AMHR/ASPC or AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenna

Reaction score
There are two registries a we all know and i was wondering which one you prefer and why. Im kinda interested in everyone's opinions and would prefer this to not beocme a flame topic or whatever, I have no idea which registry I want to participate in once I someday start my own farm, but its nice to hear your opinion of which one you guys prefer (or if you participate in both) and why
default_smile.png

Basically, I prefer AMHR because I enjoy my "B" sized horses. I have had "A" sized and double registered, but I have always shown AMHR. I guess I just like having the option of over 34" if I want.

Barbara

I used to think that AMHR was more amateur/newbie friendly. AMHA is where all the trainers went and won. Now I'm seeing more and more AMHR shows being judged on who's on the end of the lead line.

I prefer the AMHA or AMHR-A sized, but have some great B horses too.

Right now I don't know which one I prefer at this time.

Straight ASPC ponies...however I do have a couple that are double registered AMHR/ASPC and a couple ASPC ponies that are just under 38". I have no interest in producing amhr/aspc or miniature horses - my goal is taller ASPC ponies, however, if some stay under 38" that is okay too..

Right now personally I really don't have much of a preference either to be perfectly honest. Both have good and bad points. I think you got to ask yourself which kind of horse do you prefer to have? Do you want just strictly A sized you may want to think about AMHA. Do you want to have A horses and sometimes Bs then that would be towards AMHR, but also AMHR its trend goes more toward the shetland look. Also whats around your area, is there more of a preference towards one or the other. Mine I think is more marketable towards R but yet A is getting more noticed around here.

Sometimes there isn't a choice in the organization, you have to go where the horse is you prefer. I lean toward the taller AMHR, shorter ASPC,,,,so, AMHA as an organization is not even a consideration for me. But being involved in only AMHR, I sooooooo love all the people! Those at the office, wonderful help, those at shows, even more wonderful help. The friends I have made, priceless!!

When I first started I was buying both AMHA/AMHR and ASPC. But when I started showing and realized there were no AMHA shows in my area I jumped into showing ASPC/AMHR. For a few years I kept registering my smaller ones AMHA but then one day I kinda had an ephiany and realized I just couldnt keep up and had to narrow my focus where it benefited me and my farm the most and that was ASPC/AMHR. We started our ASPC/AMHR herd about 5 years ago and now have AMHR/PTHA,ASPC AND ASPC/AMHR horses.

I have never shown AMHA so cant comment on that but I will say that I have been really blessed to meet some of the best people at ASPC/AMHR shows.

I dont at all feel that all judging in AMHR is done by whose on the lead. If that was true I wouldnt have near the placings myself and Kyle have gotten over the years. I still remember our first show (10 years ago?) when we had no clue what we were doing and no one knew who we were and still placed at a very large show.

I think everyone so far has given good reasons for their choice. The choice will be different for different people for many different reasons.

EVERY horse I own at this point is BOTH AMHA and AMHR registered. If I had to choose one or the other, it would be AMHA. I got into Miniatures because I wanted to raise tiny horses. I feel AMHA does a better job promoting the smaller horses than AMHR. In my opinion, it seems most of the R breeders on here strive for the tallest horse they can get to measure in rather than the smallest horse.

I'll jump in on this one. My herd is all double registered AMHR/AMHA -- but I will say that I am trending more toward the AMHR registry ever since AMHA closed their books.

For me to be able to reach MY breeding goals that include the refinement, necksets, pretty heads, out of this world movement, etc - I will likely need to incorporate some ASPC/AMHR blood (still on the fence about this a little) -- sooooo that means I will end up with AMHR only horses -- BUT I are really striving to hit the 34" mark with my "perfect horse" - so hence it could possibly end up as an AMHA sized horse, but be unable to be registered since the books are closed -- my personal opionion -- that is AMHA's loss and AMHR's gain -- there are far too many beautiful AMHR/ASPC/AMHA horses that are being blended that will end up being 34" and under that will have no registry except AMHR to go to.

Because we have a preference for the smaller minis, as Songcatcher pointed out AMHA does a better job of creating a market for the horses we aim to produce. I also like that they are moving toward having all stock PQ'd and potentially toward becoming a breed. That said, we don't have an AMHA show anywhere near us - not here in IL nor in the closest neighboring states (IA and WI). Next year we plan to bite the bullet and make the haul to a couple AMHA shows, but we also plan to show AMHR. I really admire how AMHR validates its place in the greater horse industry through its partnerships with organizations like USEF and how it makes minis more visible and more accessible by having everything from the nice area shows to smaller shows at several of the state's county fairs. That gives far more people an opportunity to get out there with their minis, and I think that's where AMHR trumps AMHA as far as being "beginner friendly." I like both the World and the Journal, though I think the World is a little more informative, and I've found the service at both offices to always be friendly and reliable. Sooooo...If I had to pick one it would be AMHA because that's where our core market is, but I'm glad that's a choice we've never had to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
I belong to AMHA/AMHR and Pinto. I prefer the under 34" horses especially as the bigger horses now tend to be all shetland ponies and while they are lovely I prefer the minis, without getting into how minis are mostly shetland blood :). Although where I live there are mostly AMHR shows I like AMHA shows better as they have more classes for amateurs including both AOTE and regular amateur classes. As for the people there are very nice people, and some not so nice, in all the organizations, we also show Pinto. It is expensive to belong to three but almost all our horses are at least double registered and some triple with pinto.

