Last foal arrived!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
I had only been asleep maybe an hour last night when the Breeder Alert went off. Figuring my last mare due was sleeping again, (and really isnt due for another week or 10 days) I glanced at the monitor and holy cow, she was in labor. During foaling season I sleep in a t shirt and shorts or sweats, and leave my shoes where I can literally 'run into them' on the way out the back door. I flew, but by the time I got out the door, baby was already born and the sack did not break. AUGH!! It was laying right by the gate so I just reached through and ripped the sack off it's head and ran my hand down the face to help with any fluid in the sinuses. The mare was excited about the foal so jumped up immediately and spun around- and broke the placenta -instead of letting the extra blood go to the baby, it went all over the ground.

I treated the naval- oh boy, is this ANOTHER filly??!!! She is awfully dinky!

To make a long story short, and a long night.... baby was pretty weak and took a long time to be able to stand... then fell back down and just wanted to sleep. Not much energy. I gave her some colostrum, and gave mama some banamine as she seemed to want to spend more time down than up- and that seemed to help. After a while she was nursing on her own. Yeah!! But just rather weak and not real coordinated. It has taken her a few hours to do what the previous foals did in one or two.

She is still unfolding of course, and trying to get her legs under her,but she is eating well and showing more energy. It looks kind of funny... the big leggy silver dapple filly and her smallish mama are in the next stall. This new mama is my biggest mare and has the tiniest baby- 19.5". It looks like someone traded foals and has them with the wrong mare!

She looks nothing like her full brother born last year, in fact, doesnt look like any foals this mare has had. Doesnt look like her daddy either.... (talking about her head, etc....) but I do truly believe she is a little early. This is the mare that was waxing up heavily from early Friday til Sunday p.m.

I think she is a black but could be a black bay or something.... or fading black?? She has a huge star and the weirdest white streak or heavy roaning, really on the top of her back in a stripe at the base of her mane. Pepe Le Pew?? Doesnt she know to put the Appy white on her REAR? LOL

Well, foaling season here is done... I can't believe four foals in one week. I have had about an hour and a half or maybe two hours of sleep last night, so will try to take a nap today! Had to call in to work. We have a storm front moving in, so it is cloudy and possible chance of rain but very cool today. Moved in yesterday p.m. so glad it's not 90 again today.

Ok, I am so tired and just babbling now... LOL Here are a couple of quick pics of the newest arrival...

I think in this first pic you can see that funny white stripe on her back

NutmegBobfillyL42110.jpg

NutmegBobfillyRF7hrs2010.jpg

NutmegBobfillyface7hrs2010.jpg

She is a cutie. I love the big star. Our first foal was a slow starter like that, born with slight difficulty, but tiny and the cord broke prematurely. There was a lot of blood until we got the hemostats on the cord (all foaling kits should have one). I hope that she really picks up in a day or two!

Congratulations! She's pretty darn cute. I think "apple" should be part of her name, as at least right now her big, beautiful star looks a bit like an apple.

CONGRATULATIONS, nice to end on a good note,

and a filly, mine are all that tiny and less...
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I noticed the first pic makes her look like she has no neck, haha... she really does. She is doing much better and more active now... still not quite what I would expect, but okay and eating really well. This is the first time EVER since I started breeding in the mid 90's that I have EVER gotten fillies like this. I think I had gone about 4 years in a row with nothing but colts, but this is certainly a first.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

I am sure in a day or so she will be up to par and racing around like the other two.

You must keep us posted on if that white back stripe stays there.

She looks like a non fading jet black to me!

I know NOTHING about appys though.

wub.gif
She's lovely!

I hope she continues to gain in strength. And it looks like you ended the season on a high note. Now for sleep!
laugh.gif

Congratulations Laurie! All of your fillies are darling, and yes, wow, FILLIES for a change huh? Awesome! I can't wait to see how the fillies mature. Congrats again, and get some sleep.
default_smile.png

many congratulations on your new baby - enjoy your sleep!!

Anna

Back