AMHA hardship available again

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thrilled. Over my 28 years in having minis I have hardshipped in two stallions and at least 6 mares and might use it again! I have hoped and hoped they would open it back up!

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the hardship work? My mini's papers have long been lost and I would consider registering him. I just went to the AMHA site but for some reason, I could find no updated info on registrations. He is a 34 inch, 12 YO gelding, would he be eligible?

The change has only just now been voted on and passed so it will be a little while before they actually start accepting hardship registrations again. I have not heard the effective date. A 12 year old gelding that measures 34" or less should be eligible. I do not remember the cost for a gelding?

Unless they had changed it in recent years, it was $500 for a gelding way back. I am not sure if they ever lowered it for geldings.

I've read that they won't start hardshipping til 2017. I've also read geldings are $200, mares $600 and stallions $1200 and you probably have to DNA the mares and stallions like you used to do. I think the proposal itself is in the 2015 World mag December issue. This is a very good thing and hopefully bring back revenue for AMHA, I know I have 2 geldings I would like to hardship.

That is great if geldings are $200!
default_smile.png
And yes I have also heard 2017.

As published in the rule book flow chart, any rule change voted on at the annual meeting would take effect the following year. The rule book for 2016, the current year has been published and distributed.

This change results in the AMHA miniature horse going from a breed to a height. That was the point of closing the books, to make the horses a breed. BUT, the members prefer that the minis will be a height, so it shall be.

I am neutral, but stand to profit as I am a former director and a certified measure so will be able to inspect horses and certify them for hardship registration.

Never adverse to a little income. Before anyone objects, when you want a horse inspected (not at a show) you are asking for my time and sometimes travel and that isn't free. My time like anyone else's has value. I actually had someone bring a horse to where I worked and had me inspect and measure in the parking lot. Took time from my work day. To top it off, she objected to my measurement and said, oh, he needs his hooves trimmed, just reduce it for that. Nope, he measured what he measured unless she wanted to get him trimmed and come back. Funny, she didn't want to do that and I am talking I got a measurement of 32 1/4 and she was insisting he was 32.

He was registered as 32 1/4.

The only horses we can eliminate are obvious dwarves, quality means nothing. Just sayin.

That is interesting, Jody. I did have inspectors also check bites and testicles and legs. But maybe it was not required, they just chose to do it. Anyway I always appreciate your input. Thank you.
default_smile.png

Oh, absolutely testicles, bites, but legs have to be really bad. Trust me, I took very accurate pictures to send in. But what we weren't able to do is judge quality and boy, some got in that had no business contributing to the gene pool!

Thanks for the answers, I would like to register mine if I could. I wish that for whatever the reason, he did not loose his "identity" at some point along the way. Even though he is now a gelding, it would be interesting to know his breeding. To me anyway.

So glad to see that they brought this back for so many reasons, thje main one being that the gene pool is still too shallow to be called a "breed" and (in my opinion) it benefits the organization as a whole if the gene pool gets deeper. And for the life of me I could not understand why they chose to close it in the first place, thus depriving the organization of many thousands of dollars every year in hardship fees, at a time when the organization was struggling so bad financially. So - in my opinion - they made the right decision. Kudos to the board!

It was not the board but the membership present at the meeting who brought it back.

Revenue from hardships averaged around $80,000/year.

What happened with the Measurement proposal? The one about measuring at the base of the withers?

... I am neutral, but stand to profit as I am a former director and a certified measure so will be able to inspect horses and certify them for hardship registration.

Never adverse to a little income. Before anyone objects, when you want a horse inspected (not at a show) you are asking for my time and sometimes travel and that isn't free. My time like anyone else's has value. I actually had someone bring a horse to where I worked and had me inspect and measure in the parking lot. Took time from my work day. To top it off, she objected to my measurement and said, oh, he needs his hooves trimmed, just reduce it for that. Nope, he measured what he measured unless she wanted to get him trimmed and come back. Funny, she didn't want to do that and I am talking I got a measurement of 32 1/4 and she was insisting he was 32.

He was registered as 32 1/4.

The only horses we can eliminate are obvious dwarves, quality means nothing. Just sayin.
Just curious... Can you tell me a ballpark figure what it would cost to have a certified person measure/inspect on-site? [i wouldn't be too keen on the idea of meeting up in a parking lot somewhere; rather, what would it cost to have someone come on-site and do the deed?] I had thought of registering ours the last time it was available and never followed up. I don't really give a rats-butt whether ours are registered, but I'm getting old and Baby is probably going to outlive me so if I could make her more valuable/appealing by registering her, that might be a good idea.
I thought 32-inches was the maximum height?

What does the DNA test do for you? [i think Nicky is an Orion Light Vant Huttenest grandson. But they didn't have DNA testing back then? ...so probably couldn't prove lineage???]

Edited-to-Add: If I had an expert on-site that told me my horses were not up to snuff and shouldn't be registered due to conformation issues, I would listen to their opinion and not register.

I've inspected horses brought to me, and at people's homes and horse shows.

If the inspector has to travel, they should get the going rate for mileage. Can't remember what the inspection fee was, maybe $50. Some could charge that per horse but I felt it wouldn't be right so had decided it would be a one time fee. Each inspection takes at least an hour or two of the inspector's time when you add it all up. There is the actual inspection, filling out paperwork, taking and printing pictures, and mailing it all in.

The height limit in AMHA is 34" at the base of the mane.

It looks like this will be taking affect this year!

Looks like they must be AMHR papered, not open to just everybody like in the past?

Latest posts

Back