After a Long Day...A Short Filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
Saturday was a good friend's wedding. Anyone that's been a bridesmaid to a perfectionist bride knows the process isn't as simple as just standing up at the altar with her, but that's another story for another forum
default_laugh.png
. In any case, I had family stop by to check on the mares a couple times during the day, but when we heard the rain on the roof at the reception I just knew May was going to go. She always foals during a storm! So we left the reception a little early (11pm), and high-tailed it out to the barn where I did bag/butt/vulva checks in my silver shoes and floor-length gown. May was fussy and waxing but not quite ready, so we went home and changed into jeans then came back to the farm (where I spent the next hour taking down my hair - geesh!). She never foals when she thinks I'm around, so we sat in the office and took turns napping and watching. Around 4am she laid down and promptly popped out a little silver black filly. We finally broke the chain of silver bays!

She's about 18" and totally solid. What's really important is that she's healthy, strong and sassy. I thought about giving her a wedding themed name, but she's such a spunky thing I think her registered name is going to be Rock Rivers Charybdis (don't worry, if you're going whaaaat??? you're in the majority). We're calling her Desi for short. Here she is at a few hours old and again this morning showing me what she thinks of my constant pestering...

desiday1.jpg

desiheadday1.jpg

desimay.jpg

desimoon.jpg

Congratulations Tiff!!!

And can't wait to here the full story on the wedding!
laugh.gif

Congratulations. How do you pronounce her name? LOL. I read pedigrees for many sales and that is always my first thought when an unusual name crops up.

Thanks everybody! I think it'll be a while before I have the energy to rehash the wedding, but I'm always happy to talk horses.
default_biggrin.png
Desi's dam is nine this year, and from her all the way up to our two 2009 fillies our homebred foals have all been silver bays, so this will be the first year in a decade when I won't have a silver bay foal (the other two crosses I'm waiting on have no silver).

Charybdis is pronounced kuh-rib-diss. In Greek mythology she was a daughter of Poseidon that manifested herself as a man-eating whirlpool. Something tells me it's not a name that's going to be copied much.

She is very nice , and boy she looks strong, and healthy, thats great. So what did you do with the 16 thousand bob pins that were glued into your hair? I have been spotted many times by the local goat and sheep farmers in a formal gown quickly running into the stall with an armfull of hay. I can imagine those silver shoes with poop on the sides of them...
biggrin.gif

So what did you do with the 16 thousand bob pins that were glued into your hair? I have been spotted many times by the local goat and sheep farmers in a formal gown quickly running into the stall with an armfull of hay. I can imagine those silver shoes with poop on the sides of them...
biggrin.gif
I put them in my teeny tiny silver purse and was happy to finally have a use for it.
default_laugh.png
I have to admit, I was tempted to drop in and give the horses some snacks between the wedding and the reception, but I think the bride would have choked me if I'd come to the reception with hay in my hair and poop on my shoes.

Congratulations, Tiff!!!

Desi is a very lovely filly.

(Sure does look like she has Lots of Spunk.
default_biggrin.png
)

Back