal continue to be part of the membership fee. Anyone who does not take the time to read it is missing out on some informative articles, not to mention updates on what is happening in the registries in terms of rule changes, upcoming events, etc etc etc. I have kept all of my Journals since I joined in 1991 - and they are great reference tools, especially in my business as a web designer. Sometimes a client will send me some information about a horse that I have a hunch is incorrect - and it is easy to go back to verify that info! A great all around reference/information tool.

Although the Journal doesn't match up with the AMHA magazine, it is the legal published outlet for updates and changes within the registry for members, as Kay has posted. This is important.

If they allowed the Journal to be subscription only, AMHR would have to mail out all sorts of individual notices to members to let people know every little thing that was going on, just for legal purposes. This would increase office expenses which would eventually be passed on to us - the members........ And then get ready for complaints about increases in fees!
default_wink.png

Alot of changes and notifications that I had read when I received my last Journal was too late for shows and registry work, etc.. If they have to rely on the Journal to send out any news they need to send it out on time. It gives them no exuse that they can find other means to get word out. Sending out pieces of paper to members about notifications and changes is cheaper then sending them out in a magazine.

I voted to keep the membership and the Journal together as they are now. I have no interest in having a membership without the Journal and I don't want to see my membership fee go up because some choose to not have the Journal and then those people instead have to have special mailings whenever there is a rule change or some sort of news or update that must be gotten out to all members.

If they were to split the Journal off of the membership then I would hope that those members that don't want to receive the Journal would be required to sign some sort of waiver stating that they realize they may miss out on updates or rule changes and will not hold ASPC/AMHR responsible for any loss which may arise because of that. That way they don't have to have special mailings sent out to them. They can just not get any registry news and if they miss out on something important that is their problem.

I do keep all my Journals. I kept all our old Morgan magazines, from the '60s up to 2002, and I have referred to them many times. Yes, I'll likely throw them out now, but they've been well worth having all these years. The Journals are the same--I do refer back to stuff in them from time to time & wouldn't think of throwing them out as soon as I've read them.

Well I would think anyone who would not want to receive the Journal would only be interested in doing registry work. You can still receive rulebook supplements for any rule changes. Also I think and it should be this way now anyways MAJOR changes going on must be sent to all members, not just rely on the Journal.

Also I think and it should be this way now anyways MAJOR changes going on must be sent to all members, not just rely on the Journal.
Exactly...they can CALL it a "newsletter" all they want...but it is first and formost a magazine. Newsletters are free to the membership of a club...members should NOT be charged for access to membership information, that is what you pay membership fees for.

I don't remember the year it changed, but the membership and Journal used to be separate it I recall. If it worked for many years before they changed it then why wouldn't it work again?

I voted for the lower membership fee without the journal. I can peronally tell you that I would read something sent to me instead of it be just placed in a book that advertises more shetlands than miniatures and I just look thru the pics and toss aside. I raise miniatures and I am really not into the shetands. I like the AMHA publication better as there are actual articles instead of just a bunch of expensive ads from people's farms. I am sorry but they are making money off of those ads. I know that this may upset some people and I am sorry but we all have our own opinion on things and that is what makes us human.

I voted for the lower membership fee without the journal. I can peronally tell you that I would read something sent to me instead of it be just placed in a book that advertises more shetlands than miniatures and I just look thru the pics and toss aside. I raise miniatures and I am really not into the shetands. I like the AMHA publication better as there are actual articles instead of just a bunch of expensive ads from people's farms. I am sorry but they are making money off of those ads. I know that this may upset some people and I am sorry but we all have our own opinion on things and that is what makes us human.

IF there are more ads form shetlands than minis -- then I guess advertising must be more important to the Shetland people.

Advertising rates are the same for ALL members. Perhaps if more members would pay to advertise -- then you would get more of the other things you say you want in the amgazine. It all starts with US as individuals -- we need to personally start to support both our organization and our Journal -- which is OUR VOICE -- only if we choose to use it.

