Alternative to Acupuncture?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
My filly was finally diagnosed with having a fracture that healed with scar tissue, and she doesnt have the full range of motion. She has been like this for almost a year(on Labor day)...the vet said the only thing that might work is acupuncture, but it was like 150 per treatment, and she would need 3 to at least see maybe an improvement, but it might not even work! Is massage therapy something i might want to look into. Has anyone delt with this problem before? THanks!

Shayna

Hi,

I've not had to deal with this, but... I was at a adult dressage camp with my big horse at the time, last summer and we had a few speakers. One being a vet who did acupuncture..... He also did like a lazer (red light that clicked)... it gave little electric shock ways into the horse. But it was also suppose to help.... How much?

Is your horse on any supplements for joints or anything? Have you looks into anything like a cortozon shot or something like that?

Right now she is on Bute Paste, but that is going to run out soon and i cant just give it to get forever. She isnt on joint supplements right now...should i put her on something? If it might help, i will do it. I am desperate now! What would a cortazone shot do? ive heard of it but am not very familliar with it...

Katie

Where are you? I have a chiropractor vet coming out every 2 weeks to treat my QH. She also does acupuncture treatments on him. He has a dislocated hip and his spine had locked up from standing out of whack. She only charges $90/per treatment (for both) + a farm call fee. You might look around for more vets that practice it.

I can say that her treatments have helped my boy a lot. He can now put weight on his leg and is getting his appetite back.

Reiki is an alternative, but I'm not sure what the costs are. I've never had it done, but know many who have, and my RI does it, so I know it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im located in Portland Oregon. 90$ for that is pretty reasonable! Ill have to look around and check for more prices...thanks!

Shay&Katie

I would look around your area for a Reiki practioner who also does equine massage if you can. Just the Reiki will help immensely! Do a google search REIKI

Back