All 3 of my foals are sick....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would call a different vet!!

My neighbors went through about FIVE that just said, oh give them pepto bismal- they'll be fine before they got one that rushed out and treated the baby!!! It lived, but it also got treatment right away!!

The vet needs to just DO IT!!

Hang in there sweetie!!!!! HOW FRUSTRATING!!!

Sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery for your foals!

((((Hugs))))

Joyce

Fiona, demand the test for salmonella, with all the flooding you've had God knows what has washed in and up. I'll pay for it Hon, tell him he has to do this.

I'm so sorry you are going thru this Fiona. :no: A foal can get sick & crash very quickly if the problem isn't treated ASAP. I would have little faith in any vet who told me "this will turn around, or the foals will be lost." What kind of help is that!? :no: These babies need treatment....and soon!

Prayers & HUGS going out to you Fiona!
default_wub.png
:

Wow Fiona! I just saw your post and went back to the other one. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this! Sounds like you maybe have a handle on things at this point. Praying that everything will improve, your precious babies will recover and for strength for YOU to hold up through it all. God bless.....

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope and pray everything starts looking up and that your little one gets better. I must've missed the part about the flooding and your dog...but good wishes and prayers going out your way. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through.
default_sad.png

Fiona,

I am so sorry for what you are going through, my prayers are with you. I wish I could do more to help. I KNOW you are doing all you can. Please keep us updated when you can.

Okay, I'm sorry you have to go thought this, my prayers are with you. But as for the rest of you, I'm sorry to have to say, you were all very hard on Champ! Shame on you. All she read on this lead was...

"I have sick foals and cannot afford the vet care"

I completely understand her frustration with seeing people not take care of there animals. I work with an animal rescue and you cannot believe the suffering and pain these animals go through because the owners cannot afford to own animals. They buy food and that is it, and never visit a vet. Sometimes they don't even bother with food. I've seen horses scared and bleeding because everyone is afraid of standing up and saying something like Champ did, sometimes the owners don't even know that they are being cruel, or they do know and just don't care.

Don't get me wrong. I fully understand that is not the case here. There were terrible horrible things like floods etc that led up to this woman’s misfortune and we all are in danger of life taking terrible turns that are not our fault. However someone did start a new lead on this conversation in a funny place.

I wish Champ would have been at the last miniature horse show I was at. In my horses Multi color class there was a mini that was so starved you could see every single rib and it's entire os coxa (that the pelvic girdle). I was so furious to see this poor little horse in this condition I asked my trainer if anyone would say anything to this person. No one did and being the "newbie" I didn't either because I was afraid that I would get the same treatment you all just showed to Champ. If it had been an Arabian Show this horse's owner would have been disqualified from the show and membership put on suspension. But this horse ENTERED a CLASS, and the JUDGE didn't even say anything.

I will pray for the situation and the foals. I have lost a horse myself in unfortunate circumstances just last year and would not wish that on anyone- even someone who I don't agree with. And especially not someone who has the guts to speak up because she cares about ALL horses, not just her own. Yes I'm talking about Champ; if she didn't care she would not have stuck her neck out on the chopping block.

Fiona, I was stripping Halley's stall and it came to me that you should have them tested for GIARDIA and COCCIDIOSIS, your kids show symptoms that could be linked to either of these what with all the rain. I have experienced them both and while totally dibilitating they can be cured with the right meds. One was Albon I think but gosh it has been so long ago. The common name is "beaver fever" for Giardia and can wash in from flooding, same for the coccidia, any avian; chicken pigeon etc even bunnies carry this. Do ask for a simple stool sample, they should be able to SEE what it is with a good microscope.

If you are on a well for drinking water, please have that tested also.

The vet did NOT test for Salmonella!???? :new_shocked: That is VERY contageous. And now your other foals are acting the same way????

Helloooo there vet...... something contageous is going on. It may be Salmonella or some other bacteria, but something is going on.

Was your first foal on an antibiotic? Do any of your foals have temps? Has your vet recommended an antibiotic?

Fiona, Start making a list of things to ask your vet and then plow into him.

MA

I am a bit concerned with my vets reaction. I don't know why he didn't test for all this stuff and many of you seem shocked?

