All you Vegetable Gardners out there.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
Whatca plant and how's it coming along........................

We only have tomato plants and peppers planted so far. It got down to freezing last night (yikes!) but we have "wall o waters" around the tomato plants to protect them. Now it's finally supposed to warm up so we may plant a few more things. Last year we also had cantaloupe (yummy!), big pumpkins and "jack-be-little" pumpkins, Yukon gold potatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and corn, along with tomatoes.

We have a very tiny garden. Four tomato plants, two of them have small blooms on them, and four pepper plants. They are all growing.

We have a nice garden and already have veggies we are eating!
default_aktion033.gif

The Toms are wonderful and so much better than the store bought ones!

I love them BLT's

So many ways to cook Zukes and yellow squash! Oh yummy!!

We also have Bell Peppers, hot peppers, string beans and egg plant. The Cukes are not ready yet.

It is sure a saving from having to buy it all at the store.

Its worth the work of weeding!
default_yes.gif

Well, we have turnips, carrots and Jack o lantern pumpkins this year... and one tomato plant. I have a black thumb so wish me luck...better yet, wish the plants luck- I guess they need it more.

Well, we have turnips, carrots and Jack o lantern pumpkins this year... and one tomato plant. I have a black thumb so wish me luck...better yet, wish the plants luck- I guess they need it more.

Erika, you and me both! I don't have much luck with plants. But here's what I've planted so far.

3 tomato plants. One beefsteak, one grape and one big boy (I think). I've got flowers and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Green onions - I've got them staggered so they are not all ready at the same time.

Spanish peppers - Mainly for Mom as she cooks with them. Plus they're good in bean recipes.

Carrots - Wish me luck on these!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
Only did them one other time and then they turned out real small. The tops are coming up and they look so cute tho.

Muskmelons - Same as with the carrots. They ended up being mini melons.

Sugarbaby watermelons - Never done these before so these will be interesting....
default_wacko.png

Bush Green Beans - Am excited about these. If I can't grow these I can't grow anything.
default_sad.png
I'm told these babies are one of the most easiest. They're coming up thick and strong.
default_aktion033.gif

Zucchini - Doing nicely.

Pumpkins - The seeds are from forum member Roxy's Run (Linda). I'm excited about these. They're from her yield from last year. My pumpkins did really well last year (the plants) until mold/fungus got to them and then it was downhill from there. I was very dissappointed. This year I have them in another section growing.

Well its a bit cooler here than where many of you are so my garden is just getting started. I have peas (they are about 4" hi right now) carrots (not up yet) romaine and head lettuce red, white and yellow onions, swiss chard, tomatoes(about 15 plants, I supply a lot of friends ;) ) cucumbers and zucchini. My garden has gotten much smaller in the past couple of years as the kids have grown (not so many of their friends raiding it so I needn't plant so much lol) and as I focus more on time with my horses and my flower gardens.

We only have tomato plants and peppers planted so far. It got down to freezing last night (yikes!) but we have "wall o waters" around the tomato plants to protect them. Now it's finally supposed to warm up so we may plant a few more things. Last year we also had cantaloupe (yummy!), big pumpkins and "jack-be-little" pumpkins, Yukon gold potatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and corn, along with tomatoes.
Hey Magic, I had pumpkins year before last- only got one good one. What's the trick to getting a good bunch of them? Mine were large, but I have (had?) seeds for smaller ones and decorative gourds.

I haven't planted anything this year except some strawberries in a pot, and some flowers in a nice window-type planter box. They're all thriving- I'm expecting the first flowers soon! I adore growing stuff like this, but it looks like I'll have to stick to container planting in the foreseeable future. Our weather had been weird enough here that I'm not sure I'd have planted anything and had it survive anyways >.>

I miss growing stuff. Good luck with your gardens everyone!!
default_smile.png

I have already had killed lettuce - hillbilly for green onions & lettuce with a bit of hot bacon grease poured over it. Should have some yellow crookneck squash ready to bread & fry in a few days.....Can't wait for

fried green tomatoes - white potatoes are looking good. Also have some plants of acorn squash, eggplants, cucumber & three types of pepper plants.. My 15 year old asparagus plants produced yummy spears

again this year............................ My green beans are looking good. One kind is a "greasy bean" which has been passed on through generations of small gardeners. Country folks (hillbillies) use to string these up on thread & hang them behind the wood burning stove or in the sun to dry. In the winter time the beans were then soaked & cooked with lots of salt pork thus the name. Also known as leather britches.... I remember

stringing buckets of these beans as a child...... I'm getting ready to make a bed for strawberries. My friend planted some strawberry plants this year & had lots of yummy strawberries which she shared with me (my favorite fruit). She is giving me some of her runners.

