After the foal arrives??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
IF the foal ever arrives, I plan on mom and Bbay having private quarters stall and paddock, BUT How LONG do they need to live alone?

Mom misses her herd mates I know she runs out her gate to theres each morning, lol But I want baby safe and old enough to be able to ward of his VERY active 2 yr old sister, lol

So how long before they can be introduced to the herd? and should i introduce 1 hors e aday till they are all together again or??

I typically wait a few days to week to ensure both baby and mom are healthy and bonded. Then I start turning mare/foal pairs out beside each other in adjoining pastures (We split off a bigger pasture into a couple smaller pastures for "nursery" lots) and then usually around 2 weeks or older I start turning pairs out together.. I keep track of who gets along with who when there isn't a foal at their side, and those same mares are typically ok with each other with foals on their side.. And gradually as the foals begin to wander from mom and play, and the moms lose that "overly protective" attitude they all go out together.. I think it's great for foals to be raised in a herd setting, that way they learn the ins and outs of herd life, get the interaction with many other horses and learn to obey the others 'space' etc..

So how long before they can be introduced to the herd? and should i introduce 1 hors e aday till they are all together again or??
I think one every couple days would probably be best IMO, start with your mare's best pal, whoever she gets along great with, put in a nearby pasture/lot to see how she'll react to the other horse and go from there..

Just be careful and watchful when you introduce the pair to another or vice versa, have to make sure all those involved are safe, after waiting and waiting for the little one to arrive hate to have something happen..
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back