Adventures!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A totally wonderful day! He looks so relaxed yet engaged, definitely ready for the big time!

BTW, does everyplace in Texas allow horses in to shop? 😂 I’m SO jealous!🤣

Nope, he didn’t have any boots on and he didn’t slip at all.….but he is so laid back and doesn’t move very fast 🤣 I’ve ordered some boots for him, Thunder’s nor Shadows fit him 😝

I called Target before I went shopping there and asked if pets on leashes were allowed, they said YES, so I didnt ask anymore questions🤣 It is Texas, I’m sure horses are allowed everywhere🤣😍….I even called Kohl’s too and they said YES LOL 💕

Today Sodapop went to our favorite park for the first time!
1633913380191.png

1633913409550.png

She of course had to lay down after spending a few hours grazing nearby while we fished, and had to get her nap in! I am always in awe of how happy she is to just lay down, sprawl out, and nap in new places.

I am working up the nerve to try out first real public outing. Perhaps I will bring her with me to the post office sometime this week, or do a short shopping trip.

Great pics! Looks like y’all had a nice relaxing day! 😍 Her halter looks so cute on her!!

Im sure she’ll do great on her “first real public outing.” And you’ll do great too!😘😘 can’t wait to hear all about it.

Stormy Visits Morada

Stormy visited Morada, a senior assisted living facility, for his very first time. Their residents were such a joy and Stormy loved all of them! Stormy acted like an old pro, he carried himself around like he had been doing this for years. He was as cool as a cucumber, so calm and patient with everyone. I would show him who to visit and he would nuzzle his little nose up to them, such a ham! One lady begged us, “PLEASE come back and visit us again!” Another lady was so excited coming out the front door to see Stormy that her wheelchair almost got away from her. A few people didn’t want to pet Stormy but that’s ok, he didn’t take it personally. We were invited back and we now plan to make Morada a monthly visit!

One of the sweet residents:
7673C898-81DC-4C1C-B6FC-8E50EA533C25.jpeg

Stormy Visits Morada

Stormy visited Morada, a senior assisted living facility, for his very first time. Their residents were such a joy and Stormy loved all of them! Stormy acted like an old pro, he carried himself around like he had been doing this for years. He was as cool as a cucumber, so calm and patient with everyone. I would show him who to visit and he would nuzzle his little nose up to them, such a ham! One lady begged us, “PLEASE come back and visit us again!” Another lady was so excited coming out the front door to see Stormy that her wheelchair almost got away from her. A few people didn’t want to pet Stormy but that’s ok, he didn’t take it personally. We were invited back and we now plan to make Morada a monthly visit!

One of the sweet residents:
View attachment 44771
Oh how wonderful. I bet they won't stop talking about Stormy 🥰

Question @Kelly , how did you set up the appointment to visit the nursing home? Did you go through an agency or do it on your own? I hope to get Sodapop to the point where she can visit, but there is only one place nearby that tests horses to become therapy animals, and they require them to be at least a year old.

I already know Sodapop is fine with wheelchairs/walkers/shakey movements/oxygen/ect, because she's grown up around all those things (other than oxygen, but she's met a few people on oxygen already). I also know she is solid on her ground manners, and enjoys meeting new people even if she prefers grass even more. 😂 She'll occasionally whinny at people to try getting their attention to come say hi, something we're working on not doing while she's vested lol.

If you can just do it independently, that would be amazing and would open up the ability to visit places sooner. I'm very knowledgeable with service animal stuff, but not as knowledgeable on therapy animals lol.

Stormy looks like a professional! I'm sure that he will make loads of people happy. :) I wish we lived closer so he could give Sodapop lessons on visiting with people; she seems to learn best from other animals lol.

Question @Kelly , how did you set up the appointment to visit the nursing home? Did you go through an agency or do it on your own?