I've got tomatoes, cukes and squash planted, 2 of my squash plants have compleately wilted over, not sure why. I did get 2 yellow squash this morning. I hope that I can get the rest of it to grow, I have some carrots, Kale greens, and some lettuce planted but I'm not sure its all going to make it. I have it planted with miracle grow, etc, but no rain is seeming to be a problem. I've been watering a bit every other day, maybe thats too often.

Karen

Everything is doing well here. We have a smaller garden this year than we ever have. There is one grape tomato plant that isn't thriving but I can handle that! We have planted tomatoes (champions and grape tomatoes), corn (early and later), green peppers, cucumbers, watermelon and radishes. We did have a mush melon plant and it died after a bad storm we had. I love fresh veggies! Oh, and we do have a few green bean plants.

Cathy, I am with you! Love fried green tomatoes. Yum yum! Ron wont eat them so I will be having mine for a lunch. LOL

I'd let the lawn grass "creep in" and make our garden much smaller after our daughters left home, but now with grocery prices and fuel costs, etc., we decided to enlarge and re-invent our original sized patch (I used to call it He**'s Half Acre) and go back to planting almost more than we can take care of. Have 3 kinds of potatos, onions, radishes, peas, sugar peas, salad greens (3 lettuces and spinach), beets, green beans, okra, kohlrabi, sweet corn, 20 tomato plants, 20 pepper plants, zuchinni and cucumbers. Oh yeah, and a little herb patch with parsley, basil and dill. Which reminds me, I guess I better finish my morning coffee, go do chores and get to work in the garden LOL. oops, forgot to mention the 6 new seedless grapes and 3 blueberry plants we set out this Spring
default_wacko.png

Lets see...

Peas, beans, Artichokes, 6 tomato plants, 2 kinds of squash, pumpkins, carrots, parsnips(which need saving from the weeds), eggplant, bell peppers, onions, broccoli,, some flowers the good bugs like. Sure I am missing something.

But the Garden bed is fairly new,,so do not expect much from it this year.

Well I used huge pots that I used to plant flowers in to do my veggies. I figured if I'm going to spend money on plants I guess being able to eat it is a bonus
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png
I did this last year too and it worked out great!! Zucks, yellow squash(in hanging baskets) tomatos and cherry tomatos, green and red peppers, spinich, broccoli, onions, and climbing peas(also in hanging baskets) and cukes. Now hubby has a nice little spot plowed and tilled with mini pumpkins and mini indian corn. I told him to go ahead and make it as big as he wanted but to remember that I'm not weeding it!! LOL! The first year we moved here we decided to do a huge garden and it was WAY to much to take care of. I could not keep up with it. It discourged me big time, so for years I have not had a garden. Now if I want a garden I do it in pots where I can keep track of everything and there right on our back patio/drive so it's super easy to see how everyones doing.
default_wink.png
It works out great for us!

Leya

edited to add pictures of last years pots but I could not find one of the hanging baskets

1765.jpg

1764.jpg

Whitney-

I have to say WOW!! Thats alot of garden!!!! LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I planted 40 strawberry plants last year, so this is the first year to HARVEST, man are they GOOD! I was able to start another bed of 40 from the runners, and hopefully will get another bed started this fall from runners I think with 120 plants there just MAY BE enough for ME.

For all you ROOTERS HOW the HECK do you do it? My carrots and beets are PUNNY, the WILD carrots do MUCH better than the ones I plant!

