AMHA colours

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raine

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed on the AMHA stud book colour page there is no Perlino!! no Smokey Black!! and no Smokey Cream !! Why is this...dont no how many other colours may be missing but surely an updated version should be done...

My Stallion has been Dna tested Perlino but he has to go in as a Cremelo his 2009 filly is a Smokey Black and she has to go in under Black and his 2009 colt is a Smokey Cream Dna tested but has to go in as a Cremelo

There is after all a lot of differance between a solid Black horse and a Smokey Black horse in the area of what genes they carry...and what they can and cant produce

In the AMHR he is registered as he should be a Perlino....

Anyone else noticed this.???

This has been a long standing problem........and until recently it was also a problem with AMHR.

I too have a PERLINO mare who is listed as Cremello with AMHA. And sadly because she was "hardshipped" into AMHR by using her AMHA papers, her color is wrong with both registries.
default_sad.png

I'm told the problem lies in the computer system and the lack of enough prefixes in the Online Studbook. They will register many colors correctly on their papers, but not have a prefix for it in the computer. I have personally registered a Perlino colt with AMHA whose papers show him to be a Perlino. The computer shows him to be Cremello. Also a filly registered Silver Bay on her certificate and listed as Bay on the computer.

OK, I have said this before and I shall say it again.

It is illegal for a registry to require it's members to commit fraud (which is exactly what this is) by putting a colour they know (that is the key word here) to be incorrect, on the papers.

If the correct colour is going on the papers and the incorrect one showing up on the SOL, well, that is a nuisance and, with all the money that has been spent on the computer system, should have been fixed long ago, but it is not fraud.

I have found also, with the AMHA, if you accept what they tell you it just gets left.

If you kick up about it (I have sent papers back two or three times) they sort it out.

If I knew a horse to be Smoky Black, that is what I would want on it's papers, and I do agree that it is very important when you are selecting an animal as a potential breeding animal.

I agree with Rabbits in this.... my understanding is that they dont 'recognize' silver any more either? In a world of horses where so MANY have already been misregistered under wrong colors over the years, I would think this would be something on someone's agenda there to fix and have the CORRECT color of the horse listed. It is no help to breeders now or in the future to have horses misregistered under a color they are NOT. Perhaps it is just a pet peeve of mine, but I think that accuracy needs to be in order when registering horses correctly!!!!!

Latest posts

Back