AMHA Current Issues - some thoughts to consider

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does everyone that wants paper ballots or online voting understand that the voting process would have to start at least two to three months before the actual meeting. They have to have time to put together everything that will have to be voted on, not just one or two issues but everything, then put all of that into 12,000 envelopes and mail those, (then no more AMHA, they survived one almost bankruptcy, I don't think they can do it again) think of the cost not only of postage but of materials and labor to do that. And this would have to start at least three months prior to the meeting which would be in mid November, of course putting all of the ballots together would have to start alot sooner, about the time World Show entries are coming in, then you have stallion reports, futurity nominations, current year foals and all of those transfers for showing the next year. Then all of those ballots have to be mailed back and someone has to take time to open every one and count each vote individually. First since memberships are paid on an anniversary date instead of the same time for everyone, how do you know that a ballot you mailed two months ago is going to be sent back by someone who paid their dues and are a member in good standing?

Then with online voting, the same process. It would have to start earlier because not only would everyone have to have plenty of time to vote, but the office would then have to take each person that voted and double check to make sure they are a member in good standing and tally all of those votes individually.

Now while all of these people have cast their votes, they all start talking about how they voted on a message board and realize maybe what they voted for wasn't like it truly sounded, might not be what is truly good for AMHA, but its to late to change your mind because you voted a month ago. So you get to the annual meeting and the people that do attend vote for each issue but now we have to stop at each one and add those votes to what was already mailed or emailed in, we are pressed for time as it is, but this would add more time just waiting to see what the vote was.

I am not against every member having their voice, but I just don't think what has been brought up so far is going to work.

As for voting for you public officials, you have all day long to go vote in an area close to you, its not the same since AMHA can't put voting booths in every region for people to go to in their own time and vote on.

Mona, If you believe what you are doing is right then don't let anything stop you...nobody is saying you shouldn't try and be a part of things. Some of us have just pointed out that as far as a democracy we don't get to vote on everything...there were some saying that we did. We do have our Senators, congressmen etc that we vote in to represent us and we do have to keep in touch with them to know what is going on and let them know what our concerns are. They represent us same as our district mini reps. do. Nice thing about our freedoms is we should be able to speak up about our concerns. If you feel what you are doing is right then go for it and I am sure you will have reps. behind you. JMHO Mary

But, think about what we can vote for as Americans, surely not any laws, mostly candidates for office who do vote for laws, and bond issues for schools and mental health, and the very rare consistutional ammendment.
Jody, are you basically saying then, that it would be a total and complete waste of anyone's time and effort to even attempt to get this mail in and/or online voting? It sounds like no matter what, it is the BOD's opinion that bylaws changes to allow absentee voting won't be accepted by the committee that it would be addressed to to have it considered for a bylaw change?? That they feel it is not something that should be given to the general membership?? I am serious, as I would truely like to know, because if this is the way it is viewed, then there really is no sense in continueing with the efforts to try to have changes made, even going through the proper steps. We are currently working on it, but now wonder why, if it is felt it would not be accepted anyway??

As far as voting booths go - why not have a "voting meeting" at each local club, all of those votes could then be sent to the corresponding regional Directors where a group could tally the votes for their own regions and then the regional Directors could then take the final tally for their region to the Annual Meeting.

Nikki

I just have question for you Mona, or anyone else who could anwser.

What horse registries actually vote like the way you and many others would like to change to. I just want to look into the way they do things. Or is this something you would like to change and its your own way??? Just curious as I would like to look into the ones that do vote on all issues either internet or paper. See the good the bad and the ugly.

I just have question for you Mona, or anyone else who could anwser.

What horse registries actually vote like the way you and many others would like to change to. I just want to look into the way they do things. Or is this something you would like to change and its your own way??? Just curious as I would like to look into the ones that do vote on all issues either internet or paper. See the good the bad and the ugly.
I have no idea if ANY horse registries vote like this, as I am not, nor have I ever been a member of any other horse registry. BUT what difference does that make? They have said we have always been a "unique" breed, so in keeping with that tradiotion, let's become unique.
default_yes.gif

Actually, my thoughts on all member voting come from my years of raising and showing dogs before I got into horses. The Canadian Kennel Club sent out ballots. It was sent in a package with material outlining the proposed changes and/or additions, and had a yes and no box you put your check mark inside whichever one you voted for. You could also leave it blank if you had no opinion on that specific item. Every member got this in the mail, filled it in (at least I did) and returned it in a SASE that I believe was sent to an independant company that tallied the votes.

These ballots(if we did them like this) would not need to all be opened and counted at the meeting, it would be done ahead of time and the tallies would/could be announced at the meeting.

It does make a difference to me I gave you the reason below it. To see if it worked for others in the equine registries.

I for one would like to be able to vote for the issues brought up. I think that a secure online voting would be a great thing. There are several different places online that you can set up secure online voting. I would like to be able to vote for what I think is for the good of the organization. I have been reading and reading everything about the voting process that is currently set up. I took a few minutes today to look at different web sites that are set up for voting. No it is not cheap to set up online voting, but I think that if everyone had a vote then there may be a little less arguing. Everyone could cast thier vote and have a say on what they feel is best for the future of our organizations. We may not all agree, but this way if you don't vote on the issue you should not complain about it.

