Advice needed! Adding 3 minis to our single horse home!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whispering_Pines

Reaction score
Posted Today, 06:55 PM

i bought 2 tiny minis today under 30 inches and a 35 inch driving/riding horse. I only have Ginny,remember who is due to foal soon. How do I go about this. I have completely separated their pens, they can't touch noses, the closest they ever can get is 10 feet in one corner. Any suggestions? I'm very nervous. The one little mini has some eye drainage, her eyes aren't red, bright, how would you treat that. The owner said she's always had it. Thank you for your help..

I know people must buy new horses all the time, but its scary!

Val

You already have them separate, that is good, and they should stay that way for at least 3 weeks (if any of hte new ones have something brewing it'll show up in 3 weeks, so your current mini should stay healthy with the separation). Feed and work with your resident mini first, then feed and work with the new comers; wash your hands thoroughly when you are done so you are ready for the next session (ideally, boots should be cleaned too, but that isn't always possible).

Once they are ready to be moved closer or in together, if you have adjoining pens that would probably be best, so you can see how they'll interact before putting them in together. And, regardless, there will probably be some squabbling while they establish a pecking order.

And, congrats on the new additions.

Back