All you Vegetable Gardners out there.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Magic, I had pumpkins year before last- only got one good one. What's the trick to getting a good bunch of them? Mine were large, but I have (had?) seeds for smaller ones and decorative gourds.

I have no idea what the trick was to getting the pumpkins to grow well--- they just did!
default_saludando.gif
Benign neglect maybe? LOL!
default_rolleyes.gif
We had a hot summer and I watered deeply but only a couple of times a week or so.

I forgot to mention our strawberries, this is their second year and the plants are HUGE. We did get get a few strawberries from them last year but looks like we'll be getting a whole lot this year. We also have just a few raspberry plants that are doing well, this is their second year too. I'm going to be planting more of those, yummy!!

Sterling- The yeild was great! When I first did it last year my hubby and father in law laughed and said the cucumbers and Zucinni would not do well. I have to say they were wrong! I was giving away veggies left and right expecially sence I don't eat tomatos at all and they were comming out fabulous. The only thing that I have to watch is watering. Thay get dried out super fast, so sometimes I water twice a day. I'll get pictures tonight of my pots this year if anyone would like to see. I'll ask hubby about the pumpkins. his family has grown and sold pumpkins for at least 20 years.

Cathy- Pictures!!!!!!! I'd love to see what your set up is!!! I use poo too in my pots and so far things are awsome!

default_aktion033.gif
I would love any and all advice!!! I sure could use it!!!
default_yes.gif

Cathy H that's a GREAT idea!

I wonder if the carrots would grow in that?

I have an old tank I could leave out in front of the barn and fill with carrots for the horses.

Leya YES MORE PICTURES PLEASE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pis of my plants this year. There doing well! Sorry os many pics I got carried away!! LOL!! :DOH!

Yellow Squash

001.jpg

Lettuce

004.jpg

006.jpg

Peas

005-1.jpg

containers

002.jpg

008.jpg

003.jpg

Leya those are just BEAUTIFUL. I have to show my Mom those pictures. I'm trying to talk her into container vegetable gardening. VERY VERY PRETTY!

I bet my peas would do better in those hanging baskets I could put them in part shade. I wish I didn't have mine planted with annuals already or I would be putting some peas in them instead, with maybe some marigolds for color (theres always next year).

Also a tip for your hanging baskets instead of replacing the liners every couple of years if you cut out a piece of heavy duty landscape fabric it will last 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whitney...thanks for bringing this thread back up...I had been meaning to reply to it again to thank Leya for posting those pics of her potted garden. What a wonderful idea and the plants look so healthy and vibrant. I may just have to try this idea next year....I found this morning that a mole has invaded my tomato garden......gonna have to have hubby set up the mole trap. :DOH!

[SIZE=12pt]We have a pretty good garden going this year, about 35 plus tomato plants (some fun heirlooms, but mostly "regular" plants), lots and lots of assorted peppers, corn, cucumbers, squash, okra, cantaloupe, muskmelon, watermelon, potatoes, berries of various sorts, asparagus and something I'm forgetting I'm sure~LOL [/SIZE]

Zac scarfed down our first early girl tomato the other day
default_wub.png
default_yes.gif
Steve and I managed to get one bite each and it was gone when Zac got ahold of it again!

We are so NOT having normal weather here this year.

I've one tomato test plant.....it has a few flowers, no fruit yet.

The strawberry plants have berries but they aren't growing much

and definitely are not close to eating.....

It's still in the low 40's here at night and 10 to 12 degrees cooler in

the daytime than normal for this time of the year.

The flowers are not getting lush, either. Unless something happens,

this season is a wash out......the long range forecast is not so great.

I just talked to our hay person and he's hoping like heck to get hay down

by the 2nd week of July --- hoping being his key word.

Strange year........guess the grocery store gets my produce dollars this

year.

Latest posts

Back