Again, I am confused....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do want to add something strange. I have noticed today when I brushed her tail that a BUNCH of tail hairs fell out. they all came from the top and they had roots on them. I have noticed her rubbing her bum on the fence. I have never seen so much hair come out at one time.I wasnt pulling just brushing as normal. I looked in and there are a bunch of short broken hairs also.
default_sad.png

Bonny,

Tail rubbing is also very normal when they get closer to foaling. Have you seen her pushing her bumm against a wall like she is using the wall to hold her up?

But, it can also be due to needing to be dewormed. So let me ask, Has she had her vaccines and has been dewormed within the past 6 weeks or so? If so, then the tail rubbing is most likely due to the pressure the foal is putting on her.

She is kept up to date on everything medical. But they both do roll in the sand a bunch and that could be causing irratation I guess.

Never saw her holding a wall up but do see her rubbing.

Hey Bonny,

She's looking great...keep up the good work and with any luck and alot of patience, she will HAVE THAT BABY SOON!
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

I did the milk tasting about every AM/PM with my mare for about a month, and let me tell you it was VERY hard to get myself to do it at first (I won't even drink "regular" cow's milk!) but it was something that I definitely noticed a difference with with my maiden mare. It was MY first time having a mini baby, too, and not all those other changes I was supposed to watch for were a for sure with me (like baby movement, the backside becoming jello, tail losing resistance, vulva getting longer, etc). I would think I knew something and then would question it later - much like what you are going through!

But the first time I tasted (and then spit spit spit) my mare's milk it was incredibly salty - like sea water! As she progressed, it became more and more bland, to the point where the last time I tasted it before she foaled there was zero flavor. It never did get to that sweet stage for me, I think her colustrum started to come in right as she was foaling.

So go ahead and taste that milk and tell us what it's like
default_smile.png
!

Yup, I tasted my mares milk too. I also did not find it got sweet, but it did change from salty to oily and bland and not long after it changed we had a foal. I'll do just about anything when it comes to figuring out when that baby will come.

default_unsure.png
I dont know If I am ready to try that just yet!

First its still not easy to get any milk/ clear fluid from her. When I do its only a few drops. There was a point where I got it to squirt but that was a while back.

I watched her last night and she laid down to rest a lot. I was hoping to go out and see a huge udder and LOL, nope smaller in the am than yesterday.

Reijel's Mom- your right I question myself constantly. I think I see something then I think I made it up.

I dont even know for sure that this mare is this far along. I feel like I have done next to everything possible that I can do to determine if this mare is bred and how far along she is.

I am frustrated and very tired, I dont want to be watching her like this if she isnt due till next Feb or April!

The only option I have left is to let my inexperienced vet rectal US her and I agree that is probably not such a good idea. But I am not sure what else I should do. And he hasnt called back yet, adding to my frustration.

I am sorry to vent.
default_no.gif
I am a nutcase right now. I seriously dont know how yall do this over and over! I really want to say that for me the most frustrating thing is the not knowing when! Now- November, or Feb or April. My Paint mare is due in Feb and at least with her I know when to start watching and that she IS preg & due then!

I did contact wee foal and asked if it was at all possible that the last test I took ( a week ago) could pick up a 75 day gestation, and she said it was possible but was going to send my explanation to Dr Henderson. So with that we could be looking at early gestation bag development.

But what counters that is the wideness of her belly. See how this goes round and round?
default_wacko.png

Hubby is taking me out on a date tonight ( thank goodness) watch her foal while I am gone!
default_laugh.png

Poor Bonny, you're a wreck!!! I totally understand, as I would be the same way.

I'm just sorry there isn't much I can do to help.
default_no.gif

All I can do is verbally support you and tell you, you are doing a FABULOUS JOB!!! Nobody could be doing more for their mare than you!

You have gone above and beyond looking for every bit of information possible!

I'M PROUD OF YOU!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY DO THIS!!!

Hang in there!

Your friend,

Joyce

This is why it is affectionately called mare stare. LOL. You stare at the mare until you think you no longer can, and then stare some more, and as soon as you turn your back to even use the restroom, the mare foals and you missed it! LOL. You know the saying "a watched pot never boils" LOL.

Since her bag started forming, it has not been even a full month. On the average, mares bag 4 to 6 weeks before foaling. That means that some will bag later, others earlier. So until you are well past the 6 week mark, I would not let down my guard. I know it is not helpful for you, but no matter how long it takes, it will be worth the wait. And just think of all that you will have learned. You will know exactly how this mare tends to react when pregnant.

Honestly, I still think she going to foal sooner rather than later according to the best guesses that you have. And yes, her bag can change and be fuller on some days and a little less on others.

Finally, my only other thought is that I wish all horse owners were as vigilant and caring as you are. There are many that would just say that it will happen when it happens and will just let the mare foal in pasture without any concern. Keep up the GREAT work!

Thanks Y'all for the kind words!
default_wub.png

I wish I was as confident in her being almost due.

I have a vet appointment at 1:15. I am going to ask a mini vet breeder to go with me. I just met this person and seems very nice and knowledgeable. He has foaled many mares and been through many rectal US so maybe he can be of some help to the vet.

If he cant go I will try to do it on my own. I realize I am taking a risk. I just pray it goes well.

Its a no go on the vet. Bonny was rearing and thrashing about in the trailer. I was afraid she was going to hurt herself or abort. So I just put her back in the pasture. I guess he will have to come here.

If she goes tonight, then the vet will be out for a foaling exam. Laughs. Either way, it sounds like he will be there tomorrow. Hee Hee.

Wish I could make it easier for you. But it appears that Bonny has other plans and has decided that you should suffer for a while.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png

default_biggrin.png
Me thinks you may be right!
default_yes.gif

UGGG! I'm sorry! Things happen for a reason, I don't know why, but they do.

Bonny, take a DEEEEEEEP breath! NOW ANOTHER!!!!! You'll be ok and so will Bonny.

Do you have a VCR?

to add, I know, I just couldnt pull out the driveway after I got her feet off the rail of the trailer. I was afraid she would do it again.

But its all good vet will come tomorrow!

Will she ride quietly in the trailer with Shy?? My mare doesn't trailer well and she has to ride with someone to comfort her. :DOH!

Great for the Vet!

I have a video to send you! PM me your snail mail address and I will put it in the mail tomorrow morning. I did have the book "blessed are the brood mares but I can't find it ANYWHERE!!! I had completely forgotten about this video that I won on E-bay a while back!!!

Latest posts

Back