AMHA Shows...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Im noticing here in Michigan that there is not a AMHA show. With all the bigger minis/shetlands at the AMHR rated shows, placing with the smaller minis seems to be a little difficult. Is there a way to see if a AMHA show could be held in Michigan for all us smaller mini folks to show at and to see if it is a good turn out? Is there a way to ask or have just one held here to see?
default_pray.gif

Mindy

There used to be several AMHA shows in Michigan but turnouts were low so the sponsers could not meet expenses and they disappeared. AMHA does not put on these shows, they are sponsered and organized by clubs or individuals who must be able to pay up front expenses out of pocket and hope to recover the expenses in entry fees.

You will need to find some other people that want the same thing (AMHA show) and get a show committee together to organize a show--think of some fundraiser ideas, collect sponsorships etc. If there isn't enough interest to get one going then you will have to travel to other states that do have AMHA shows.

One thing to remember--many of the AMHR horses you are competing against in the AMHR under division may very well have AMHA papers as well. If you had an AMHA show you could very well find out that you'd be out in the ring with many of the same horses that you're showing against now. AMHA does break down its classes differently according to size, but that depends on the show. When we had AMHA shows here the classes were exactly the same as those offered by AMHR for the under division:

Yearling 32" and under, 2 year old 33" and under, 3 years & older, 34" and under. There were not enough entries to justify breaking down each age group into the various size divisions.

Here we'd have AMHR on Saturday and then AMHA on Sunday--in the AMHA ring were mostly the same horses that had showed AMHR the day before. There'd be a few missing, as not every one of them did have AMHA papers, and there'd be a few new ones that didn't have AMHR papers and came only for the A show.

If your AMHR shows have lots of entries, perhaps you could ask to have the classes divided further, by size? So your senior classes could be 32" to 34" and under 32" or whatever the divisions are. That gives the smaller horses more chance in the regular class, but of course all sizes still compete together in the championships.

Thank you 2 for the helpful information. I am still very new to showing and didnt think about how things worked or operate. It makes LOTS of sence now why their is'nt a "A" show here cause I know how hard the "R" shows are to cover in costs.

I just been told so many times that the judges simply do not like small, and with all my show minis being 26"-32" tall, I just figured I would maybe have a better chance at a "A" show. (That and justify paying out membership fees)

Last edited by a moderator:
We tend to try and find AMHR shows that have the sizes split for the 30" and under horses. There arent a lot of them but they are definitely worth going to. That being said I also take the same horses to the shows that arent split and still do fairly well. If you get your horses conditioned enough and really work at it I am sure you can still place. There are certain judges that still go by the rulebook and go with the smaller horse as long as it is equal in conformation to the larger ones. A lot of people tend to find the judges that like them and then follow them around LOL. I cant keep track of my placings let alone who gave them so that doesnt work for me
default_laugh.png
!

WE started out showing in Michigan & Ohio in the AMHA shows At that time there were NO sancitoned shows of either registry here in Ontario.

Then AMHR shows came into Ontario & we then double registered all of our AMHA horses into AMHR & have shown AMHR since then.

Our little 29" Blue roan stallion Boones Little Buckeroo Charmer has his Hall of Fame in Country Pleasure driving .

As stated in one of the other replies --we showed our small (AMHA) horses in the AMHR shows & did very well with them.

We never had a "B" sized horse until 3 years ag o when we bought some shetland/miniatures & our one stallion Filipowicz Entertaining The Foulks got his Hall Of Fame in Halter at the convention in 2009.

I am a judge -- and yes, I hear this complaint also -- BUT I can tell you when I do place a small horse as a champion I sure do hear about that as well -- so you can only please the ones that are winning on a particular day at any given time -- LOL

It is much easier for the small horses to compete in the broken down sizes -- even our 29" stallion had trouble in a class with a 34" stallion at an AMHA show -- so really don't be discouraged. A good horse is a good horse -- no matter what the szie.

The very first horse shows in Michigan were AMHA. I was the person who started them. I ran them successfully for about 10 years. Then I turned them over to a club to run. Like said above, the attendance was down and the shows died. IMO This was because of reasons other than number of horses.

I would love to see AMHA shows back in MI. Ive been kicking around the idea of starting a new club to compliment the ones already in the state, but geared more toward being an "open" or AMHA club. If you would be interested in joining a club like this, please PM me.

Another option is to contact the AMHR show managers and ask them to split the classes by size.

It would be great to have an AMHA show in MI. I've been dreaming of this for several years! It's between 8-10 hr drive to the closest AMHA shows for me. I sometimes go to watch, but that's a long way to haul a trailer for just a horse or two.

If anyone does decide to do a AMHA/AMHR show in Michigan keep me posted. We would gladly drive over from WI with about 8 horse or so and show. Looking at starting to show alittle bit of AMHA this year also.

Keep me posted!!!!

If anyone does decide to do a AMHA/AMHR show in Michigan keep me posted. We would gladly drive over from WI with about 8 horse or so and show. Looking at starting to show alittle bit of AMHA this year also.
Keep me posted!!!!
Hey Kitty there are 2 AMHR reg shows that I know of held here in Michigan. One is located in Ionia, MI east of Grand Rapids, and the other held in Midland, MI by Saginaw. There might be more (1 in Centerville ?). Not 100% sure But can always find out for ya!

Latest posts

Back