I am tiny myself so I prefer the 34" and under minis, and thus we started with AMHA. But my background is with Pintos (PtHA) so all our minis are also PtHA registered so we can show there. And then most were also AMHR registered, so we opted to have all our minis TRIPLE registered, hardshipping any that weren't already AMHR.

A key consideration for us is the shows - there are 4 PtHA association shows in CT each year, with several judges and plenty of opportunities for points. I love their award structure. I wish there were more AMHR shows in our area, because I would love to earn some halter and performance HOFs. We do have AMHA shows and they are full of World Show contenders/winners. It sure is a great feeling when you beat one of them but it doesn't happen very often!

Right now personally I really don't have much of a preference either to be perfectly honest. Both have good and bad points. I think you got to ask yourself which kind of horse do you prefer to have? Do you want just strictly A sized you may want to think about AMHA. Do you want to have A horses and sometimes Bs then that would be towards AMHR, but also AMHR its trend goes more toward the shetland look. Also whats around your area, is there more of a preference towards one or the other. Mine I think is more marketable towards R but yet A is getting more noticed around here.

I think JMS put it very well....... There is no definite answer.

We personally have some of each or some who are double registered, mostly because of their parentage and haven't hardshipped. I appreciate each registries for their strengths and recognize the weaknesses in each. (We have shown in both AMHA and AMHR, but not in Shetland - yet.)

When we started in 1996, we had AMHR and AMHR/AMHA horses and we were striving to get the 34" and under for the next few years. We soon learned that we like the over mini for performance and such so headed more toward AMHR. In 2003, we were introduced to the Foundation/ASPC/AMHR registered horse. We loved the look and the action. Now we have completely stopped registering AMHA. The main reason is cost and also so few AMHA shows in the area as well as the fact that we choose our main show herd at the beginning of the season and we like to take most or all of them to all shows. We can do that with AMHR/ASPC shows. I do wish there were a few more amateur options in AMHR, but there are a lot of other options and the youth program is great.

I don't think there is a "better" one, it depends on your tastes and the area you live.

I have only ever owned one AMHA registered horse. AMHA shows are not as frequent here, and it is a LOT more expensive to show and do registry work for AMHA than AMHR here. I also like a slightly bigger horse because I really enjoy driving and love what longer legs can do for action.

Therefore, I definitely prefer AMHR/ASPC. I have been a member for over a decade, whereas AMHA I was only a member for a year to get my AMHA/AMHR horse registered.

I would look around. If you like to show, see what Registry shows are nearest you. If you strive for Nationals, AMHR has recently been in OK and AMHA has been in TX.

Also see what the market around your area is. AMHA sells well here, but because of our strong AMHR shows, that registry is easily equally popular.

Andrea

I'll jump in on this one. My herd is all double registered AMHR/AMHA -- but I will say that I am trending more toward the AMHR registry ever since AMHA closed their books.

For me to be able to reach MY breeding goals that include the refinement, necksets, pretty heads, out of this world movement, etc - I will likely need to incorporate some ASPC/AMHR blood (still on the fence about this a little) -- sooooo that means I will end up with AMHR only horses -- BUT I are really striving to hit the 34" mark with my "perfect horse" - so hence it could possibly end up as an AMHA sized horse, but be unable to be registered since the books are closed -- my personal opionion -- that is AMHA's loss and AMHR's gain -- there are far too many beautiful AMHR/ASPC/AMHA horses that are being blended that will end up being 34" and under that will have no registry except AMHR to go to.
I am thinking exactly like you, and you said it so well.
default_yes.gif

Well, I am going to throw my opinion in here as well. It can't hurt!

I started out with my first miniature being WCMHR registered as a newbie at 11 years old. . .learned about a year later that if I wanted to get serious with minis that I needed to get into either AMHA and/or AMHR. We searched and searched around my home and found a lovely mini breeder farm only 30 minutes from my home. Went to go look and fell in love with my now main breeding sire as a weanling back in 2005 who came as a straight AMHR horse. 

Since then, I have decided that for me, I love ALL size miniatures but I like the flexibility that I have on height with AMHR. My horses range in size from 29.50" to 37.50" and every size inbetween. They each have their special characteristics and give a nice addition to my personal goals and desires. I have also been looking into the AMHR/ASPC ponies to blend with my AMHR only horses. . .we will have to see how that goes as it is still in the thinking process.

I too feel AMHR is more beginner friendly and easier on the wallets.

It's personal opinions and we, as miniature horse lovers, should be thankful that we can CHOOSE to participate in registries that best suit our needs and goals! 

I prefer AMHR because although I have A and R horses I breed for B size Miniatures for performance. There aren't any AMHA shows in our area and the AMHR has done more for Canadian Miniatures than the AMHA ever has.

Latest posts

Back