I planted 6 rows of corn the white and yellow kind. 66 tomatoe plants, green beans (I hope I can find some good receipes they will be coming out the WAZOO shortly), chard, brocolli, califlower, cabbage, kolarabi (sp)

summer squash and little baking pumpkins.

veggarden.jpg

Caught peter cottontail in the garden last night have NO IDEA how he got in, but I believe I gave him a heart attack chasing him out.

After our big rain I watched momma robin (she has a nest under my deck) catch the BIGGEST worm I have ever seen it had to be 8" LONG!

OH and the GREATEST NEWS the peach tree I planted 3 years ago has PEACHES!!!!!!! This is my THIRD attempt getting a peach tree to survive Michigan winters.

Leya that sounds TOO COOL you HAVE to post pictures. Those pots ROCK and look REALLY nice!

This was my veg garden a couple of years ago. I have 2 smaller beds in the front yard for lettuce, radishes, cherry tomatoes (yellow pear), and cucumbers. Still another bed of perrenial veggies like asparagus, jumping onions, rhubarb, and horseradish. And then theres the orchard with strawberries, currants, bush cherries, raspberries, and goosberries, 3 kinds of apples, 2 kinds of pears, a plum, A PEACH and seedless grapes. I enjoy gardening ALMOST as much as horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes, broccoli, 1 cucumber, carrots and beans, and Texas Sweet onions. Not a lot, but will plant a late garden as well with peas, more onions, and whatever else strikes my fancy. We had so much rain early on that it was difficult to get the "early" veggies in, so we will have to wait till late garden time to get some of the plants in. I have about 24 tomato plants, with staggered planting dates so that we can have tomatoes, hopefully until the first frost. My mom taught me how to grow them, and pick them just before a frost, wrap them, and you can have tomatoes most all winter. Lately, I have been complaining to everyone about the quality of the produce in the groceries, and almost all are saying they are getting the same kind of produce in the grocery stores everywhere. Now, we have this problem with tomatoes, and they are my favorite fruit. I am afraid to buy them and put them on sandwiches, or salads, and I can't wait till my own get ripe enough to eat!

Leya...those are pretty cool! How much of a yeild do you get out of your zucchini plants in those pots? My sister gardens out of pots, and she enjoys it...I just never thought you could get much produce out of say pumpkins and zucchinis. But the no weeding sure is sounding really nice!!!

Anyone have any tips on the pumpkin type of plants as to watering. Is that what causes the fungus that totally kills the plant? I don't want the same thing to happen last year happen this year to my pumpkins...that was a bummer!
default_no.gif

Well I used huge pots
..................You gardeners that have old water troughs with holes in them.. This fall / winter set them where you want them & fill them with manure. Next spring they will be ready to plant your veggies in. No bending over to harvest the veggies....... I have two 100 gallon water troughs that I grow my green beans in. Stick old broom sticks in the end & tie hay strings across for the beans to run up on. This fall I will add more manure to be ready again for next spring. No dirt is needed unless you want to.

default_biggrin.png
I'm on the gardening bandwagon this year
default_biggrin.png

So far in my greenhouse I have--6 tomato plants-(flowering), green onions, carrots, two types of spinach, two types of lettuce, radishes, and dill. I'm in the process of getting my two big raised beds ready for squash, cucumbers, more onions-(different types), and I may even try to dig a bit of a garden as well, as there is corn, peas, beans, potatoes,beets,broccoli, cauliflower, and chives to plant as well. I think that is all i'm going to plant unless I forgot something in the list
default_smile.png

The weather here has been cold and rainy up until now, so let the planting begin here in the Kootenays
default_smile.png

Sterling- The yeild was great! When I first did it last year my hubby and father in law laughed and said the cucumbers and Zucinni would not do well. I have to say they were wrong! I was giving away veggies left and right expecially sence I don't eat tomatos at all and they were comming out fabulous. The only thing that I have to watch is watering. Thay get dried out super fast, so sometimes I water twice a day. I'll get pictures tonight of my pots this year if anyone would like to see. I'll ask hubby about the pumpkins. his family has grown and sold pumpkins for at least 20 years.

Cathy- Pictures!!!!!!! I'd love to see what your set up is!!! I use poo too in my pots and so far things are awsome!

Latest posts

Back