AMHA or AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
If you were only going to become a member of one of the organizations, which would you choose?

IF I could only be a member / participate in one of the registries, it would be AMHR because that's what registry has the most shows in drivable distance to me.

BUT, appart from shows, I appreciate the AMHA Miniature Horse World Magazine much more than the AMHR / ASPC Journal. The AMHA one is quite a bit more informational. So, in that way, I feel AMHA does a better job giving back to the members.

When it comes to buying a horse, I prefer AMHA only over AMHR only, and that is because I know for a couple hundred dollars, I can make an AMHA only horse double registered AMHA / AMHR but it cannot be done the other way around without considerably higher fees and proceedure (of hardship inspection).

If there is any possible way, I would suggest that you join both.

They each have their own unique perspective and membership.

That along with the publications of both make a pretty well

rounded exposure to the mini horse world. Otherwise, I would

go with the one with the most shows in your area. (If you are

going to show.)

I have primarily AMHR horses, but I joined both. My stallion is registered both, but is young and may outgrow his AMHA papers, only time will tell.

I really like the AMHA World magazine, it's so informative.

I am a member of both, and my horses are all double registered, with the exception of a "keeper" gelding. However, if I had to chose one, I am AMHA all the way.

BUT, appart from shows, I appreciate the AMHA Miniature Horse World Magazine much more than the AMHR / ASPC Journal. The AMHA one is quite a bit more informational. So, in that way, I feel AMHA does a better job giving back to the members.
The amount of information that can be published in the Journal is directly related to the amount of advertising. The more advertising - the more articles and information. If the membership wants more information pieces they need to do more advertising - it is as simple as that.

This family belongs to both AMHA and AMHR. From our experience both have room for improvement in customer service. Both have advantages such as AMHA magaizine is all about Miniatures and they have had excellent articles. The Journal is disappointing because it is a lot about Shetlands and it really lacks for good helpful information. Advantage to AMHR is it has been a little less pricey for the member, but there are shows in the area. Prices of AMHR horses do run less in price which is an advantage for many. I would really like to have just one registry to be in but at this point for us we would find it very difficult to choose just one. [ might have to toss a coin if it came down to it]Mary

Ditto MarsMinis. If you can only do one and you plan to show do the one with shows in your area. If you can be members of both then go for it! Each has unique offerings which you might find to be worth it to you.

We have been members of both from the git go and have shown extensively in both and all horses are registered in both....Oops, except one I had better get to work on!

If you ever plan to sell, then definitely get into both! It doesn't make business sense to ignore 1/2 of your market!

Charlotte

I am a member of both and I have shown in both. I have more AMHR horses so I show more AMHR. I like the bigger horses for driving. However both organizations have their good and bad. I think we all need to just enjoy our horses, show them if we want in the organization we like the most and where our friends are. I know that lots of people are concerned about the marketing issues of the miniatures right now. If you cannot sell your babies as babies let them turn two and brake them to drive. I have had good luck with selling the minis that can actually do something. I just love the miniature horse regardless of what registration they are.

I show Shetlands as well so i enjoy AMHR the most. I am a member of AMHA as well but primarily for the MHW magizine, its the only reason i get the membership actually.

At most AMHR shows they have ASPC and Show Pony as well and i like the ponies as well. Also i love the AMHR people that i met these past few years.

See my problem is i like the tiny ones ...the bigger B's and the shetlands! Cant i just have them all? ....well through the AMHR curcuit i can If i had to pick i'd have to say AMHR but i'd really like to try some AMHA as well, i stick to AMHR and ASPC for many reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
All my breeding stock/show stock are both. If I had to choose just one to be a member of it would have to be AMHA only because we don't have any R shows in our area. We have to go out of state to show. We only have 1 AMHA show too so that doesn't even really count does it? :no:

When we move to Texas!!!!!!!, then I could take my pick!

I would suggest you join both, we are members of both and enjoy both for different reasons as far as the shows and activities. After you have expereinced both in your area, then you can make a logical choice depending on your personal circumstances.

Good Luck, glad ot see you wanting to get involved with these wonderful creatures.

:saludando:

I am a member of both- it not only comes down to showing, but usually members also get discount rates at registering and other things.. and it is also nice to get the breed magazines to keep up with what is what.

When we started in 1986 - AMHA. If we had to choose today - AMHR

AMHR only here, mine are all "B" sized, but I used to be a member of both.

Latest posts

Back