AMHR A or B

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHgirl

Reaction score
Wondered if anyone could give me insight as to whether the AMHR A or B size horses are more marketable in today's economy. Since they are many show people on here, what type of horses do people most look for -- pets, halter horses, driving, hunter, etc.? Thanks for any advice on this!
default_thumbup.gif

Hmm-- just from what I have seen with the increased popularity in show ponies I would say B because they generally make better driving horses. Again this is just my observations- what I have gleaned from going to shows and reading this forum.

I guess the average non-show person is looking for something they can have as a nice pet and also take for a drive-maybe show it at a local show or two and do well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would depend on what the buyer is looking for. I prefer the B minis for breeding especially the mare, and I like some leg and good hips. If the buyer is looking for halter horses they will want a ASPC/AMHR horse as that is what is winning in the show ring, especialy at the National level. All horses are suitable for performance. so if someone is looking for a driving horse they will look for those qualities and if someone is looking for obstacle they will look for a horse that is willing and looks where they are going, etc. It is up to the buyer what type of horse they are looking for. Some of the smaller minis will do very well in halter at AMHA and not place at all in AMHR so again it is preference.

I think the most important thing is the quality of the horse, regardless of the division. And by quality, I mean suited for whatever the purpose may be weather it driving or halter or jumping. I would rather have a B size horse I could win with then an A size that will be mediocre, or vice versa.

I have a little bigger mare that could probably produce some "B" horses, so I am wondering which way to go with her as far as picking out a stallion for her. Good conformation and temperament is a must for me, I definitely want to go with quality.

Back