Single Mini... Okay with the other horses nearby or does he need a buddy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minirocky

Reaction score
So, Mac (my 14 year old mini) was originally intact for the first year, and he was rather stallion-like so he got to stay in his run by himself. He's now been gelded for a year and has really not retained any studdy qualities - pretty excited.

He gets four full sized horses in the barn at night or day, depending on the seasonal turnout we do. He can't necessarily see them all the time, but can hear them and smell them. He doesn't scream or holler, and doesn't seem to have any sleep problems due to this. But, I can't help but feel he needs a buddy.

I'm not sure what to do. His previous owner told me he would savagely try to attack another mini stallion when he was intact, but that doesn't really surprise me as it's stallion behavior, pint sized or not. Now he can touch noses with a mare in heat and he just goes back to his hay.

My dad says no, but I will eventually be moving out (renting a room from them right now until I get a downpayment on a house). He'd have to live 3 more years by himself if I can't convince them to let me add one. Will he be okay?

I have read studies which showed that horses are GREATLY happier if they KNOW others of their species are nearby... They don't have to be able to touch or even see them.

Your guy is fine.

My quarter horse has aggressive issues and has never been pastured with another horse in his life.

He shares a fence line with the minis and they visit but he can't touch them. When they go up the hill and he can't see them its ok because he knows they are around and he'll see them later.

If you mean he's in a stall in the barn and can't see the others because of the height of the walls, please by all means lower a wall so he is not confined and can see out

His pen is solid on the sides but looks like a wooden fence in the front, allowing him to see the horse across from him.

I think ideally they are happier if they can touch and groom another mini but they can learn to adapt and can cope without as long as they can see and smell them

Rabbit could never go in with others- like Mart's Sonny, although he was the easiest horse to handle something just snapped when he was out with others- mares, gelding, stallions it made NO difference. But he would have been heartbroken to have been without company. I finally had him in a roundpen, inside the mares field. He could run the fence, buck, play and stick his head through at one point too. He was a happy bunny! Very occasionally you might come across a horse that is OK on it's own but the norm is for them to seek out company. I have to say that, as you are forewarned that he fought before, gelding will not necessarily have changed that bit, you need to proceed with extreme caution- I would start by making his stall sides into slats above a certain height.

I kept my Mini by himself for about 7 months and he seemed bored and unhappy by himself. But then a bought a mare and now he's as happy as can be. To me I don't think horses are happy unless there with other horses. Because they are herd animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your dad allows it, I was thinking along the lines of rabbitsfizz and Marty in that opening up the sides somehow, if possible, would allow more visibility. Renting from your family can be a wonderful opportunity, but sometimes it can be hard on both parties too!

Life is most often a bit of a compromise and it sounds like your little guy is in a horse friendly environment and your family is willing to accomodate him safely.

Horses are very adaptable and if he has a routine that includes walks, grooming, and other interactions on the leadline, or off, he should do fine.

Thanks for your thoughts! Yes, my parents are amazing to let me rent from them, but it does come with it's own set of issues. ;)

Dad is vetoing anything, so that does limit it.

Sadly, we cannot convert anything on the sides. We worked hard to put the two sides up. ;)

He currently has quite a big fenced in area right off of his stall, so he can see the neighbor's Standardbred there as well, and whatever is going on. And the area in the front really lets him see what goes on there. There are two stalls on either side, the solid walls with bars halfway up so he usually has one buddy on one side he can hear and smell.

I still feel like he needs a buddy, but it does make sense about him possibly attacking another mini. I would definitely watch and easily rehome if that were the case (the other mini, of course - Mac is here to stay!) but it looks like it will be several years. It sounds like he was completely by himself for several years before I purchased him, since they did not use him for breeding. He couldn't see them other than when he escaped and tried to attack the other mini through the stall.

Your fenced area sounds nice, that way he is outside and can keep up with the neighborhood news ;) He also sounds like one blessed little mini - you are all keeping him healthy and working to keep him happy.

I'm not sure from your post if he has free choice inside/outside, but if not, would a radio be an idea for part of the time he is in the stall?

Also, horses can't tell time - I don't think - even if they have an amazing sense of routine - especially chowtime - so Mac is living one day at a time and probably enjoying most of it.

Good idea for all of us, but we aren't as good at as the horses!

Enjoy Mac and the opportunity to save for both of your futures!

Thanks so much! I do try to give Mac the best opportunities I can. I've taken him to a Dan James clinic to work on liberty work and he was so much fun!

248151_4885332487519_749474388_n.jpg

253198_4885340847728_1739383642_n.jpg

182538_4885329887454_987428261_n.jpg

He has unlimited access in and out of his little run unless there is pretty nasty weather. Usually it works out that the standardbred is out when our horses are out, and vice versa, so he always has someone in the general area. He seems pretty okay with it. When he was still intact, we couldn't put him directly next to the other horses, because he would constantly pace, holler and run. Since he got his run-in, we haven't tried but I might give him a few days of the week out in a safe paddock next to them. He's an extremely easy keeper now that he's gelded, and the run he'll be in is stone dust so he at least won't overindulge and founder or something.

I see the bow in his tail. That either is a warning that he kicks, or you like bows in the tail.

I like bows in the tail too. That makes us friends.
default_frusty.gif

Hehe, he doesn't kick - he has a tail that drags the ground and so I used baling twine to keep it up. It's an old saddlebred trick.

485455_10100460963173383_293844636_n.jpg

934959_10100461439608603_768072927_n.jpg

179580_10100461441669473_528613816_n.jpg

But it is a pretty baling twine bow! So I would love to be friends. ;)

LOVE the tail! My old boy always had his tail dragging on the floor- I used to plait it up like that too, Happy days!

What a cutie pie and the tail is so neat! I've used baling twine for a lot of things, but never anything that pretty!

With all of your hard work and clinics he is not only stylish but will be very educated!

Thanks! I love playing with this little guy. He is just such a neat boy. He was so cool doing the clinic. Would love to have him do even more!

Maggie has been the only mini since I moved to VA. She is in with Dyfra and the mini goats..... her and Dyfra have been together a longggg time. But at some point, I really want to get Maggie a buddy.
Even at her age... she loves to run and play...

But if you have an horse aggressive to others, they will do ok being in their own pasture, if they can see other animals. Some times a goat the same size as ones Mini will do as a buddy.

I have never actually seen Mac interact with another horse, since I won't let him out with my full sized guys and it was hard enough to get him. I'd probably have a better chance of getting another mini than a goat, lol!

So, I got the opportunity to help rehome one very adorable chestnut overo mini. He's 38", 6 inches over Mac. Pretty docile and used to being the very bottom of the herd and bossed around.

Patchy comes home in March! So I need to figure out how to introduce them safely.

Great. My solo mini experiment didn't go as well as I expected and I am lucky I got my boy his buddy back. I think your choice sounds great.

Introductions are always a bit scary. Hopefully your boy will be so glad he has a horse buddy..he will play nice. Photos of new baby when you can post so we can all enjoy seeing. Take care. Sounds like a wise choice. Minis are like potato chips.. hard to just have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back