AMHA E-Newsletter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimini

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Usually I don't post here each time we send out an e-newsletter but I am going to this time because it has a bunch of important information in it!

If you don't get the AMHA E-Newsletter, you can read this issue online. I hope you will decide to subscribe to the e-news too - you can do so by just typing in your email address in the subscription box on the bottom of the page at www.amha.org.

This e-newsletter included information on the following -

* World Show Premium Book Online

* World Show Hardship Qualifications

* World Show Special for Youth Classes

* Championship Show Close of Entries Extension

* Amnesty Program for Temp to Perm Transactions

* Horse Sale at the World Show

And much more!

Hi everyone!
Usually I don't post here each time we send out an e-newsletter but I am going to this time because it has a bunch of important information in it!

If you don't get the AMHA E-Newsletter, you can read this issue online. I hope you will decide to subscribe to the e-news too - you can do so by just typing in your email address in the subscription box on the bottom of the page at www.amha.org.

This e-newsletter included information on the following -

* World Show Premium Book Online

* World Show Hardship Qualifications

* World Show Special for Youth Classes

* Championship Show Close of Entries Extension

* Amnesty Program for Temp to Perm Transactions

* Horse Sale at the World Show

And much more!

Sorry! That link didn't work...try this -

http://www.readyshare.com/Users/[email protected]_12227_PM.htm

Wow--a reprieve on the revoked fees! I know there was a topic about that on here not too long ago, and while I hate to admit it I know it'll save me a little money too.

I, too, am glad to see the no late fees for taking those past due horses permanent.
default_smile.png
Too bad that wasn't changed a couple of months ago, as I purchased a little mare late this spring with revoked papers and I paid full price to get her papers up to date. However, it is worth it in the long run to have the correct papers on the mare.
default_wink.png

I see that is a great deal for the youth! Buy 5 classes get one free. I cant wait to see how the new sale works out too. I will miss the big event on weds, we always had so much fun.

Alison,
Can you please tell me when the decision was made to eliminate late fees for revoked horses and who made the decision? I will do some research, but I believe this decision violates 2 or 3 bylaws.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against eliminating late fees and helping with the expense members have to pay for registrations as long as the rules are followed.

Please give your answer on this post so that all members will have the opportunity to know exactly how the decision to eliminate late fees was made.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi there Diane -

This was voted on by the Board at the June 2009 Meeting. The minutes are not yet approved but should be shortly and will be posted to the AMHA website for everyone to read. In order to create this discount program without violating the bylaws, it was determined that a coupon would need to be in place for this offer. If you visit www.amha.org, you can download that coupon and send it in with your transaction. Any transactions that we receive without the coupon will be contacted to fill the coupon out so they can benefit from this program as well.

I hope this answers any questions you may have had on the issue. You are certainly welcome to contact any of the AMHA Board of Directors as well if you have further concerns or questions. I'll happily provide any information that I have here as well if you have further questions.

Alison,

Thank you for your quick response to my question. The Board of Directors will be contacted.

I am a member of C.A.R.E and as I expressed concern earlier regarding the decision to eliminate late fees for revoked horses and whether such an action on the part of the Directors violated the AMHA bylaws, we have researched this concern and found our concerns to be valid.

It is surprising that the Board would repeat the action of passing a standing rule at the Annual Meeting that was in conflict with the bylaws and they later had to rescind. Again they have passed a motion that is in direct violation of three bylaws and Roberts Rules of Order.

AMHA Bylaw Article XVIII - Parliamentary Authority.

States: "The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the association in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the Articles of Incorporation, these Bylaws, and any special rules of order the Association may adopt."

This bylaw has been violated as Roberts Rules of order states:

Art.111. VOTE

Rule 47 Votes that are Null and Void even if Unanimous.

No motion is in order that conflicts with the laws of the nation, or state, or with the assembly's constitution and bylaws, and if such motion is adopted, even by a unanimous vote, it is null and void.

AMHA Bylaws Article V, Section 3 (A) Powers of the Board of Directors, has been violated as it eliminates the Board from the setting of registration fees. Only the membership will set registration fees.

Article XV11 - Fees

The Board of Directors shall determine the fees and charges for all items not expressly stated in the Bylaws. ( Since Article V, Section 3, (A) eliminates the Board from setting registration fees, this bylaw has been violated.

As far as a coupon that the Board voted to accept to eliminate late fees for registering horses that have revoked papers, where in the rule book can this be found? Also where in the rule book is it mentioned about late fees for revoked papers?

Page 146 of the AMHA rule book states:

"NOTE- If a horse's papers are revoked for not being brought permanent within six (6) months of eligibility, the fee for reinstatement will be: Stallions $110, Mares $60, Geldings $20.

This is not a late fee, it is a fee that the membership voted to approve for the fee for reinstatement of horses with revoked papers.

Only the membership has the power to change this fee in anyway according to the three bylaws mentioned above.

Again thank you for your help and the Board of Directors will be contacted and asked for an explanation of their action concerning coupons to eliminate late fees.

Diane Wolcott, posting as a member of C.A.R.E.

Last edited:
I for one am really happy that AMHA decided to take this step. It was something I begged for for years. I do think it will be a huge help in bringing people back and getting horses updated and increasing revenue. Unfortunately for me its too late as I sold all my AMHA horses but I am still glad they finally did it.

I have always looked at it as a "late fee" because the fee is so much higher then the normal fee.

