AMHA or AMHR?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatbroke Farms

Reaction score
If you had to choose between two horses that were identical in quality, color, and price but one was AMHA registered and one was AMHR registered... which would you choose and why?

I am trying to get a handle on the registries now that I am looking for a second mini. The fuzzbutt that I have now is AMHA/AMHR registered but some I have been looking at recently have been registered to one or the other. Is one preferred in some areas?

Thanks!

Well you can always hardship for now. I guess whichever was cheaper to hardship into the other registry. I am not sure if it is cheaper to hardship AMHR into AMHA or if AMHA is cheaper to hardship into AMHR. But if worse came to worse and I wasn't gonna hardship at all I guess I would choose AMHR because I show in that divison.

I think it depends on your area and what type of horse you like.

I'd personally pick the AMHR only as there are more AMHR shows in my area and i enjoy the AMHR show ring.

Leeana

My answer would be the AMHR horse. Reason: You have an extra 4 inches to play with.

If you chose to use this horse for breeding, and it should produced foals that grow 1/4 inch over, you lose the papers. I always feel so bad for the beautiful excellent quality horse that goes over 34.

And another reason, I find the driving classes are getting very very popular in AMHR, (at least in our area)

But guess you should consider which horse is popular in your area and also which clubs are available.

Wendy, member of the Miniature Horse Club of Ontario, AMHR sanctioned club

Right now you can hardship an AMHA horse into AMHR for $200 plus the age fee while it is more expensive and they have to be five to hardship into AMHA, so I would pick the AMHA horse and hardship it to R, even though we have mostly R shows in our area I still prefer double registered horses.

I would go for the AMHA. My reason is that in my area AMHA goes for much more then the AMHR do. But if they are AMHA/AMHR that is all the better.

The others offer good points. First you need to think of what is important to you. What are most of the shows in your area? Here there are more AMHR shows, but it depends on where you are located. Also do you plan on breeding this horse in the future and what do you want in your foals if you are? Also if you are possibly going to breed you might want to hardship or consider double registerd horses as it gives you more options when it comes to babies.

Personal preference of mine, AMHR. We have 9 minis. 4 are double registered, 5 are just AMHR.

Me, I'd keep looking until I found one A&R registered because I like both!
default_yes.gif

I made sure years ago that I got all my horses double registered and that's what I look for when I buy too.

That's what I like. Go with what YOU like best
default_aktion033.gif

If the horses were truly equal in my eyes, I would go for the AMHA horse and immediately hardship it into AMHR off the AMHA papers ($200 + application fees).

That said, AMHR is my favorite of the registries, but I do love them both
default_yes.gif

I prefer to buy a horse that is AMHR / AMHA registered already. The AMHA only horses I had have all been hardshipped into AMHR now, as that is the registry I prefer. I do have one AMHR only mare and if I end up keeping her, she will be hardshipped into AMHA.

I think as far as selling a horse goes, it is much easier to sell an AMHR / AMHA registered horse. JMO

The AMHA horse because I like to keep what I can double registered (I do have B's as well) and it would cost $200 to hardship into AMHR verses $600 into AMHA.

That said I doubt there will ever come a time when I run across two horses so identical that it comes down to where they are registered for me to make my decision.

Latest posts

Back