AMHA Changed their Color Policy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mona, check my post on the previous page, I suggest using 'Z', which is the genetic symbol they use for Silver.

Mona, check my post on the previous page, I suggest using 'Z', which is the genetic symbol they use for Silver.
Hey yeah, that would be a good idea too!!
default_yes.gif
:

default_yes.gif
:
Only one thing that I see that you have left out. What if it is a PINTO Silver Bay? The genetics code only allows three leters. Perhaps they should consider four letter abreviations????

Please don't use four letter words in response, I'm just trying to think of solutions.
default_shutup.gif
:

default_yes.gif
:
Only one thing that I see that you have left out. What if it is a PINTO Silver Bay? The genetics code only allows three leters. Perhaps they should consider four letter abreviations????

Please don't use four letter words in response, I'm just trying to think of solutions.
default_shutup.gif
:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OH NO!!! :bgrin

Yeah, adding pinto, appaloosa, or pintaloosa puts a squeeze on a three letter abbreviation! Its hard enough to get all the 'colors' described in three letters, and then to add the white pattern designation too, makes it really tough. But, we would have the same problem with the current 'D' designation for Dapple... what is the current abbreviation for a pinto dapple bay or a pinto dapple buckskin, or is there one?

A question: Will we be able to go to a longer abbreviation for the colors in the new computer system? Will it have to stay at three letters, or can the new system use more letter, or possibly actually be able to give the entire name of the color?

If the new system can use full descriptions or a longer abbreviations, then it can be easily fixed when the new system comes on board. But, if we have to stay with three letters, someone will have to get creative. I don't see any way, sticking with three letters, to make the abbreviation 'understandable' as an abbreviation. We would have to just make it a 'code', that may not look anything like the actual color. Right now, you can kind of 'read' the abbreviations, as they have tried to use the spelling of the color in the abbreviation. But, if we have to add more info, then we may have to have a index where we can look up what the code means.

Mostly based on Tony's list, here's some examples for silver pinto colors, some may be understandable, but others not:

PZD = Silver Dapple Pinto

PZB = Silver Bay Pinto

PZR = Silver Brown Pinto

PZK = Silver Dapple Buckskin Pinto

PZH = Silver Dapple Champagne Pinto

PZC = Silver Dapple Chestnut Pinto

PZN = Silver Dapple Dun Pinto

PZG = Silver Dapple Grey Pinto

PZO = Silver Dapple Palomino Pinto

PZZ = Silver Dapple Silver Pinto (this choice should probably be removed, not logical)

PZR = Silver Dapple Roan Pinto

The trouble is though, that as we identify more and more of our horses color genetics, we might even start to run out of 'codes' that we can use for colors. There's long list of genetic colors that can be in one horse. How on earth do you reduce a pintaloosa silver buckskin dun champagne roan, horse to a three letter abbreviation? And, what about if that horse is going to turn gray, then what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back