Adding 3 minis to our home..ADVICE PLEASE.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whispering_Pines

Reaction score
i bought 2 tiny minis today under 30 inches and a 35 inch driving/riding horse. I only have Ginny remember who is due to foal soon. How do I go about this. I have completely separated their pens, they can't touch noses, the closest they ever can get is 10 feet in one corner. Any suggestions? I'm very nervous. The one little mini has some eye drainage, her eyes aren't red, bright, how would you treat that. The owner said she's always had it. Thank you for your help..

I would talk to a vet about the eye drainage for the one mini. Congrats on your new minis! Good luck with them. I think its good that you have them separated, but once they're used to each other separated, you can try putting them together (if none are stallions of course). They might fight a little bit, but thats how all horses are. I bought a gelding last Sep. and my other gelding did NOT like the changes and it took a while for them to get used to eachother, but a few minor cuts and one knocked out tooth later, they finally get along very well. Those were big horses so I don't think it should be much of a problem with mini's. Anyway, again, congrats and good luck =)

Edit:

I just read it again. Are you worried because Ginny is pregnant? What gender are the new mini's? I would keep the two separated from Ginny since she is close to foaling. You wouldn't want to take chances of her getting kicked and risk a miscarriage etc. After the foal is born, I would keep them separated. When its time for weaning, you could move the new mini's with Ginny and the foal to a separate pasture where the mom can't see. I don't know much about foals etc. but I hope this helped the least bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back