I told him the horses are my hobby and as a stay at home Mom I am not the breadwinner. My husband doesn't like horses, THAT is NOT to say he would deny them any treatment.

I told the vet we would bring Kerry in immediately and at this point I would hope to keep the bill around $1,000, I told him once it hit that mark I would want to look at the situation again and see what direction it was heading, as in if we were losing the fight I may have to make a difficult decision. not sure if he is being too cautious though???

When I said I cannot afford to treat my animals I don't mean provide them care but before I go running up a massive bill I want to know that I am making the right decision for a foal. My vet told me the first 24 hours would cost $500 and to expect for the filly to stay at the clinic for 3 days minimum.

I do feel my vet is giving this his full attention and I do feel that he is a competent vet. Maybe he is more cautious than others? I don't know?

I have just spoken to him and he said he will run the test on her btu said they will take at least 5 days to come back.

As of right now she is the same, not nursing and still very sick but they are tubing her with milk and giving her fluids and antibiotics.

As of right now Angel's foal(Casey) is not showing signs of sickness. Theo is sick but will drink from a bowl if I strip the milk. He(the vet) will start antibiotics tomorrow on him, he said I can give them to him from home.

I pray that this illness will not have a domino affect on any more of the horses, as of right now only Kerry and Theo are sickly............

Keep praying for them:)

You are an amazing group of people!

I hold no grudge against Champ, I know exactly where she was coming from. The comment initially stung but she doesn't know me and perhaps my wording came out wrong and implied that I had no money to take care of my horses. I would remortgage my house for my animals if I had to but it is not my decision alone and I don't think it is fair to my family to assume they are all willing to make such a decision.

It is very true though I have learned an invaluable lesson that my hobby is a living breathing animal and the costs of my hobby can skyrocket in a second. :eek:

Not sure if this makes sense!! it was written in a hurry!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a bit concerned with my vets reaction. I don't know why he didn't test for all this stuff and many of you seem shocked?

. My vet told me the first 24 hours would cost $500 and to expect for the filly to stay at the clinic for 3 days minimum.

I hold no grudge against Champ, I know exactly where she was coming from.
I am a bit concered and get the feeling he told you it would 500 without even seeing the foal yet? seems odd he would be able to give you a cost without knowing what he was dealing with? either way I am hoping they find the answer.

I am very glad to see you know where Champ was coming from. I have seen many people on this thread in fact say the same thing to someone (however the only difference was ) it wasnt there friend they were saying it to so perhaps didnt know all the circumstances like they are able to do in this case which is that you are doing the best that you can.

Hang in there

I only have a sec, and have not read all the posts, so forgive me if someone has suggested this

Bleach everything!!! Anything your hands have touched, every nook and cranny. Whatever is contageous can sometimes be killed with it. One part bleach to 10 parts water in a garden sprayer works best, and you can spray walls,. ground, whatever.

Also, good luck and I will be praying for ya, Gotta leave for the church.....

Oh No Fiona! Im praying for you and your babies. What a terrible thing to go through, thankyou for all the updates. Good luck, ((((HUGS))))

Helen

i feel so awful for you!! but pls remember that you do have a right to question what your veternarian is doing and expect answers. Just like people doctors they are human and make mistakes like the rest of us. And keep in mind you are PAYING for his/her services
default_smile.png
I think sometimes we get really intimidated and dont stand up for ourselves or our animals. and for sure you are under a great deal of stress and that doesnt help either. My mare was at a university and maybe thats why they got her test back so quickly?? but i do remember the vet saying it had to be a very specific antibiotic to treat salmonella. as soon as they got the test back they switched her meds.

For sure none of us knows what it is and we are all just throwing guesses out to try and help as we all so feel for your situation.

One thing for sure is i would isolate that last foal that isnt sick and i would never touch that foal after treating the sick foal until i bleach and change clothes.

Fiona you hang in there!

Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. Shame on a person who cannot give support when needed. In fact, as someone said, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

We'll be praying for you, your family, and your precious little ones!

Cheryl and David Menossi

Lemon Rock Ranch

i feel so awful for you!! but pls remember that you do have a right to question what your veternarian is doing and expect answers. Just like people doctors they are human and make mistakes like the rest of us. And keep in mind you are PAYING for his/her services
default_smile.png
I think sometimes we get really intimidated and dont stand up for ourselves or our animals. and for sure you are under a great deal of stress and that doesnt help either. My mare was at a university and maybe thats why they got her test back so quickly?? but i do remember the vet saying it had to be a very specific antibiotic to treat salmonella. as soon as they got the test back they switched her meds.

