AKC Inspeciton

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Acres

Reaction score
Hello, I have never been inspected before, I breed a few litters a year keep all the breeding and litter records, all dogs are Microchipped and kept seperated, what else do I need to prepare for. I have been breeding or many years so not sure, I have an appointment with my area rep on thurs. Any input would be great. Thank you.

Sandy

Sorry, I can not offer any advice, but want to wish you
default_luck.gif
You might want to contact AKC, and inquire about what they usually look for.

I can give you a little idea on this but they might do more than what I write. They will inspect all dogs. Checking for health and well being. They will inspect the facilities for cleanliness and they may test for disease. They will want to check your records which must be kept for five full years. They will also most of the time do DNA testing on the dogs for parentage proof.

They will be checking for fresh water and food. How clean the kennels or other areas are as well as how long any feces or anything has been there. So, if you just cleaned before they got there and a pup went over and peed, no big deal but if it has been there for a couple days, you might get fined or cited. That type of thing. They are also checking to make sure the dogs and any puppies have adequate space to run and move around.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, greatly appreciated. All the dogs have a 20 x 10 run (one dog per pen), with auto waters and I must admit I tend ot over feed so they always have food, pens are cleaned daily, I only have 8 total dogs, some do run loose on the property, hoping that wont be an issue. All are micro chipped and DNA'd, all paperwork is up to date and goes back longer than 5 years. All breeding and litter records are filled by dog. Pens are cleaned daily, we have no puppies and have not had any since Dec....no dogs are even bred at this time. It sounds like I should not have anything to worry about which is releiving. And till this day I have never gotten anything from the AKC on what thier requirements are for what they are checking for, have just kind of went off of what I have heard from others...Again thank you!

I think this is why alot of breeders have registered their AKC dogs with APRI registry. They don't inspect. Also I think after you have studed the male I think 6 times they will inspect.

Yes, if you register seven or more litters in one year you can expect an inspection as well. However they do randomly select breeders that register between four and six to inspect too.

But inspections are a good thing, we need to keep people takign good care of these wonderful animals. If it takes being inspected to do that then, great! At least someone is trying to make sure the animals are being well cared for.

I am sure your inspection will go fine though, no worries. You would not be on this forum if you did not care for your animals and take good care of them. It is just part of being here.
default_yes.gif

Minimama,

You said it best, I agree 100%, I think all breeders, horses, dogs alike should be inspected. I think it would help curb alot of the pics we see on tv with 400 dogs stuffed in crates, I believe AKC is the only registry that does practice this idea of inspections. The other registries also do not DNA thier dogs, and they have no breed standards. I will let you all know how it goes, I am prepared for the good and the bad of it. The lady that called was very nice, and I am sure we can work out anything I may be in violation of and if I didn't get an inspection I would not know what I have been or am doing wrong. And if I get fined then I deserve it!

Thanks, Sandy

Sure they don't inspect, They also could care less if a dog is actually a purebred or not.

The fact the AKC inspects breeds has nothing to do with them going to APRI. The fact that those who have turned to APRI were often not breeding purebreds and their dogs registrations revoked due to questionable parentage is why There is an APRI.

No reputable breeder would ever us APRI.

I think this is why alot of breeders have registered their AKC dogs with APRI registry. They don't inspect. Also I think after you have studed the male I think 6 times they will inspect.

Akc inspectors are not bad guys ( I used to co-own a dog with someone who is now an inspector) They are not out to get breeders, They do want to be sure that the dogs are kept in clean, humane environment, and they do want to be sure your paperwork is in order. If your dogs are properly ID. ( so anyone not knowing them could walk in and instantly match dog to paperwork) and your litter paperwork is in order you should be fine.

As to why you may have been chosen,

* 7 litters or more in 12 months

* complaint

* they happen to be in the area inspecting a bigger kennel ( know of 2 folks who were inspected this way)

If by chance you do not have everything in order, they usually give you a chance to fix it without a fine. ( unless the person is being fraudulent.

Minimama,

You said it best, I agree 100%, I think all breeders, horses, dogs alike should be inspected. I think it would help curb alot of the pics we see on tv with 400 dogs stuffed in crates, I believe AKC is the only registry that does practice this idea of inspections. The other registries also do not DNA thier dogs, and they have no breed standards. I will let you all know how it goes, I am prepared for the good and the bad of it. The lady that called was very nice, and I am sure we can work out anything I may be in violation of and if I didn't get an inspection I would not know what I have been or am doing wrong. And if I get fined then I deserve it!

Thanks, Sandy

Wow! I had no idea AKC did inspections. What a GREAT idea. I wonder if the CKC does as well. There are so many puppy farms in small towns near me it is horrifying, mind you most of them are not registered dogs, they are usually poodle crosses and sell for 300-900 apiece. I wish the SPCA would start random inspections of these places, the numbers are easily found in any local Buy and Sell paper.I guess here in Canada tho that would not be allowed by law.
default_no.gif

A friend of mine also has a kennel, they inspected hers and the only thing they told her to do was to put a plastic sleeve on the gate with a picture of the dog and it's name on it or put a collar with it's name on it on each dog. She opted for the plastic sleeve as she doesn't like to leave collars on her dogs when they are unattended.

Of course at the time she had approximately 40 mature dogs. She knew all of them but the inspector told her they need to be easily identified by someone other than herself.

Interesting. I think it's great that they inspect depending on how many litters there are/year. I had no idea. Does anyone know if the Canadian Kennel Club does the same thing? If not, they should. I only produce one litter (two next year) per year, but I'd welcome an inspection; nothing to hide here
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I think it's great that they inspect depending on how many litters there are/year. I had no idea. Does anyone know if the Canadian Kennel Club does the same thing? If not, they should. I only produce one litter (two next year) per year, but I'd welcome an inspection; nothing to hide here
default_wink.png
I don't think the CKC does Matt.
default_no.gif
When I heard about the AKC inspecting breeders I thought it was a great idea too!

~kathryn

Update:

The lady was early, she was very nice, extremely professional, very courteous (sp?) I passed with flying colors she was shocked that my paperwork was correctly in order considering I have never been inspected before, I had all the correct forms filled out and made it very easy for her to go through my past paperwork and current. She said my dog kennels were to die for and she wished that all the dogs she sees everyday had this life, she said all dogs look happy, healthy and beyond freindly....wow.. what a relief, she did not find one thing that I need to change. Thank you to everyone's advice.

Latest posts

Back