Am I wrong?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitsy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick question. I purchased a mare last summer already bred, I was going to name the baby with my farm name. After all, I may not have bred her but she's been here for seven months and I foaled her out. The original breeder is upset that I want to put my farm name on this baby, she claims her farm name should be on this foal. I'm sure part of the problem is that it is a beautiful filly and she wants the credit. What do you think and what do you do? If I'm wrong I'll change it, papers haven't been sent in yet. Thanks for your input
default_yes.gif
:

Personally......

If you OWN the mare and there was no agreement written or verbal that the foal would be named with the previous farm..... you have the right to put whatever farm name you want on it.

No you are correct. If the baby foaled at your farm. Then you get to name it. Doesn't matter who the actual breeder is. You need something to market for your own farm.

My honest feeling.. if having HER farm name on the foal was so important to her she should have

A) kept the mare until she foaled and named the foal herself

B) put something in the sales contract

Since neither one was done you should name the foal whatever you opt to.

If she wanted her farm name on the foal, she should have said something before the sell was complete. Since she didn't then you are well within your rights to know the filly whatever you want to. If she pays for the registration maybe that would be different too, but she has no right to ask for her farm name to be put on the baby without a prior agreement or at least offering to pay for it.

congratulations on a healthy pretty filly and just pick a very good name.

I agree with the others, the option is totally yours. When I sell a mare in foal, I allow people to use our prefix if they so desire (have to have permission in order to use it with the registries), but I certainly do not try to make them do so.

IMHO this would be like a stallion owner wanting their farm name on a baby by their stallion out of someones elses mare...because thats what it is! Your mare, her stallion. That said, if you think you might want to do buisness with these people again, or maintain a professional friendship then maybe caving would keep things peaceful? I wouldn't blame you one bit for putting your farm name on the baby though, to me its more important who owned the mare at time of foaling, not time of breeding. Is there a rule with the registry? I think you would have to have her written permission when registering to put her farm name on your baby anyway...isn't that correct?

Why don't you put her farm name first, then foal's name then put yours after foal's name. Like for example I bought a mare in foal from Brenda Lane and I asked her and she said it was fine. Her farm is Lanesfield, the mare is Lanesfield Karli. Anyway when the foal is born I plan to call the foal if a filly she will be called Lanesfield Kiamika SPH. My farm is SPH Arabians And Miniatures. I have a gelding registered as Cool Running Sanka SPH. I bought him as a 5 year old and sadly could only register him WCMHR. He is a beauty, looks like a arab when he trots.

She's your mare, your foal, born on your farm. You should name that foal anything you want, including using your own prefix if that's what you want to do. I am pretty sure if she were my foal, that baby would be Whinny For Me's ___________!

You bought the mare in foal and now she had it it's yours to name and do with what you want. :bgrin We have a few here with our name on them that we didn't breed but bought the mares in foal the other farm never even brought that up as far as using their farm name on them.

Also, a little different subject, but when I hardship a mare from AMHA to AMHR, unless it's from a farm that means something to me, then I would and have used my own prefix in that case. I have a mare who is Silver Spotted Banana of Circle M (urgh!) with AMHA and Whinny For Me's Polkadot Perfection with AMHR. .

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the others. You are right in putting your prefix on the filly. The seller should have made that stipulation, in the contract, at time of sale if it was so important to her to have her prefix on the foal.

Your mare, your baby, your name. If you enjoy the seller you may want to incorporate their name in some way into your name but it really is your call!

Hi, I bought a mare that was in foal, she foaled out at my farm, and will have my farm name, but i`m friends with her old owner, i have purchased 4 of my minis from her, and she said that since i will have the mare when she foals that i would put my farm name on her. Good luck with what you decide.....

You owned the mare when she foaled. The mare is yours, the foal is yours, the NAME is yours!!! The papers will still show her as the breeder.

Robin

Your mare, your baby, your name. If you enjoy the seller you may want to incorporate their name in some way into your name but it really is your call!

I ditto both Dimi and also Robin1's posts....... Basically it's your call! However, if you want to maintain a relationship with the lady you bought the mare from, you can always incorporate both farm names.

I have a friend who bought a colt from Brewers and Roy told her she could name the colt herself. So he's "Brewers Sterling Dynamite" . Her farm name is "Sterling Spring Farm"........... That's just an example.

MA

Unless she asked you to do this & made a contract at time of sale then she has no right to demand this of you.................... Years ago Lee & I agreed to put Little King Farm prefix on our colt that was out of our mare. We had planned on selling the resulting foal out of our mare & bred by Buck Echo. Lee & I liked the foal so we bought their half. Part of the deal was to put their prefix on him. Another breeder told Lee that we were crazy to put another farm name on him. We are a small farm & they are well known so we figured people would recogonize Little Kings Echo's Omega a lot faster than Cay-Lee's Omega.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel, and have always felt that if the foal is born while I own the mare, I will put my own farm name on the foal. I would expect the same if I sold a mare in foal, that the new owner would do the same, by registering that foal, with their farm name. The breeder is still and always will be listed on that foals papers as the breeder, so we are not taking those "rights and recognition" away from the breeder. Right or wrong, this is the way I feel about the situation. Also, if the breeder wanted it otherwise, it should have been stated at the time of the sale, and as a part of a contract.

Latest posts

Back