Here is one place that you can set up voting. http://votingplace.net/

Mark

But, think about what we can vote for as Americans, surely not any laws, mostly candidates for office who do vote for laws, and bond issues for schools and mental health, and the very rare consistutional ammendment.
Jody,

You bring up a good point. But I see this as being very different from the Government. AMHA (and AMHR ) are associations that we choose to join. When we make the choice to join, we also pay for the privilege of being a member. And more importantly, the association already provides members the right to vote.

It's really not a question about the right to vote... or about representation. The thing is that although members have the right to vote...... the vast majority cannot exercise their voting rights (because they cannot leave home.)

The current system has been working in the past. It's just that given the current environment perhaps it is time to make a change. I am hopeful that Together we might be able to come up with a method that will work, and allow more members the opportunity to participate.

-Becky

Last edited by a moderator:
And, getting back on topic…..
default_smile.png

I just want to say again…. I really appreciate to AMHA ( and AMHR ) . I am very pleased to be a member of both……. And I have Always had positive experiences with both associations!!!

Thank you, Ronnie, for your excellent post. After twenty-five years of pretty intense participation on my part, I just about burned out and have laid low, relatively speaking, the past two years. The first year that I was president of AMHA and had a "Presidential Cruise" to honor all the former presidents, and none showed up, I didn't understand why, but after my third year, I understood fully.
default_no.gif

It does make a difference to me I gave you the reason below it. To see if it worked for others in the equine registries.
My comment on "what difference does it makes" was a "tongue in cheek" response to a statement made earlier as a reason for allowing something "different" in our breed...because it was "unique", so my comment regarding that particular thing was not serious. Guess I should have used the wink icon rather than the nodding smilie. :DOH!

BeckyG said it very well.... We all do have the right to vote..

Now we need to find an acceptable way so we all can vote..
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

After reading this post start to finish, I thought about all the comments and thought I might throw in a couple of my feelings. Of course feelings are just that feelings/opinions and nothing more.
default_laugh.png

The overiding feeling I have is one that I think is felt by a lot of members of both organizations and that is one of wanting to do the right thing for the organization as a whole, without serving any one group or personal agenda.
default_yes.gif

With that said many times I along with a lot of other members come up with brilliant ideas that we think could fix certain elements of specific problems such as oversized horses, hardship rules, cheating etc. etc.
default_biggrin.png

Unfortunately, without far sighted and in-depth information of the actual impact that some of those changes might make on the financial, participation and actual implementation of those ideas we fail to see the big picture. Also many times not understanding of the nuances of the rules and by-laws of the respective organizations limit what can be done also. :DOH!

Additionally, because of not having all the input that the board of directors and officers of both organizations are privy to personally. I can't make rational and complete decisions on many issues. I realize that and hope that others can come to terms with that fact also.
default_sad.png

Therefore I personally believe that while I DO believe that some changes are needed on different levels, our BOD/Officers of both AMHR and AMHA are doing as good a job as they can under the circumstances they are facing in the real world so to speak. I can only imagine the burn out/frustration that Tony, Ronnie and many others that have attempted to WORK for the organizations must feel when they go about trying to run our organizations and then have folks that are not completely informed tell them how incompetant they are. Not fair in my opinion and also down right ungrateful.
default_wacko.png

Do I believe that everything is just fine and dandy, no I don't as I am sure many of you folks reading this feel. But even with that said I hope we can all realize how difficult it is to make the decisions they are forced to make each and every day.
default_unsure.png

Rome nor these organizations were built in a day and sometimes change for whatever it is worth is slow to manifest itself. But if we make suggestions to the committee members and board members thru the established channels that are in place thru the by-laws and rules of the respective organizations it will eventually happen in my opinion. In the mean time I am going to constantly say thanks to the people that are giving of thier personal time, money and effort to serve each respective organization. I may disagree with them on many issues, but can still be respectful and trust in the process within the respective organizations to get things right over the long run.
default_smile.png

So in closing THANKS TO ALL YOU BOD, OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE PEOPLE THAT ARE OUT THERE WORKING FOR US, PLEASE CONTINUE TO STRIVE TO MAKE THINGS THE BEST YOU CAN. Realize that are many of us that appreciate what you do for our organizations/registries.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif

"Additionally, because of not having all the input that the board of directors and officers of both organizations are privy to personally. I can't make rational and complete decisions on many issues. I realize that and hope that others can come to terms with that fact also. "

It took me a little time, some time back to see this but I do accept it now. I too, do not like everyting that happens but then since I can't step up to the plate and be at meetings then I have to trust those who are doing the job to do their best. I think AMHA has made extra efforts to help inform the members and I do appreciate that.
default_yes.gif
Mary

I am looking into this for AMHR but does AMHA have anything in the minutes that shows how a director voted? Or if they brought up points people in there area might have expressed?

Thank you, Ronnie, for your excellent post. After twenty-five years of pretty intense participation on my part, I just about burned out and have laid low, relatively speaking, the past two years. The first year that I was president of AMHA and had a "Presidential Cruise" to honor all the former presidents, and none showed up, I didn't understand why, but after my third year, I understood fully.
default_no.gif
LOL!!

I remember the “Presidential Cruse”. I was there and thoroughly enjoyed it….but I think the folks at the Florida sale had better luck getting past presidents together, there was at least two at that event. Maybe next time you should pay them to come….Sorry, just couldn’t help getting a good-natured shot in at an old ( :DOH! I mean Ole) friend.

Ronnie

Latest posts

Back