Aerocrown and kicking strap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Maybe folks with Aerocrowns can chime in.. My Aerocrown is being built and I wondered about having a loop put on the shafts to run the kicking strap through so it doesn't slide. Does this make sense and has anyone done it?

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it makes a lot of sense. I don't have the loop there yet...but am going to pick up a couple of them soon. I think it will make is much "tidier" looking as well.

I don't really think you'd need loops on the shafts for a kicking strap. I've used kicking straps and they seem to be just fine loose on the shafts.

Andrea

Andrea, even with the curved shafts like the Aerocrown you found it didn't slide? I use one now on my carts with regular straight shafts and it is fine, but with the angle of the shafts on the Aero I wondered if it'd slide back.

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
My Itebte cart has curved shafts and I can't imagine having a loop on the shaft for the kicking strap. A kicking strap is not supposed to be tight, it is quite loose. If you had a loop on the shafts to hold it, it would most likely hold the strap up not giving it a neat appearance since the excess would have to go somewhere. The kicking strap pretty much hangs down so there is nothing for it to slide on and when your horse bucks it goes tight with the weight of the cart and you that it doesn't have time to slide. Or at least this has been my experience and I always use one, as "Shay" tends to get a bit frisky in the cones course. I hope this made sense, sometimes what I say doesn't type out the same.

Donna

I know the Aerocrown shafts curve upwards a bit but I think that the kicking strap wouldn't be affected too much by it. I think they would just adjust a bit shorter than on straight shafts, but because the kicking strap runs through the spider (or back by the crupper, depending on the style you have) it shouldn't really go very far and should be fitted enough to do its job, should it be required. As long as it's not slipping around on top of the harness, the shape or curvature of the shafts shouldn't affect it. If you're worried about it though, the loops certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Andrea

drivin*me*buggy said:
Andrea, even with the curved shafts like the Aerocrown you found it didn't slide? I use one now on my carts with regular straight shafts and it is fine, but with the angle of the shafts on the Aero I wondered if it'd slide back.
Angie
In my experience it doesn't slide back, it slides forward up the shaft which gives it too much slack to hold the horse's rump down. Yes, I've had a problem with it. Yes, I think a loop might help. The kicking strap really should hang straight down whether it's over the rump (as mine is) or in front of the crupper so be aware it might need to be much longer than usual to reach the bend of the shaft down below their stifle. I know mine tries to slide up the angled shafts of the Hyperbike so I'm always trying to secure it behind the stirrups or footman's loops or whatever is handy.

I think if I were you I'd wait to get the cart and see if you have an issue with it. If you do, spray paint a couple of footman's loops black and install them wherever you want. That way you can make sure they're out of sight when the shafts are rotated to fit your particular horse. It'll only take about five minutes.

Leia

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to hold off and try it out, then maybe do as Leia suggests and add the footman's loops for it later if I need it. My trace carriers and longer kicking strap arrived today
default_smile.png

Angie

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to hold off and try it out, then maybe do as Leia suggests and add the footman's loops for it later if I need it. My trace carriers and longer kicking strap arrived today
default_smile.png

Angie
Hey angie, where did you get your trace carriers? I am using little leather dog collars...

I want to order a longer kicking strap too, we took mine off for now. Adair

Hi Adair,

I got my mini trace carriers and a pony sized kicking strap from Sandee at Iowa Valley Carriage. Very happy with both of them...I have had my min sized kicking strap from her for a few years but knew I'd need a longer one for the Aerocrown.

Angie

Back