AMHA Changed their Color Policy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with everyone else. This is a step in the wrong direction. Silver Bays carry the points gene and chestnuts do not. If my only options were chestnut or bay, I would choose to register a silver bay as "Bay".

I agree with everyone else. This is a step in the wrong direction. Silver Bays carry the points gene and chestnuts do not. If my only options were chestnut or bay, I would choose to register a silver bay as "Bay".
Actually Karin, chestnuts CAN carry the "points gene" which is called agouti. The difference is that chestnuts don't have a black gene, and bays do. That is why I chose to register my filly as a bay.

When I first read this I wondered if it didn't have something to do with the new computer program. I am curious how they are handling the horses already listed as silver bay.

When I wrote earlier this morning after reading this post, I addressed my email to the following:

Pam Pruitt - Registration Supervisor - [email protected]

Marsha Bartlett - NewFoals - [email protected]

Melissa Powell - Status - [email protected]

Christy Scott - Assistant - [email protected]

President Mike Want - [email protected]

Vice President Bob Kane - [email protected]

Director at Large Tom Roberts - [email protected]

I figured by contacting these, surely one or more would be the right one.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first read this I wondered if it didn't have something to do with the new computer program. I am curious how they are handling the horses already listed as silver bay.
Are your referring to the Online Studbook or something they use in the office? The Online Studbook currently doesn't have a code for silver bay so the silver bays appear to be just plain bay.

Yes, this is happening. This is a photo of my silver bay stallion whose permanent papers came back last year now registered as a Chestnut with flaxen mane and tail. I called about the color change and was told the same thing, that silver bay was no longer a recognized color.

Lance250A.jpg

..... Ahhh but I still love my Celebrianna no matter WHAT color AMHA says I have to call her!
Me too!!!
default_wub.png
:

I adore silver bays it is my favorite color of all!

I am disgusted by this, as well.

it is fairly simple, and simple to determine. I have yet to see a silver bay that I cannot tell from chestnut if I can at least see decent photos and barring that it is not a pinto in which leg color is completely obscured. Even then, if you look at accurate representations of parent's colors, you can get a good idea.

To choose chestnut when silver bay is the truth, is really misleading, colorwise.

Granted, color is sort of an inconsequential thing, other than LWO, obviously, but it helps for true identification of the horses and is a vital part of identification.

I love the AMHA, and if I had to choose just ONE registry, AMHA would be it. This ridiculous backwards move they have made, though, is a corker.

I will make my voice known that I am displeased.

Liz M.

WELL! If we are being told that we cannot use the actual color our horses ARE......................................then I'm going to call everyone here PINTOS!

......OOPS...I have a Bay Tobiano.....Let's call him ...........BUCKSKIN! :eek:

Will AMHR allow us to register our horses their correct colors?

Granted, color is sort of an inconsequential thing, other than LWO, obviously, but it helps for true identification of the horses and is a vital part of identification.

Liz M.

[SIZE=12pt]Not to me :new_shocked: Although I agree that Silver Bay is lovely, I do not wish to introduce that gene to my herd and would be VERY upset to be suprized in this way. I admire Silver Bays but don't wish to breed them.[/SIZE]

This is just amazing, I don't get their reluctance to use proven genetics
default_sad.png

Joy

Will AMHR allow us to register our horses their correct colors?
As far as I know, AMHR accepts silver bay. My colt is correctly registered as a silver bay pinto with AMHR even though he's a "silver dapple pinto" with AMHA.

This just stupifies me...i'd like to call the genetics committe of AMHA stupid but name calling never gets anyone anywhere. Though it does play out a good song in my head
default_rolleyes.gif
:

If this is a problem with the new program both AMHA and ASPC/AMHR are shelling out THOUSANDS of dollars to implement then it darn well better get fixed by the programmers and fixed fast! This is completely unacceptable - if the program is not set up to accept the colors that exist in our breed then the program had better be reworked AT NO CHARGE to the associations! We should not be forced to lie because of a shortcoming in a computer program!

I believe that I was on the Genetics committee in 2003 and do not remember this ruling at all, so I am not sure that I accept the answer that was given. The best that I remember was to include silver as a modifier when needed with other colors.

Lewella,

Both AMHA and AMHR finally decided to accept the color "champagne" and put it on papers, but the computer does not have a separate code for it so it always says CR which is Cream or Cremello (not sure which) And you and I both know champagne is a totally different gene from cream! I was just so glad they decided to put it on the the papers if they were champagne and I always send in my ICHR papers to verify it to them before registering with them. There are so fewer champagnes than silver bay that is does not affect near as many people for the computer not to have a code for it.

