Adequan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
I have a 19 year old mare that seems very still on the front legs..I had the farrier look at her..thought she might have a mild founder...But the farrier told me her hoofes are fine..he said comes from the joints. So I

thought I might try adequan instead of Synovi. Has anybody tried it on minis? Is it the same dosage as Big Horses? Or maybe we could get away with a BIG dog dose? Is the dog adequan the same?

I will talk to my vet on Monday..just trying to get aa headstart
default_smile.png

Thanks!! :saludando: :saludando:

Christine, I have used Adequan for my Inky who has arthritis. To start it was weekly into the muscle and then monthly. It has helped up until now when I think she will need to be put down soon. She is 21 years old and her two front legs are the worst. Hope it helps yours.

Joyce'

Christine I swear by Adequan. I have used it many times on the quarter horses, well the vet, not me. This is heavy duty stuff. Good stuff. It's pretty much what I would turn to when I am in big trouble and all else has failed.

I have used it on a mare that blew her hocks out spinning and sliding associated with reining. I also used a round of it on Sonny once when he wrecked his hips. These horses were dead lame and as far as my mare, I was told that she would never be ridden again. After the injections, and rest, she went on to be Dan's western pleasure youth horse for years.

It is a series of injections, usually (4) to start spaced out depending on the problem.

The only time it did not work as I would have liked was on my German Sheperd Tracey who had degenerative disk disorder and we were very aggressive in her treatment. I do not think the big dog dose would be hardly enough for the horse. As a matter of fact, my vet had to increase the large dose on my dog because it was not kicking in like it should have. I was paying $55.00 twice a week for Tracey's injections.

This is a vet thing that he should do after he evaluates your horse if he thinks she is a good candiate; but first, don't rule out founder just because there is no apparent signs in the hoof itself as founder does present in stiff legs. To save yourself a lot of money you may want to have radiographs done first of the legs to see if you are dealing with artheritis or founder. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.

I have used Adequan on my filly after her stifle locked up. Vet had me give a 1/2 dose every third day for 7 treatments, then tapered off. Seemed to help. We have seen no negative results from it. The other thing you might want to think about using is a newer product you can get through your vet it is called Hyaluronic Acid. I have seen it work wonders on both big, little horses and elderly dogs.

It is a supplement that is directed at the joints and the crepidation that forms in them. Ask your vet about it or go online and research it.

Just what Marty said, though I'd get x-rays on your mares feet. I've become the founder queen here thanks to haveing too big of a heart and an inability to say no, and you cannot always see it "in the feet".

As far as Adaquan, it's liquid gold. I like Legend as well, but for us, we end up injecting the hocks first, then using the IM injections mentioned above for maintence. It's safe, we do it ourselves, but man it's expensive.

Good luck with your mare!

Latest posts

Back