Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondShadowRanch

Reaction score
So, I'm a teenager, I spend most of my time outdoors, with my boyfriend, or taking pictures (Hoping to become a photographer). I am considering selling my Paint mare, and buying this colt. I just don't have the interest in big-horses as much as I used to, I know how to ride, but I have nobody to ride with, and can't handle riding alone, and none of my mares are registered, so I can't do any showing with them (I bought a registered QH filly, she was WILD, so I traded her for an unregistered "purebred" who is most likely a cross, probably draft).

I've owned miniatures in the past, so I know what they are like; stubborn, quirky, playful, and incredibly smart. He's a 2011 colt, silver dapple tobiano, $1,200. I've grown up my whole life with horses, and haven't went a day in about 10 years without owning at least one horse. I've always wanted a silver dapple tobiano, especially a minimal one like him. He seems to be of pretty good quality, but could use a nicer head in my opinion. I wouldn't be using him for breeding, just as a fun colt to spend time with and love on.

My neighbors have ponies, and I desperately want to go spend time with them, but my neighbors are "different", so I avoid going outdoors so they don't talk to me (I've had the one come over and yell at me for "leaving the gate open" when I hadn't been out in 3 days, and the other come ask to watch movies with us IN OUR HOUSE).

Opinions please on what I should do. I really do like this colt. I miss having ponies

His name is Tatum
wub.gif
and he is registered

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
Hes very cute hard to say when there babys but his parents look nice

Should grow up to be a handsome boy....congrats

I think he has a beautiful head !!! I rode horses for well over forty years , for a few years I kept both large and small horses but found my greatest love is with the minis so but sold my last sport hoirse about 3 years ago , I dont miss it at all and am very happy with my life as it is
default_biggrin.png

just one thing ...couldnt you buy two minis and geld them , one colt on his own would live a life of loneliness and frustration and if youre not going to breed why not make them as happy and content as you can , Ive found that minis seem to need the company of others more so than the big ones

another bonus ....you will get double the fun
default_biggrin.png

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will learn a lot here. However, one IMPORTANT rule is that you may NOT post pictures of horses you do not own and ask for opinions of them. It COULD lead to someone posting negative comments about the horse and causing hard feelings. Maybe not in most cases, but possible.

You can ask for people to email you privately then send the pictures directly to them, but not post them on the forum.

Good luck.

So cute! congrats on your mini but you know there are little shows like saddle clubs that doesnt care if your horse is registered or not. We do the saddle clubs and all mine are registered we just dont hardly ever do registered shows due to its so far to drive to go to one. Depending on what your big horse does but if you run barrels check out NBHA they dont care if horse is registered also there are local team penning,little britches rodeos and many others out there that doesnt care if horse is registered. It just depends on what your horse does but if you look you will find something. Just giving a suggestion

I think he's cute ! ( I would try and dicker on the price though).

I think he has a beautiful head !!! I rode horses for well over forty years , for a few years I kept both large and small horses but found my greatest love is with the minis so but sold my last sport hoirse about 3 years ago , I dont miss it at all and am very happy with my life as it is
default_biggrin.png

just one thing ...couldnt you buy two minis and geld them , one colt on his own would live a life of loneliness and frustration and if youre not going to breed why not make them as happy and content as you can , Ive found that minis seem to need the company of others more so than the big ones

another bonus ....you will get double the fun
default_biggrin.png
Oh I would love to, but that would mean selling 2 horses for 2 minis, and I couldn't part with my 2 other girls, they are my "bigger loves". Where he would be staying with me, there are other horses, so he wouldn't be too lonely. My past miniature gelding, Cody, after his half-brother passed away, seemed to take a great liking to our big-horse gelding Bilcody, (was a stud as a yearling, gelded him the next summer), and they would play all day, and were definitley best friends. Cody was also the one I was a mix about his colour with, mom was a silver dapple tobi, dad was either a grey or light palomino. He's like a silver smokey black.

*and not fighting playing, actual playing. Chasing one-another around, bucking, crowhopping, just being crazy!*

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will learn a lot here. However, one IMPORTANT rule is that you may NOT post pictures of horses you do not own and ask for opinions of them. It COULD lead to someone posting negative comments about the horse and causing hard feelings. Maybe not in most cases, but possible.

You can ask for people to email you privately then send the pictures directly to them, but not post them on the forum.

Good luck.
Sorry about that, I will email him right away asking permission to use them, for now, I'll take off the pictures and just keep the site link

How to haggle? Ask him if he'd consider $800 or $900 instead. Whichever your comfortable with...he'll probably either say a ) yes! or b ) well, how about $1000? or c ) no, my $1200 is firm.

You won't know until you ask!

I think he is very pretty. Maybe you will decide to do some showing with him I do think that if he is only going to be a pet though, there are many very nice horses around that are much less then 1200$. Rescue horses also.

Barb

If you have no interest in showing your mini, does it have to be registered? You can find many unregistered minis for about $200, or CMHR had a few registered horses recently, some that were even show horses. I personally wouldn't pay $1200 for a weanling in this economy, but you could try to haggle the price.

Also, It is dangerous to have miniature horses living out with your big horses, you will need to keep them separate. One playful kick from a big horse is right at head level, and many forum members have lost horses this way.

Its something that's fine, until its not, and when its not, its usually dead.

How to haggle? Ask him if he'd consider $800 or $900 instead. Whichever your comfortable with...he'll probably either say a ) yes! or b ) well, how about $1000? or c ) no, my $1200 is firm.

You won't know until you ask!
I know what haggling means, I was I was just wondering if that is what she meant, since I've never heard someone use "dicker on the price" all together before
laugh.gif

If you have no interest in showing your mini, does it have to be registered? You can find many unregistered minis for about $200, or CMHR had a few registered horses recently, some that were even show horses. I personally wouldn't pay $1200 for a weanling in this economy, but you could try to haggle the price.

Also, It is dangerous to have miniature horses living out with your big horses, you will need to keep them separate. One playful kick from a big horse is right at head level, and many forum members have lost horses this way.

Its something that's fine, until its not, and when its not, its usually dead.
If I do purchase him, I will keep him either alone until I can get another, or with other miniatures at my neighbors (we rent a smaller house on their property) with their conscent. Below are my neighbors two ponies, both geldings. King is the black one, Gizmo is the unknown colour (bay dun?) He has a mealy coloured muzzle, buckskin points, light coloured flank, dorsal stripe. Both are incredibly obese due to spending most of their time chowing down on summer grass without being exercised at all. They're very cute, but badly behaved.

Also, if there is a chance that there might actually be a show around here, I would love to show in a halter class. Around here, there are lots of horse people, but they do NOTHING fun with them. Once a year at the fall-fair you can go enter in Gymkhana, barrel racing, and halter classes (posibly halter?) but other then that, there's nothing to do all year unless you travel hours and hours away.

werase 048.JPG

I said dicker. Does that sound funny
default_biggrin.png
Shows my age ? LOL

I would offer a little less for him if you want to buy him, just a thought
default_wink.png

I said dicker. Does that sound funny
default_biggrin.png
Shows my age ? LOL

I would offer a little less for him if you want to buy him, just a thought
default_wink.png
Once the owner replies, I will give him an offer of $850 or so for the colt since there is transportation costs too, and I am only selling my Paint mare for $2,500 (I know it's a high price, but transportation will be higher)

Back