But I hope Tony is right about silver bay, and that the answer given in the office was incorrect.

Susan O.

I agree with the poster who said it probably has more to do with the computer system than with the actual color of the horse. They have a new system that probably doesnt recognize silver bay as an acceptable response therefore for now they are choosing colors that are acceptable to the computer system. This would be a program change that will cost money to get fixed. My guess is that they dont have the money to fix this right now so anyone registered now has to fit in one of the allowable colors that they have had programmed. Not at all unusual with new computer systems. If Silver bay was not considered during the design phase of their system then it never got programmed in and therefore is no longer an acceptable color. Basically Im telling you that the committees who helped with the design of the system did not cover all possible colors so if it wasnt there during design it never was included. Program changes AFTER a design is signed off on cost BIG bucks to fix. How do I know worked in Information Tech for many years and have seen many systems working Half A---- because the design phase missed something.

It was their mistake.

It should not have been made.

It is up to them to get it fixed.

This is not some penny ante little back yard set up we are talking about here, it is a system that has taken far too long, and too much money to get set up, and then it doesn't work!!!

How stupid is that??

I am sorry but they are very happy to jump all over a member for making an innocent mistake, and all too happy to take our money so they can flipping well sort out their mistakes.

Sauce for the goose, and all that.

I am not amused by this, not in the slightest.

Because someone messed up some people are supposed to accept the wrong, totally incorrect, colour on their papers??

I don't think so.

And you can bet your boots that they will want to charge for changing the colour to the correct one when they do get it sorted out.

In this day and age this sort of very very basic thing should not be happening, not in a society that sets itself up as the premier in the world.

And to say that the computer set up only accepts the "basic" colours is ridiculous.

The basic colours are Black and Red.

I am assuming they are set up to accept colours they have made up, such as Silver Dapple, or Blue Roan Appaloosa (most of which have no Roan at all) but they cannot accept a testable, provable colour like Silver Bay.

Poor show AMHA, time to get your act together!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember this is just my opinion but I have seen many many computer systems being designed and built and I posted what I felt was a distinct possibility. When it is decided that an organization needs a computer system or a BETTER ???? System usually there is a design team from the organization who will work with the IT team either from the organization or hired in. Also many times a group will decide to look at various systems that have already been designed that COULD meet their needs. Often this is the most economical solution BUT when a canned package is purchased that is just what it is a canned package, much like the accounting programs we see for home use they are a plug in and run system. IF AMHA chose one of these canned packages then it is very possible that it met lets say 80% of the needs AMHA had and the colors in this canned package were fixed and could not be changed a canned package is just that it comes complete the way it is and you make do with what you get. Now if they chose a customized package then it would be customized based on what the AMHA design team told them they needed built. There would have been many design meetings and a final design would be presented it would then have to be tested and finally signed off on usually design costs a certain amount of money then testing is phase II and costs a different amount of money and finally the system is signed off on as being complete and essentially everything the user wanted based on the amount of money they had to spend. If it was a customized system each field of the program can be fixed or ammendable. If it is ammendable then the end user can make changes on their own if fixed it is a field that only a programmer can change. The more ammendable the program the more it initially costs and the more flexible it is. However, it also ends up costing less as time goes on because the end user in the case AMHA could make changes without a programmer. Programmer changes AFTER sign off are the most expenisve of all. Its really NOT that AMHA as an organization does not recognize Silver Bay or any other color for that matter it is that they have no way to get this color into their computer system without hiring a programmer toi do it and apparently at this time they dont think this addition is worth the money they would have to spend to get it corrected. Again this is only my opinion based upon years in system design and implementation. If someone NEEDS to assign blame then it is your design team or AMHA's IT division that missed the boat on this one.

Nita I understand what you are saying and I understand the problems- they are not acceptable.

At what stage did the AMHA just decide to jettison some of the colours and at what stage did they decide that cutting corners this way was OK??

It is not OK, it is not acceptable to attempt to get member to fraudulantly register their horses as a colour they are not.

Would it then be OK to register, as I said earlier a Cryptorchid as a Gelding, or a 35" horse as a 33" horse- what part of the programme was deemed acceptable??

The colours of the AMHA are already a standing joke, and now they pull a stunt like this??

It is less than "unacceptable"

It is intolerable.

Jane I realize this may sound snide as I type it but it is not meant that way it is a honest question

I know you have said before your registry there doesnt have the correct color choices either I am wondering did anyone sue them for fraud?

Did it make a difference and get things changed? Or are you in the same boat there that we are here?

Latest posts

Back