AMHA VS AMHR ???????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Ok what exaxctly is the difference/ is one better or more recognized? Do I need to make my AMHA horses be registered with AMHR as well ??? and do I need to register my AMHR horses with AMHA?

are there any benefits to this? or is it ok I have some registered one place some another???

I don't show YET not sure if I ever will. So is it at all important WHICH registry I go with?

If you don't show I wouldn't worry about it. When I started most of my first horses were AMHR. My stallion I purchased was both. If you have one that is superb as far as conformation and can be registered under both I would. I started showing AMHR several years ago, so I prefer that registry. This is just the registry that I have gotten involved with and I like the bigger miniatures 34 - 38 inches. I have a few that are under 34 or right at 34 and are double registered and if I am at an AMHA/AMHR show I will show in both. If you do decide to start showing the only difference I know for sure is that the National AMHR show is less expensive for stalls than the National AMHA show. Both registries have their own Politics as with anything else.

If you're planning on breeding-the sire and dam both need to be from the same registry in order for the foal to be eligible for registration.

If you're planning on breeding-the sire and dam both need to be from the same registry in order for the foal to be eligible for registration.

What djskid says is very important.

If you are not breeding, but are interested in showing, and with you living in Washington -- either registry or both is good for your horses. The Northwest has very active clubs with both AMHA and AMHR. It's just up to you which registry sanctioned shows you want to focus with..........plus how tall your horses are can be an issue!

I llke both AMHR and AMHA. My stallions are double registered and all but two of my mares are double registered... the two mares who are only AMHR are a B division leopard and an A size mare I hope to hardship into AMHA this year.

You can register a horse w/ AMHR based on their AMHA papers, but there is an additional $200 fee on top of the application fees that would apply to register an otherwise AMHR eligible horse of that age/sex. In order to get AMHA papers on a horse who is only AMHR, the horse must be inspected and a substantial hardship fee paid (I think it is $600 for mares and $1,200 for stallions...).

For showing, I am more familiar with AMHR and that in the past gave the most oportunities to show in my area. For that reason, to date, I haven't been bothered about AMHA papers on my geldings. I own four AMHR only geldings. Three are A size, one (my favorite horse of all), is a 37"+ palomino...

The main thing to know for breeding has already been pointed out and that is the parents of a foal must be in the same registry for the foal to be registered. Also, if you can have both AMHR and AMHA breeding stock, then the foals may be more marketable as you won't exclude yourself from either market (like at this time, I'd be hard pressed to consider an AMHR only mare).

Even if you dont show, if you are breeding it is to your advantage to double register. You may sell a foal to someone who shows both, or one or the other, but all the options are open.

The difference is size limitations, and there are different rules that may apply between one or the other for registration, showing, submitting paperwork, etc....

Both registries are extremely well known and recognized world wide. I personally, enjoy them both!

Oh I know they have to be the same for

breeding, I am not really into the breeding aspect all that much, We just got a new guy yesterday our BIGGEST ever, lol hes a 36 inch so B and registered AMHR And I THINK hes a wee bit over 36 truth be known like closer to 38 GULP> I will be measuring him tonight to make sure, hes only 3 so Im afraid may even grow more,

All my others are registered AMHA they just came that way wasnt a preference, And I just wasnt sure if one was better than the other,

I'd say they have about the same amount of people, neither one is better then the other. I would say most people prefer horses who are double registered AMHA/AMHR. But for the people who like them bigger, they tend to be AMHR people. I personally lean more towards AMHR/ASPC as far as showing ext right now however, i am hoping to get involved with AMHA in the future.

But no, neither is better then the other. I have my person preference at the moment if i had to choose just one to be involved with, AMHR/ASPC without a dought. AMHA is in the future though ...
default_smile.png

I think if the horse was nice, had what i wanted i wouldnt pass it up just because it was only registered w/ one registy to be honest. You can always hardship, im sure most people would be reasonable and bring down the price if you wanted to hardship. Having only one registry on the papers shouldnt stop you from buying as you can easily make that two registered. Of course unless they dont make height but that is a whole different thing.

Make sure, when you measure your horse, do it on concrete if you have any handy and get a level measurement. Also, make sure the horse isnt wearing and extra inch of hoof when you do.

Feet, weight, etc.. can all factor into what your horse measures at. Even one that is nervous and stiffens up- expands all the muscles.... You will notice there is even a difference depending on how the horse holds it's head- up or down, can change the measurement.

I just stand mine 'normally' and use a stick with a level in it. Sometimes their conformation makes them appear differently too. I have seen really refined leggy horses that looked tall, but were only 33". And I've seen the opposite- thinking that a horse would measure in at 32 and whoopsie, they were actually 33.5, but just looked short.

If your horse is within reason of what the papers say, I would not worry about a half inch either way. Just depends on how they were standing and what was going on that day when measured, and who was doing the measuring.

I agree, neither is better than the other- just personal preference. Mine are all double registered but I have seen some B horses that just knocked my socks off. Just depends on the horse.

The big part is, have FUN with them!!
default_yes.gif
:

Back