AMHA vs AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.C. Miniature Horse Farm

Reaction score
Hey! How are ya'll doing? Well you know that I have got bitten by the show bug! Well we are going to try and show two of our mares(ones that we are planning on breeding next year) the first of October at a local AMHA show(just 60 mins away) since they are double registered thought it would be worth a shot right? Well anyways what are the differences if any of showing AMHA,vs. AMHR? Also any tips or suggestions? They are overweight right now,but we have them up in a smaller pasture getting them on an exercise program,however since its such a short time I figure that with a little more grain added,would be better then taking them flat out off of the pasture! Talk to you all soon,and thanks in advance! Sarah of T.C. Miniature Horse Farm

Also what is good liberty music?

Down at Sam's Town I heard a variety.

The one thing I really noticed a difference in AMHA vs AMHR, and people please don't yell when I say this, this is jmo, AMHA halter/driving look better in the ring. Now, don't get me wrong, AMHR has some awsome horses, both in halter and driving. I mostly show and breed AMHR anyways. But when I see an AMHA halter class those horses in the rings look like beautiful horse statues. In driving, they move so pretty. Would love to see AMHA Worlds and see the best horses in the ring.

Ok, time to put my flame suit on lol. Like I said its jmo, and other people will say different I'm sure.

I'm not sure how AMHA halter and driving horses can look much or any better than AMHR. Almost all my show horses are AMHA and AMHR. And, AMHR has tremendously more horses at their Nationals. Go to the Nationals and the Worlds and you will see many of the same horses in the ring.

Personally, I will show at any AMHR or AMHA show that is close enough for me to go to. It happens that there are more AMHR shows close to me than AMHA, but it has nothing to do with my preference or the caliber of my horses.

Additionally, my yearling stallion, Ericas Gone and DunIT, beat in his weanling halter class at the AMHR Nationals the horse that three or so weeks later went on to be Reserve World Champion at the AMHA World Show... So I feel I have dwelling in my back yard "proof" that the quality of horses at AMHR and AMHA shows is very comparable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would definitely be a good idea to go to any local shows you can get to, A or R. Which ever one you go to you will find a large variety of horses and people. I have heard time and time again that one registry is much more inviting and the people are much more friendly. Honestly, whichever one you get to more often, you will feel more comfortable with those people. I personally feel very comfortable at the larger AMHA shows, those are the people that I know, and many of them have helped me along the way. I feel much more out of place at the AMHR shows, where I know fewer people. It would be unfair to just say those people are less friendly,(though in both you will find people who are just that
default_smile.png
)

As far as horses go, they are two very different registries.

I feel that AMHR has a much larger variety of horse types, due to the added height, which adds many more bloodlines and types, and with how easy it is to qualify for nationals. You will see many more horses at the AMHR National show which results in more sporadic placings. I have seen horses take Overall grands at one Registry and then not place at the other, and it works both ways.

AMHA on the other hand has a more limited type, with the reduced height requirements. You can tell more specifically what type of look is preferred. Because of this you will see smaller classes, but in my opinion more consistency in quality.

All of our horses are double registered and we show at both AMHA and AMHR shows. My advice would be to go to either of the type shows you can get to. They are a little different as far as how the horses are set up in the show ring with AMHR accepting a little more strechy set up than what is done in AMHA, but besides that they are about the same. We have shown a lot more at the AMHA shows over the last several years because we are breeding for the smaller horses, but enjoy the people and the classes as well at either type.

A bad day spent with a bunch of horse folks at a horse show, is a lot better than a good day spent elsewhere in our opinion. LOL

Have fun with it and enjoy.

John Cherry

Cherryville Farms :saludando:

Home Of:

Cherryville's Rio De Oro

Wf Patton's See Me Shine

LaVista Farms Rose's First

Silver Plate's Baccara Luxor

Whilsting Pines Apache Prince AKA Whistle Britches

I like AMHR better, because I have more AMHR horses. Also it is easier to qualify for Nationals, however Nationals has lots of horses in the classes and there are different body types, so you never know how you will place. Our smaller horses place better in the AMHA shows than they do in the AMHR shows. Find a show that is an AMHA one day and AMHR another day. These shows are fun and show in both and see what you think. We are always amazed how different our horses place and the same judges are calling it. Welcome to the show world it is fun regardless of which registry to show in.