I for one am really happy that AMHA decided to take this step. It was something I begged for for years. I do think it will be a huge help in bringing people back and getting horses updated and increasing revenue. Unfortunately for me its too late as I sold all my AMHA horses but I am still glad they finally did it.
I have always looked at it as a "late fee" because the fee is so much higher then the normal fee.
default_no.gif
Kay, it's not that the idea in itself is "bad", it's the way it was not sent through the proper channels (ie.FLOW CHART) that makes it bad. All these wonderful ideas AMHA comes up with that get pushed through quickly that go against the rules of the association, is what is giving them a bad name! I just cannot for the life of me, understand why the rules are set if they are not going to be followed.
default_frusty.gif

And perhaps, more people have actually followed your lead, and quit AMHA. The lack of response here should show the "powers that be" at AMHA, that they should be VERY concerned for the lack of following they now seem to have.
Registries as a whole are losing members right now and for the most part it's not due to poor management (after all, as evidenced by this thread even when you try to do something good you can never make everyone happy), it's because the current economy has removed many people's ability to afford luxuries like horses. I don't want to be confrontational, but I am very supportive of AMHA and your last statement seems like a poorly founded correlation. There's an AMHR thread at the top of the forum that's been there since 7/4 with only seven responses, but you didn't post on there that they should be concerned about their lack of following. That thread's also only had half the views, but I suspect the hike in views on this thread are due to the topic getting heated. It's been said before, but this forum represents a very small percentage of either registry's total membership, and generally the people that come here come here to talk horses--not politics--so I find using this forum as a barometer for registry issues questionable. I'm fine with your organization questioning the actions of AMHA, but I wish you could put a positive slant on your efforts.

Who, besides CARE and it's members, has decided that AMHA is getting a bad name? By the looks of this thread alone, there are several, in fact, the majority on this thread, that are in support of what AMHA is doing. It seems loike every little thing AMHA has done lately has upset CARE. If it is that much of an issue, perhaps the best thing to do for those that are continuously dissatisfied with what AMHA is doing and how they are doing it, is to leave AMHA and start their own club. I am sure no one would object to another avenue to promote and enjoy their miniatures. Or you could always go to the meetings, in person, until you are successful in your attempt to instate mail in voting.

It's been said before, but this forum represents a very small percentage of either registry's total membership, and generally the people that come here come here to talk horses--not politics--so I find using this forum as a barometer for registry issues questionable
[SIZE=10pt]I couldn't agree more! I don't care about CARE and it's attacks on AMHA. If the CARE members are so concerned........why don't they post the names of ALL of their members? This is a public forum about horses, not politics or bashing a registry.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to also state my approval for the actions taken. Not only because I will save $25 but because I think it is a good step in mending old relationships. There are so many that state the fees are too high, this is a way to get the horses reinstated for a reasonable cost. I think the board members are doing what they can to help the registry and I don't see this as a controverial matter.

I also don't see this forum as the majority of AMHA. I personally support them whole heartedly. I have mainly A registered horses and only join R when totally necessary. I have more A shows at my disposal here and feel that their promotion of the smaller is more conforming to my beliefs.

I think all this picking apart only slows the process down. Now if it is a motion you feel is bad for the association as a whole then it deserves the criticism.

Just my 2 cents.....

The lack of response here should show the "powers that be" at AMHA, that they should be VERY concerned for the lack of following they now seem to have.
Or maybe, just maybe, people like myself haven't responded to this thread because it really doesn't affect them? All of my horses are current. No need to respond. I am happy for others that can take their whoopsies current at a reduced fee.. Whoopsies do happen.

And by the way, I have actually added (imagine that) 4 new AMHA horses lately.

I also agree with another poster, and I have stated before.....those few that have the major problem with every breath that AMHA takes....why don't one or two of you run for an Office? Why sit in the background waiting to pounce? Then you'd be right on top of things making sure no one made a move without your knowledge.

Sue
default_smile.png

At least you AMHA members can still talk and state your views. Us AMHR people can't we've been gagged
default_rolleyes.gif
and when we say anything on the Forum we get taken off.

Diane, thank you very much for posting the rules that are in question here. It makes it very clear that what was decided was against our existing rules and bylaws. I appreciate the time and diligence that C.A.R.E. puts into investigating these issues. I don't know if any of the C.A.R.E. members are on the Bylaws or Rules and Regs committees, but I do wish it were so if not. It does take time to really understand each proposal and how the existing rules are impacted in each of many areas. I also know that it is frustrating when a proposal is made that seems very positive and we can't implement it right away. I felt the same way when the proposal came down to allow hardshipping at age 3 and to reduce the fees for geldings to $200. I was all kinds of ready to start writing checks and filling out forms. But I understood that the checkbook would have to stay in my purse for a while when it became evident that the rule could not be in effect until next January. Oh well, them's the rules!

I think the problem that C.A.R.E. runs into on this forum is that in an attempt to be very thorough and hold organization officials to a high standard of conduct, the tone sometimes runs to a bit condescending or "school-marmish." Is that a word?
default_whistling.gif
Hope you understand what I mean. I also think that when someone posts under the C.A.R.E. banner, the very first post should include the rule(s) or bylaw(s) that have been broken and how. It is very educational for the majority of us who haven't taken the time to delve into the details. I also think that any rhetoric that AMHA's membership is becoming dissatisfied and are turning away from the registry in droves should not be included in any of these posts. All that does is dilute the message and inflame the loyal membership. It does feel like an attack. Let's hear the facts, and just the facts.

Thank you again for being the watchdogs for the membership. I know your motives are sound. And I do believe the questions you have raised do need to be answered. These issues do seem to come up time and time again.

I was just kind of being silly. It just seems that some get so upset if others don't agree with them. I like people to disagree with me and say what they think so I can learn something.

Well while I see it is technically against the rules I am seeing how a coupon is not offically changing the prices but allowing others to get in on the bargin-

Is there anything in the rules about use of a coupon? I would guess not seeing as it is a pretty new concept for a registry?

If no rule about the coupon I guess it is not really breaking the rules but skirting around them
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back