Agonizing decision

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read through all of your posts and want to thank each and every one of you for your concern and support. The vet has been called and we have a tentative date set for Friday afternoon. It's supposed to be a nice sunshiney day. I so want her last day to be a nice one. Now the waiting.... I look at her when I feed her and wonder if she knows.....

Thanks again so much. I really appreciate your kindness.

Such a tough decision. We've lost several of our animals over the last year. It's never easy to know when to let go.

Thursday take a couple of pictures of her and hug her a lot. She may not understand, but tell her that you love her and won't let her suffer.

Be strong..what you are doing is out of love for her.

Mike's got the right idea...just have a special time w/her. If she does know, I think she will be grateful. Honestly I have spoken with many elderly humans in her situation and they would love to have that kindness though we know it's a crime it is also a gift to go peacefully in somewhat controlled conditions.

I hope I have the foresight and strength if I am ever placed in this position, which I fear. I don't envy you, but wish you peace in your determination, which you know to be right.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

I still cannot put into words my last day with Amira, but she knew as I was talking to her, i suddenly understood that she knew, and she was totally accepting, and ready.

I sat on her thin bony back- I was the first and the last person to ever do that, I did not ride her, I just sat there and she just stared out over the fields and waited.

I have had many horses put down before and after Amira but she will always be the one I remember.

Lisa...it is the last act of love that you will give to her...{{{{hugs}}}}....it is never easy to say goodbye to those we love.
This says it all. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

You are definitely keeping her around for you...that's totally understandable; it's never easy to say goodbye or to make that decision for a loved one. Of course it will be hard, but it sounds like it's getting hard to watch her "go downhill". Good luck, and a big hug!!!

Latest posts

Back