Last week were drove by Morada and saw several residents sitting outside. I said to my hubby, “Hey look! A senior living facility!” He said, “I don’t think my parents are ready to live somewhere like that yet.” While I was smacking him in the head (not really) I said, “no silly, the ponies could visit the residents there.” 🤣🤣

So when I got home I called them up and spoke to the activities director. She put me on the calendar and we were good to go. I don’t belong to any sort of therapy group, although I think that would be really cool too. I don’t have any special insurance, just a few special horses 😍 I did it independently, so the only test Stormy had was the ones I could give him and of course he passed 🤣

Stormy hadn’t really had any “practice” with wheelchairs or walkers, just bikers and grocery carts. He has seen lots of different things though. We just kinda winged it 😁 thankfully he is so calm, he did great! Really I think ALL my little boys could handle it, they have all been out and about and have seen so much.

Now I’m thinking about taking him to some schools, but still trying to figure that out in my head. Im just imagining screaming kiddos running around everywhere. 🤪 I would love to take him to a children’s hospital, but I’m not sure exactly how that would work either. Most children hospitals want you to be part of a therapy group... but maybe I’ll get lucky one of these days and will find a smaller one who won’t care.… or maybe I’ll join a therapy group… IDK.

We meet this guy a while back and he invited us to a trunk-or-treat at his church. Hopefully we can make it, you never know who we will meet… a teacher, maybe a nurse??… and I mean real ones, not ones in costume 🤣

We have gone to nursing homes several times. The first time I called and asked if they would like to have us. Then they generally call me for followup visits.
A couple of things to be alert to is make sure residents don't offer treats. A little nibble could be bad with their thin skin.
Schools are fine. The students are generally in an audience, not running around. They usually come up to fondle in an orderly way. One time we were a visitor when the students were studying the letter H. Lots of H things on a horse! Answer questions very simply. Dapper Dan usually drops so the students want to know "what's that?" I just answer, "oh, he's a boy horse" and it's no big deal.hobartnursinghome.jpgmidnight at head start.jpg
Preschools are a little harder, as attention spans are short. Generally just handing out a brush or allowing stroking is enough. If you are outdoors and there is a playground, there might be some pieces that you can interact with the children. Twice, autistic children have amazingly connected with Dapper Dan.
Midnight has made a mess both times I took her to the nursing home. Didn't seem to faze the workers, but it's nice if the horse is tidy.

This all sounds like so much fun!! 😍 Hopefully I can contact a few places and see if we can visit anybody nearby. We have a few nursing home type areas. :D If you make it to that trunk-and-treat event, share pictures if you can!

And to be honest Marsha, dropping is why I decided to go with a filly. Ponyboy, my service dog, has a command to stop licking himself in public, but we've already had so many curious kids and embarrassed parents struggling to explain things to their kids, or rather, find ways NOT to explain things to their kids. 😂😅 Maybe the next horse I get will be a gelding, I hear so many good things about them.

This all sounds like so much fun!! 😍 Hopefully I can contact a few places and see if we can visit anybody nearby. We have a few nursing home type areas. :D If you make it to that trunk-and-treat event, share pictures if you can!

And to be honest Marsha, dropping is why I decided to go with a filly. Ponyboy, my service dog, has a command to stop licking himself in public, but we've already had so many curious kids and embarrassed parents struggling to explain things to their kids, or rather, find ways NOT to explain things to their kids. 😂😅 Maybe the next horse I get will be a gelding, I hear so many good things about them.
Dont overthink. Children are pretty simple. They accept simple, straightforward answers very easily.

Our adventures yesterday! We took our ladies to the ocean for the first time. 🥰 The sand was far too soft and deep so I don't know if we will go back. They weren't a fan of the water, but they were good babies.

20211016_095902.jpg
20211016_103206.jpg
20211016_100120.jpg

And our friend from Massachusetts is visiting and she's an equine massage therapist so she gave Honeybee a massage afterwards.

It was the most relaxed Bee has ever been after a massage. If anyone is near southeastern MA needs a masseuse, A-OK Equine is the best! You can find her on FB.

20211016_171327.jpg

Attachments

• 20211016_171827.jpg
    20211016_171827.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back