All SORTS of donkey questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCdonkeygirl

Reaction score

Hubby and I came home from the Mount Airy mini donkey auction with a boat load of donkeys (ok it was only 4 donkeys) bringing our heard up to 6:5 donkeys and 1 mule. One of them is a month old (bought mama too of course) and another is 6 months old. These are our first babies so I'm not sure about some things. What is the appropriate age to start trimming their feet? Also, how old does a jack need to be before he can be gelded? I think we'll sell him as a jack, but I feel like this is something I should know...Oh and one more thing. After seeing all the donkeys at the auction I realized our gelding is fat. How much grain should I feed these babies? Should I feed them grain twice a day? Do they even need grain? We're in the process of expanding our paddock which is really a dirt pit because of the draught-once they have some real grass to eat should I continue to feed them hay? Should I limit how much time they get to spend out in the pasture? And mama donkey is a little skinny. She's nursing and possibly pregnant-should I feed her more? I'm so afraid of over feeding everyone. :no:

We start to trim our foals feet as soon as possible, usually just handling and filing the tips off at about 2 weeks old. They usually dont need it but its good experience for the foal and teaches him to stand and let you lift and "play" with his hooves. Gelding can really be a personal choice, but the sooner its done the less "jack" traits he will have. We have only had 2-3 gelded but they have all been about 9 months old, except Snickers, our hinny, who was 3 years old..and I really do regreat not doing it alot sooner to him. Jacks can sire foals at a very young age in some rare cases as early as 6 months. Donkeys do NOT need grain, they will develope a crest and that can turn into a broken crest...it comes from graining and protein. Donkeys do great on just a nice quality grassy blend hay. If your pasture is a really rich pasture (alfalfa etc) I would definitely limit there time on it. Dont ever just turn a donkey out to a pasture and let them eat..they can and will colic on you. If your jenny is a little on the thin side, you can give her a cup of grain,but check the protein in it, a good one for donkeys is a lower one about 9-10% and you can also add a little bit of peet pulp, that has been expanded to help her gain weight, but dont over do it. AND, last...CONGRATULATIONS on your new additions. We would love to see pics of them. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they need grain.........well most of the time NO!!!!!!!!!!! but try telling that to my donkeys!haha If you do give grain only give a little bit, they don't need alot.

I do grain my pregnant jennies, and I do grain my weanlings. Or if I have one underweight. otherwise it is just a little handful, or a apple treat. All my donkeys are on the heftier side, just watch so they don't start making a fat roll on their neck.

Trimming can be started anytime, the sooner the better, we have trimmed as early as a week old.

My donkeys do well on pasture, but every one is different, just like my horses, some I can turn out on pasture and others I can't.

Good luck! :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I guess I'm getting stuck on the "little bit" of grain. I keeping reading this over and over in different places-but how much exactly is a little bit? A 1/4 cup? I might just cut grain out altogether-especially for the gelding-it's like crack-it's the only thing that makes him bray!

Our hay actually comes from our field that we are sectioning off for pasture-so should I not feed them hay if they are out there? I'm pretty sure it's just fescue (sp?) hay, no alfalfa. And with the lack or rain I wouldn't exactly call it lush. Right now all 6 are in a paddock that's less than an acre and we're fencing in an additional couple acres. Would you recommend bringing everybody up at night and putting them in the paddock? I don't need anybody colicking out there.

Thanks so much for your help! I'll hopefully get some time to take some pictures soon!

Grain ? I give 1/2 - 1 cup ..... I shouldn't ..... but I created the monsters a long time ago
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I tend to give Mom's and babies closer to the full cup.

I use the grain also to mix my "Focus" in and Vitamin supplements in.

Grain is also excellent in my case for farrier visits and trimming
default_yes.gif
:

As for Gelding... I have a lil Jack that is going on 7 months old now and it it time :aktion033:
default_wink.png
:

The little A** has been harrassing the girls so badly with his knew found "manlyhood" he has had to be seperated from them recently. He can get the ol stick going pretty good...but as soon as he stands to "think" he is going to mount .... the girls give him a real good kick OR bite and his stick fizzles :aktion033:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

It's just a matter of time that the stick won't be fizzeling.

He'll get the cute spotted things loped off next month as September has been our goal with less fly's around.

Post pics of your Donk family and new additions...we would love to see them.

*if you need help posting pics...let us know...we would love to help
default_smile.png
Teri

Grain definitely creates monsters! I agree with that. Everybody gets along until there is grain involved. I have a yearling mule-pony size-but gigantic compared to my jennets and she wants ALL the grain and unless I put her in the stall she gets ALL the grain. My new girls are hesitant still and by the time they get to their grain the mule has already eaten it all. The mule is a brat-we're working on manners :nono: but I'm wondering if removing the temptation completely is the answer. I read somewhere that mules don't need grain either...*sigh*

Latest posts

Back