Hey! How are ya'll doing? Well you know that I have got bitten by the show bug! Well we are going to try and show two of our mares(ones that we are planning on breeding next year) the first of October at a local AMHA show(just 60 mins away) since they are double registered thought it would be worth a shot right? Well anyways what are the differences if any of showing AMHA,vs. AMHR? Also any tips or suggestions? They are overweight right now,but we have them up in a smaller pasture getting them on an exercise program,however since its such a short time I figure that with a little more grain added,would be better then taking them flat out off of the pasture! Talk to you all soon,and thanks in advance! Sarah of T.C. Miniature Horse Farm

HI,

The little one did great in the sams town show down. Congratulations on winning your ribbons.

T.D.

DOUBLE TT MINIS AND TACK

We showed AMHA since 1986 up until a few years ago.... Our horses were double registered. Lee got interested in the shetlands about four years ago so we are now showing AMHR/ASPC......................... If you are not sure & have a show or two (A or R) close by go to them & start from there.................. We made a lot of friends in the A circuit & some of them are now also showing the R/ASPC circuit... The R shows have gotten just as tough as the A shows....................... Andi is right on - friendly & not so friendly people in both A & R.

i have to disagree with so many talking about "type" there is no set type for miniature horses. So how can that apply??

My herd is all double registered but I show amhr only because thats whats available. So that makes my miniatures a different "type" then someone that shows AMHA? IMO it doesnt.

This summer I showed against many "A" trainers. Why?? Because their clients are buying the ASPC/AMHR crosses lol. But when i showed against them in the under division I did not notice a real difference in "type"

For sure smaller under 30" horses will show better in AMHA only because AMHR doesnt have an under 30 class until the horse is 3. So that I absolutely agree with.

I think showing in either is great!! Just go have fun
default_smile.png

I agree, the miniatures do not have a specific type that they are supposed to emulate. But that does not stop there from being different types. For example the more shetlandy type of many winning AMHR horses is not seen as often in the AMHA ring. Even when similarly bred horses enter the AMHA ring they usually more follow the style of the rest of the AMHA horses. Not to offend any one, but as a very generalized statement, I see more attention in AMHA given to a smoother, more full bodied horse with an above average head and neck, while AMHR seems to place more importance on length of leg and neck.

hi andi

I just think if you only compare under division (34 and under) you will find that the same "type" of horse is winning in either registry.

You cant compare the "shetlandy" horses as most (*but not all) are over 34" so a whole different ball of wax. IMO you cant compare any 38" horse with a 31" horse as they just wont look at all the same wether they have shetland breeding or not.

I guess my point is if I took my under divsion horses to an AMHA show I really doubt anyone would point and say "those are amhr horses" I honestly dont think anyone could tell the difference. All of mine were originally amha and I hardshipped them AMHR. Since so many people I know show both and do well in both I just cant see there being a difference
default_smile.png
Ill have to try to go watch an amha show

what are the differences if any of showing AMHA,vs. AMHR?
I think the question was about the differences in show patterns, grooming (maybe) and that sort of thing rather than who likes which better....so.....

There is a different ring pattern for halter in A & R. Watch a few halter classes before yours to see how each registry does it. A checks bites in halter, R doesn't. A likes a horse standing more square where R allows more of a 'parked' stance. In A color classes judging is 20% on conformation. In R, color only.

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now.........have to meet some folks for dinner. I bet there are lots more things others can talk about.

Charlotte

I agree KayKay, anyone would have a hard time telling from the appearance of two under 34" horses if they are shown A or R. But I disagree that the same type is winning at both, maybe more so locally, but at the National level I see a large difference. That is why, even though some say there is no difference in quality between the two registries, horses can go Grand at one nationals and not place at the other, with less than half the horses competing. This is not meant at all to show a preference towards either, just a difference.

We have shown A for 12 years and this is our first year showing R. We have a lot of horses double registered but just never shown R. We now have B sized horses and this year we have attended all R shows. We are going to one A show next weekend and that's it. I really have no preference between the registries other than if I want to show my B horses..then I'm going to choose R of course. I agree with others, I see many more parked out minis at R shows than A. R also never checks the bites but A does.

Latest posts

Back