Air Suspension Hitches

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
Asking has anyone had any experience with air ride shock system for the trailers goose or bumber pull? We have been looking into a couple of different setups and want a smoother ride for us and the truck...

Thanks,

Jenny

So I take it that nobody here has an air hitch adapter?
default_wacko.png
They are like this...

air safe

Thanks,

Jenny

I've seen them before, but never needed them myself. I've towed a lot of miles with a gooseneck half ton, three quarter ton, and one ton, and never seen the need. I haven't towed beyond a 30' trailer though, nor over 14000lbs.

The only time I've had issues with a half ton tagalong trailer was when I was driving across New York on a very poorly made concrete highway. When the truck was climbing a small uphill concrete pour, the trailer was going downhill the previous one. The entire 100 mile drive was constant see-saw. Only time I ever got carsick while driving. I can't imagine what the poor horse was going through. I don't know if this would have helped, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

To me, with my load, I've found the best thing to add is helper airbag suspension. It really does a great job of softening the rear suspension on the truck. Every truck I've owned from half ton to one ton has had airbags installed (they're about $250, and take two or three hours to install in your garage).

What kind of trailer do you have? And what truck do you tow with? What concerns to you have that suggested that you look into this product?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen them before, but never needed them myself. I've towed a lot of miles with a gooseneck half ton, three quarter ton, and one ton, and never seen the need. I haven't towed beyond a 30' trailer though, nor over 14000lbs.

The only time I've had issues with a half ton tagalong trailer was when I was driving across New York on a very poorly made concrete highway. When the truck was climbing a small uphill concrete pour, the trailer was going downhill the previous one. The entire 100 mile drive was constant see-saw. Only time I ever got carsick while driving. I can't imagine what the poor horse was going through. I don't know if this would have helped, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

To me, with my load, I've found the best thing to add is helper airbag suspension. It really does a great job of softening the rear suspension on the truck. Every truck I've owned from half ton to one ton has had airbags installed (they're about $250, and take two or three hours to install in your garage).

What kind of trailer do you have? And what truck do you tow with? What concerns to you have that suggested that you look into this product?
Hello Nathan,

We have a 2 horse slant Logan Coach Gooseneck and even though it's much lighter than our Trails West 4-horse Gooseneck, it still jars the truck a lot, so we thought getting one for the goose hitch would save a lot of wear and tear on the truck. The truck is a 3/4 ton GMC.

Our grandson drives a lot of odd road trucks and he said he has seen nothing but trouble with the airbag suspensions. He said even if you lower them down when not pulling a load, they tend to do damage to the truck, so we decided against them. Not saying anything against what you have installed in your truck. It's just not something we have decided to do.
default_smile.png

I think we will certainly try one of the more reasonably price air goose hitches and see if it makes a difference with our truck.

Sounds like you have really been around and your information is good to have.

Thank you,

Jenny

Latest posts

Back