For sure none of us knows what it is and we are all just throwing guesses out to try and help as we all so feel for your situation.

One thing for sure is i would isolate that last foal that isnt sick and i would never touch that foal after treating the sick foal until i bleach and change clothes.

Very well put Kay! I totally agree we should always ask questions.

And the use of bleach and separating the healthy foal is also an excellent idea. It's like you would do if you had Strangles in your barn....... Isolate and organize how you time caring for each animal.

We've had situations where we literally had spray bottles of Bleach Water posted at each stall and would spray our barn shoes and hands when leaving.

Fiona -- Wishing you the best of luck and sending you positive thought and prayer.

MA

Hello Capall Beag~

A friend of mine e-mailed me, telling me of this thread and thought that perhaps I coupld be of some help, too.

I adopted a little dwarf mini last spring, who had had chronic diarrhea for 6 months! :new_shocked: She had not been tested for Salmonella either, as the vets all seemed to think that if it were Salmonella, she would be a VERY sick little horse or dead!
default_sad.png
However, with my research on the Internet, I discovered that Salmonella can effect horses in different ways;...one, they can be a carrier and not show any signs of having it and shed the bacteria, two they can have sever diarrhea and be VERY sick with it or even die, three, they can have chronic diarrhea and not show any other signs of being sick, that's the way my little Smidgen was! Seems like there was one other way it could effect horses, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was, darn CRS!

It shouldn't cost you very much to have fecal samples tested for Salmonella.

The samples will most likely have to be sent off to a place like Texas A & M, but your vet can also do a test to see if he can grow any Salmonella, too. You will have to take fecal samples for 5 days in a row awhile after the antibiotics are stopped to make sure the horsees are rid of the Salmonella, if they do test positive for it. I don't know if you are doing this, but the foals and they dams should be quarentined away from any of your other horses, you will have to be VERY careful not to wear the same shoes in the other horses'

stalls or barn and you will have to make sure your hands are disinfected before touching your other horses. Thank goodness I kept Smidgen quarentined when I brought her home and was very careful to do what I mentioned above, as one vet said I did not have anything to be concerned about, with bringing Smidgen onto my farm, because if she were to have Salmonella, she would be VERY sick or dead after 6 months of the chronic diahhrea, NOT TRUE! :no:

I wish I had kept a journel on Smidgen now! As to what medications we gave her and such. It took me 3 months to get her well. but I did with the help of a few different vets, and she is healthy and doing GREAT now!
default_smile.png

I have to admit that I did not read all the posts, but I did read all of your posts Capall Beag. I wish you all the luck with these 3 foals, and that they will make a complete and speedy recovery for you.
default_yes.gif
:

OK, couple of Q's I will go to walmart tonight and get the spray bottles and bleach but is it harmful at all, can I spray in the stall where the foal is?

I am going to isolate the foal, I have locked Theo up with Fairy so they are not with the others.

How often should I strip the milk from Fairy to feed Theo. He is not nursing but slurps away if I milk her and put it in a bucket.

Theo is showing a slight improvement and he is urinating.

He curled his lip when I rubbed him in his favorite spot and he is dry on his rear since I last washed his bum about an hour ago.....for now this is reason enough for me to smile.

I also am so happy my little Casey, is running around and he is nursing and acting normal.......that is a wonderful thing! I am cautiously happy!

Strange thing is Casey had a little diarrhea on Monday night, same smell, runny liquid. I gave him electrolyte paste and in the am he was normal. Well lethargic but no diarrhea. He seems to be pretty normal now. Wonder why he recovered before it really got him? He is the youngest foal?

The vet did say Kerry's test showed she was in good health other than this and had received what she needed at birth.

The kindness and generousity of spirit and other of the forum members who have supported me is truly phenomonal(sp) I am deeply moved by your warmth and genuine show of caring to me, a stranger to most.

I feel very fortunate to be a member of this forum, truly a brilliant group of people!

I feel proud to call you friends!

The sincerest and most heartfelt Thanks to you all :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back