ADVICE PLEASE...im thinking of gelding my stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane

Reaction score
well heres the long and short of it, where i am at the minuite is no good, so weve took the plunge and we are moving to a house with land,out the back so i can have my horses on my property!!!! :aktion033:

i have got two horse a mare and a stallion, and my mare is expecting a foal in july,

heres my question

a friend is taking my mare {thank god} to foal her out for me on grass, soooooo while she was away i was thinking that would be the best time to geld Twinkle? so he would have a few months to recuperate plus his hormones would go away by the time my mare returns....is this the right time to geld him?

also when i geld him, because im building bigger stables, should i build one big stable for the then gelding and mare to share eventually? or three separate stables?

i will also be gelding the foal, im 99% sure .............if its a colt

default_rolleyes.gif
:

ive a lot to think about so i thought id ask you all what you thought, its been a really hard decision to Geld Twinkle but im 99% its the right choice, its just when?

THANKS GUYS
default_wub.png
:

It's never a wrong decision to geld a stallion, and it's never too early
default_smile.png

You sound like you are on the right track, gelding the stallion so he can recuperate while your mare is gone, and you can give him some TLC and attention, too.

If you have the ability to build three separate stalls for each horse, I would do that. It is best for each horse to have it's own stall (in my opinion) if they can still see each other and maybe be turned out together, because every now and then a horse has a dominance issue (what if the filly/colt your mare has never gets along with the gelded stallion?) it will beat up the other horse unnecessarily and you will risk injury possibly, PLUS the best thing is that each horse would get its own food, so you can monitor their weight to be healthiest. If you have a VERY LARGE pasture area they might do okay in together but you wouldn't have the opportunity to feed/grain each specialized amounts.

Yes, it's tough to decide to geld a stallion, but once you decide it's for the best, it's always a great decision. Stallions that can't breed a lot of mares like they want to are generally sad stallions. He will be much happier as a gelding, and much easier to live with and much easier for him to be social with your other two.

Good luck!

Andrea

In the past, I have had young horses gelded and also two of my former show stallions. I never have regretted it, however, in the case of my two former show stallions, I thought about it for over a year before I did it. I would not ever discourage anyone from gelding a horse, but do just want to say think about it and be 100% sure before you have it done. In the case of one of the horses, Triple H Derby Day Miracle, there was a point in my life where I could not imagine choosing to have him gelded but as life and the herd unfolded, it was the right choice all around. He's a nice horse, but with the two newer stallions I was able to aquire, I knew I would not be "using" Derby on my mares. But, I sure do love having him around as a loving pet and performance horse.

Latest posts

Back