I, personally am tired of all of the JOournalo bashing I have seen on here .

It is so EASY to ciritize others for what ever reason -- but so hard to see that we might share the blame in some small way.

FOR those that think the AMHA magazine has "LESS" paid advertising in it -- you must get a different magazine than I do -- my last issue was FULL of expensive full page color ads-- way more than the Journal has.

But why do the magazines have to be the same?? They are 2 different organizations --

Why do the organizations always have to be compared -- One is never always right & the other always wrong -- they are simply different.

I am a proud member of both & feel no need to knock one & praise the other.

Some people are never happy unless stirring up a controversey on some level.

IF there are more ads form shetlands than minis -- then I guess advertising must be more important to the Shetland people.Advertising rates are the same for ALL members. Perhaps if more members would pay to advertise -- then you would get more of the other things you say you want in the amgazine. It all starts with US as individuals -- we need to personally start to support both our organization and our Journal -- which is OUR VOICE -- only if we choose to use it.

I, personally am tired of all of the JOournalo bashing I have seen on here .

It is so EASY to ciritize others for what ever reason -- but so hard to see that we might share the blame in some small way.

FOR those that think the AMHA magazine has "LESS" paid advertising in it -- you must get a different magazine than I do -- my last issue was FULL of expensive full page color ads-- way more than the Journal has.

But why do the magazines have to be the same?? They are 2 different organizations --

Why do the organizations always have to be compared -- One is never always right & the other always wrong -- they are simply different.

Advertising is not more important to Shetland owners/breeders, it is just that the Journal is the only thing they have while the miniature owners/breeders have the AMHA magazine. I agree with you in that some people are never happy unless they have something to complain about, but I must disagree with you and say that what people are complaining about with the Journal is 100% justified. They paid for it, they should have it, plain and simple. The Journal is only hurting itself further with its tardiness. I have noticed that my Journals lately (the ones that I HAVE received) are filled mostly with Shetland ads. Why? Because the Journal is pushing miniature horse advertisers to the World magazine. The Journal does not have very much for educational editorials and it has few historical pieces, that is fact. While I know that some slack should be cut for a few various reasons, it gets a bit old after a while. Something's gotta give...

VERY well said !!!!

..... and say that what people are complaining about with the Journal is 100% justified. They paid for it, they should have it, plain and simple. The Journal is only hurting itself further with its tardiness.
I believe that if you go back and read the topic that was here a few weeks ago explaining what happened - you will see that the Editor did everything possible to get the Journal out in a timely fashion, but because the Board and Management were (in my opinion) sold a "bill of goods" by an individual or individuals, and did not do an adequate job of investigating what the impact of becoming involved with the World Equestrian Games in Kentucky would be - they had to go back to the drawing board numerous times. That's what happens when there is no due diligence taken in undergoing something of that magnitude (i.e., $$$ and long-term impact). I firmly believe that there are individuals that are in a position of power that should have done more investigation before letting it get to the point that it did...and only discovered what a fiasco it would have been after the Journal was basically "put to bed"!

Hopefully future issues won't be faced with so much 'drama' and will go out in a timely fashion. Quite frankly, I believe our Editor puts up with the idiotic political garbage she has to deal with only because she is passionate about the industry and wants to see it thrive.

We advertise in at least 50% of the issues per year in the Journal.

So-- I feel I can say -- if you want to see more ads for the minis in the Journal -- PUT ONE IN yourself.

Every problem always has a solution. If we do not want to be part of the problem -- then let us be a part of the SOLUTION. Get behind our organization -- put our paid ads in the Journal & let us see what a difference we can make.

IF everyone really believed in the power of one -- we could achieve a lot of positive things.

IF you don't like how things are run-- get out & vote to change your directors -- for if things are not to your liking -- Change it -- Every one has a voice .

GO to convention-- talk to your directors --see if they really are interested in improving what "YOU" want improved. IF they don't listen -- change your vote.

We can now vote by mail in ballot -- so you don't even HAVE to go to Cnovention any longer to have your say.

