AMHA/AMHR/ASPC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
I've been noticing that more and more folks are infusing the shetlands into their breeding programs. If you breed an AMHA/AMHR stallion to a ASPC mare or vice versa, what all could the resulting foal be registered with? Are there any farms that specialize in the triple registered horses and how hard are they to find? I would truly love to hear people's thoughts and opinions on this as I try to educate myself.
default_smile.png

If you breed an ASPC only horse to a horse that is either AMHR or AMHA registered: the foal will only allowed to have National Show Pony papers.

If you breed an AMHR only horse to an AMHA horse - again, it will only be allowed to have National Show Pony papers

The only way to get AMHR papers on a horse is to breed AMHR to AMHR or to hardship and AMHA horse into AMHR.

I may not like it, but I do understand the philosophy behind the ruling protecting the genetics of the ASPC ponies, and if the pony is truly small enough to hardship into AMHR then it will still be double registered. I know that AMHR is cracking down on the number of folks who are jumping on board the ASPC/AMHR bandwagon and asking their stewards to measure the horse square vs stretched in order to hit the 38" mark and get their AMHR papers

There are very few miniatures that carry all three sets of papers - and I doubt that you will see many of them entering the AMHA show ring!
default_wink.png

We have been breeding & showing the ASPC/AMHR horses and most of our herd is now that. We sold out all of our AMHA/AMHR horses and the horses that we have also purchased were straight ASPC that stayed small enough to hardship AMHR, actually one is a Modern that is only 36 inches measured as a miniature. A few of the horses that we have also are just AMHR registered but have the shetland blood and not the ASPC papers.

We have a few show shetlands, Classic, Foundation and a Modern that are straight ASPC that are 41 to 44 inches also and are super to show and so smart.

You cannot breed a ASPC to a AMHR/AMHA and have the resulting foal registered ASPC, it has to be registered the same way or hardshipped from a ASPC to a AMHR or ASPR.

We have a few ASPC/AMHR horses that may stay small enough to hardship in the AMHA in 2013 depending on how they grow, they will either be a tall A or a small B.

There are quite a few people that are getting the ASPC/AMHR horses to be under the 34 inch mark to get them hardshipped into the AMHA before the 2013 cut off.

There was a few AMHA people that were at the Sale of the Century that bought the ASPC/AMHR horses that are trying to produce the AMHA/AMHR/ASPC horses and some of the AMHA people that had attended the 2010 AMHR Nationals with their triple registered horses.

A good friend of ours just sold her ASPC/AMHR/AMHA stallion to a show & breeding farm in Colorado that was a outstanding marked black pinto that was amazing to watch in the ring and was a multiple champion finisher.

Some of these shetland miniature crosses have a totally different atitude as well, not like a miniature and they have to be handled differently, they can explode at any given time and have to be handled with a soft voice and gentle touch as we were told by Taylors Pony Farm when we first got into the shetland crosses. Its all in the way you handle them and for them to trust and respect you, they just have a different type of brain and their way of thinking and super smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers Mountain Meadows and Coventry Lane...........It sounds like if someone wanted to get the triple registered horses, times running out fast. I became curious when I discovered a beautiful triple registered stallion owned by one of our forum friends. You have to excuse me because I'm running on very few hours of sleep, but if I bred an AMHA/AMHR mare to this stallion who is AMHA/AMHR/ASPC would the foal be eligible for registration AMHA and AMHR only?

That is correct, AMHA/AMHR only, no ASPC since your mare is not ASPC registered.

We had a miniature that was sold and ended up in Texas that was AMHA/AMHR registered only but his sire was ASPC/AMHA/AMHR/and Pinto that produced a very nice head and neck on this fellow and man did he have a trot to die for. He was trained to drive and will make someone very happy at the Nationals this year. We just had too many show horses and needed to sell some of them off instead of them staying home when someone could take them out in the ring and we already had a under driving horse and could only show one, so he went.

Thanks for the answers Mountain Meadows and Coventry Lane...........It sounds like if someone wanted to get the triple registered horses, times running out fast. I became curious when I discovered a beautiful triple registered stallion owned by one of our forum friends. You have to excuse me because I'm running on very few hours of sleep, but if I bred an AMHA/AMHR mare to this stallion who is AMHA/AMHR/ASPC would the foal be eligible for registration AMHA and AMHA only?

Unless I am wrong I thinking you mistyped. With what you just said above they would be eligible for A and R registration.

Guess Coventry and I was typing at the same time.

That is correct, AMHA/AMHR only, no ASPC since your mare is not ASPC registered.

We had a miniature that was sold and ended up in Texas that was AMHA/AMHR registered only but his sire was ASPC/AMHA/AMHR/and Pinto that produced a very nice head and neck on this fellow and man did he have a trot to die for. He was trained to drive and will make someone very happy at the Nationals this year. We just had too many show horses and needed to sell some of them off instead of them staying home when someone could take them out in the ring and we already had a under driving horse and could only show one, so he went.

Thanks, my brain is working pretty slow today. It sounds like you had a pretty awesome horse; that's the type that I'm attracted to and I totally understand what you did. I'd rather let them go and have a job than to just stand around in my pasture looking pretty.
default_smile.png

Unless I am wrong I thinking you mistyped. With what you just said above they would be eligible for A and R registration.

Guess Coventry and I was typing at the same time.

I fixed my typo........thanks........I need to take a nap.
default_wink.png

This is really confusing for people that are not used to what it entails to have an ASPC/AMHR registered horse.

I have seen some go out and buy an ASPC/AMHR stallion thinking they can breed him to all of the AMHR mares and get ASPC/AMHR foals. WRONG.

I think it makes it more simple to remember that to have an ASPC registered horse it HAS to have 2 ASPC registered parents.

I think there are a lot more ASPC/AMHR/AMHA horses out there than people realize. They dont come up for sale as often so many never see them.

I sold an ASPC/AMHR filly to a forum member here who I think is still on track to be able to harship AMHA. Maybe she will post
default_smile.png

As said though AMHA is closing hardshipping so not sure how long it will last. Although I have to say I think AMHA will regret that decision and rescind it in the future. That is a lot of money they are turning away!

Kay

He was going to be a great roadster and pleasure horse and we will see him I am sure at the Nationals. My husband is the only one that shows now since I cannot, so we can only do so much.

We have a ASPC/AMHR gelding that is in the Futurity that is heading to the new owners as well and he was a Top Ten at Nationals 2 yrs in a row, 2009 & 2010 and a Top Ten All Star this year. We just felt it would be better if someone would take them and show them instead of them just standing in my barn. This one also will be a kick butt driving horse and can be shown at the Congress as a Foundation.

That is the one thing that we do like about the ASPC/AMHR crosses, you can take them and show them at Congress and then take them to Nationals, lots of people are doing that. We are going to do that this year with our black pinto stallion that is ASPC/AMHR named FFF Entertainers Academy Cadet, he was shown as a weanling at the Nationals in 2010 and was a Top 5 in Futurity and a Top Ten in his halter class, so we are going to give him a shot at attending Congress.

A few years ago we had a ASPC/AMHR Michigan gelding that we took to Congress entered in the Foundation classes against the larger ponies and had multiple placings and then went to Nationals and had three Top Ten placings and went to his new home afterwards.

We are hoping that our ASPC/AMHR horses will be able to hardship into the AMHA in 2013, we will see.

Back