It all starts with each one of us.

THere is a song " Let it Begin with ME ,Lord. "

Why not give it a try?? Sure beats bickering amongst ourselves.

Good night all.

Last edited by a moderator:
JeanB, I've read through all of the topics regarding the Journal coming out late and do know how much the editor has had to put up with. As I said in my earlier post, slack needs to be given due to various reasons. I was not trying to put the editor down in any way. I'm sure she does the best she can with what she has, but that doesn't make the Journal any better and that doesn't get the past few issues to the people who have paid for them. Not trying to start anything-I haven't posted on any of the other threads because I understand there are always at least 2 sides to a story. That being said, my money is being spent on Journals that I don't have and that I probably won't read. So back to the point of this thread, I'd rather have the membership and Journal fees separate. Even if the registration fees go up, it'd still save me a little bit. A little bit these days (especially on a college girls budget) makes a difference.

Thing is it never started with this one issue of the Journal its been happining for that past couple of years where the Journal comes out past its deadline. It seems like since then fewer and fewer ads are being put in which means people must not be happy with something.

I would love to see more ads too, but the thing is you can't just make people pay and put ads in. It isn't the Journal's responsibility for that but it is their responsibility for coming out with a high quality product and also on time.

Yes, it's been happening for a couple of years, ever since the editor lost her office assistant. Without someone in the office to take care of things...no one trained to replace that person so no one to do so many of the things that have since fallen to the editor to do herself...I wonder how many of the complainers could have done a better job & continued to get the Journal out on schedule? Easy to complain when you're not the one that has to do the job, not so easy to actually DO IT if you are the one that is responsible for doing the job. Now that she has an assistant again and things are getting caught up I believe that we will see the Journal coming out on schedule again.

People can help too, by getting their ads in on time, even EARLY, instead of waiting until the very last minute to send them in. It never ceases to amaze me how so many people wait until the absolute last minute to send anything....stallion reports that don't get mailed until Jan. 15th, show entries that get mailed on the last day allowed, futurity nominations that get mailed on the last day allowed. Why can't things get mailed a week ahead of the deadline???

Some people have noted that the April/May issue of the Journal was said to be extremely late because of the cancellation of ASPC participation in WEG, yet all that was done was stamp "Cancelled" across the columns in the magazine. Thing is, how many of us know how much other content was actually removed, meaning the rest had to be restructured? I sure don't, and I doubt most others do either.

As for Shetland advertising exceeding Mini advertising--I haven't noticed that. The Congress issue is usually full of Shetland ads, while the Nationals issue is mostly Miniatures. I just flipped through the April issue again today & seems to me I count more Mini than Shetland ads. But, perhaps I just don't notice which is which in all cases? Maybe it's true and the Shetlands are the ones paying for the Journal? OMG and here so many complain that the Minis are paying for everything. Everything but the Journal maybe???
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

As an AMHR only owner who advertises in the Journal with her AMHR miniatures, I am saddened that mine, and so many of my AMHR friends' miniature horse ads get over looked!
default_new_shocked.gif
There are many miniature horse farms that advertise in the Journal! Some farms may have AMHR/ASPC horses now, but they are still supporting AMHR. The only time I see the Shetlands overpowering the Journal is during the Congress issue - Which I fully support. I still advertise my miniature farm in those issues. It is just such a shame...

I voted for "I would like to beable to choose whether or not to receive the Journal if the membership price is reduced." BECAUSE I am an advertiser, and get TWO copies already! I love my Journal, and prefer it over any other magazine. I'm sorry others don't feel the same.

I understand they consider the Journal a "newsletter," not a magazine, but as far as I'm concerned it's a big magazine that has absolutely zero articles of interest and takes up a lot of trees. I'm happy to read it online but wish I didn't have to both pay for it and throw it out every couple of months! What a waste.

Leia
Oh please don't just throw them away. Donate them to local hospitals and shelters. I donated years worth of mags to a local literacy council and they were thrilled!

Latest posts

Back